Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In that you:

Have negative emotions...all the time...and like it?

Find Dimmu Borgir's music satisfies you. Strangely. Absurdly. Beautifully...

You honestly cannot relate with people when they tell you they are "struggling" with hopelessness. You've never really "fought" it. In fact, you use feelings of hopelessness as a kind gauge for measuring how in touch with reality you actually are at any given moment - utter despair strongly indicating your probably right on track - allowing for highly accurate self-critical reflection. (Note from the author: This last clause carries strong tones of ironical self-defeat; Cf. Laziness.)

When someone casually, in passing, comments that it's either too cold or too wet to "do anything" your immediate reaction is to quickly respond in all earnesty and literality, "How do you know?" as if to verify the statement absolutely and thus justify the opening up of the floodgates of your mind and reveling with child-like self-abandon in the newly released torrent of glorious, joyful relief that had rapidly begun to accumulate and brim over upon first hearing.

In stories ultimately you do want good to prevail but passionately connect with the "bad guy" with the kind of sympathy the mother has for her child, all the while finding the good guys boring, lacking in any kind of complexity or depth of thought, having no vision whatsoever outside of conquering the perceived immediate evil e.g. "well I don't' know a lot about anything, but what I do know that the such-and such that Mr.-so-and-so is doing is clearly bad and there's no reason he's doing either he's just a sociopath and does bad things just to do them so lets launch ourselves into action and put an end to all this needless evil! Yeaah! Once we do this life is then that much mean life is totally good from here on out and there will be nothing left to accomplish whatsoever at all and nothing to live for so lets get moving! Wooooo! Yeah team!" (Good guys always work in teams solving problems, encouraging teach other, compensating for each others weaknesses in touching fashion, andall contributing one amazingly unique ability which in combination just happen to be exactly what was necessary for ultimate victory. Bad guys mostly work alone it seems).

Sometimes you have a hard time not correcting people. Even when they're 97% right. Maybe even especially so seeing how close they are to a full understanding of the issue at hand. For example, when criticized for being distant, morose, negligent, and insensitive you might naturally want to respond, "I'm not insensitive. I know how I affect people. I think the word you want is 'indifferent.'" Now we have genuine understanding.

Diystopian novels (e.g. Animal Farm, Brave New World, Lord of the Flies) are not revelations in literary form. More like "reminders" of things you already knew since you were first able to know things in the first place.

You have loads of talent, demanding utmost skill and competence of yourself in any and all pursuits, fully capable of working with people, yet the thought of working the night shift as a janitor at an elementary school for the rest of your life really doesn't sound too bad.

Upon finding that job that utilizes your talent, ability to understand thought processes of other people, and jives with the high standards you set for yourself and life, you think about it a little more and decide working the night shift as a janitor at an elementary school for the rest of your life wouldl be quite agreeable. There could be some downtime in which the possibility of sneaking in some reading would be pretty likely.

If you ever danced, the only song you could dance to is Refuse/Resist by Sepultura. Upon realizing this is impossible (requiring only .3 nanoseconds of reflection), you consider yourself relieved, knowing you now have no legitimate reason to ever dance for the rest of your life.

If someone in passing will catch you in a distant, focused state of being and affectionately and jokingly comment that you look "bored" or "serious" you respond with a bored and serious look replying, "No, I'm doing alright," and then immediately daze back off again...not even realizing until later.....and even then not really caring.

Imagine this: It's a warm, sunny day at the beach. Everywhere there are tons of happy, smiling, extroverted people who so far have lived every second of there lives utterly consumed by the present. These people are in their mid to late 20's. People are eating freshly BBQ'ed hamburgers, playing volleyball and having intense conversations about how they are eating freshly BBQ'ed hamburgers and playing volleyball. Suddenly popular music from the local radio station is being blasted from the massive sub-woofers in the back of someones S.U.V. How convenient. "Good thing we invited that guy" everyone replies in unison. Instantly everyone breaks into side splitting laughter and again collectively responding in perfect unison all together, "D00D that was sooooo hilarious that everyone said that AT THE SAME TIME because that means everyone had like almost the exact same thought in their head at like almost the exact same time and that is so off-the-hook-crazy-funny because everyone here is like all so completely different and unique and original so it is like so wicked-sick-insane that we could all actually be thinking almost the exact same thing at almost the exact same time!". Although the second corporate response was also said in unison, no one in attendance was quite clever enough to catch such a rare phenomenon happening two times in a row. Upon witnessing all these various happenings you are deeply grieved and suffer crippling regret knowing that you are not in possession of a H.T.F.R.*, effectively barring you from embarking in an attitude of heroism and humble self-sacrifice on the only morally responsible course of action. The infection can only spread from this point on. There is no hope. There is no hope........
*Hand-held Thermonuclear Fusion Reactor

I say this kiddingly. But I am not. Bye.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...I wish my alarm clock did this instead of beeping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I agree! I love Dimmu Borgir as well, but I have never seen the video for The Serpentine Offering, I've only seen the one for The Sacreligious Scorn. Anyway, back to the topic, the part about connecting with the bad guys, desiring an H.T.F.R in a situation like that, and well, everything in that post, I can relate to. Those large groups of popularity-obsessed people can get really irritating, especially when they attempt to argue with each other about pop stars. Ugh. (Sorry for the bad grammar, if I made a mistake.)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the most part I actually think Dimmu Borgir are complete losers pandering to angry 14 year olds. With that said I cannot deny I enjoy the sound of their music. Strong evidence I am in fact given over to the dark side.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The music itself is interesting enough, but I cannot be sure of the premises behind it; if it's about being 'unique', then I do not wish to be associated with it. That said, being nihilistic, solipilistic, and completely indifferent to suffering and depression seems to be a 'teenage' thing, if most adults are asked. However, in the INTP I believe it is more of a marker in self-actualization. What you describe is not necessarily the 'dark side', more of a nontraditional/gray area that has yet to be accepted and probably will not be in the near future except as a misconception.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think it's my True side, but other people see it as "Dark," so I've come to embrace the label.

I almost always identify with the bad guys. Firstly, because they're usually (but not always) more intelligent than the good guys (evil genius), but also because I kind of disagree with the motives for the good guy and agree with the bad guy. I just think there's usually more behind an "evil villain" than just the "evil" things they do. I'd have to have an example and 'splain why, though...

People would always ask what kind of superhero you'd want to be when you were little, and I'd always say, "Superhero? I'd rather be the super villian! :laughing:" After all, they're the ones who have the most fun ;p

Reactions: noctilux

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hahaha. Thanks for that, j3321, I giggled. Given the subject, it might be more appropriate to say that I cackled, but...

Well, I can't say I love the dark side. I like thunderstorms, for sure, and a twisted joke every now and again. I enjoy the occasional black and reclusive mood. But I'm afraid I'm lacking in evil. I don't usually identify with the horrible villain, nor with the brave and glamorous hero--but how many good books/films make such unrealistic distinctions anyway? I like the character who's both good and evil, or, better, the character who is neither, just human.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This might not really be an INTP thing at all. I think I just love the dark side.

I do vote for the good guys I just find I get bored doing it pretty quick. Even though it would be wrong to support the bad guy it does seem like it might be more fulfilling in some ways. I feel like the bad guy has way more respectable qualities a lot of the time. Depends on the bad guy though. Or it might just be all the heroes are ESTP's and that's why I really don't care much to watch them.

I think Vegeta is an example of a bad guy I think is way cooler than Goku (the good guy). Goku is like an ESFJ or something.He doesn't know what he's gunna do once he conquers evil. He just reacts. Vegeta has plans. They are bad plans. But at least that shows ambition.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The music itself is interesting enough, but I cannot be sure of the premises behind it; if it's about being 'unique', then I do not wish to be associated with it. That said, being nihilistic, solipilistic, and completely indifferent to suffering and depression seems to be a 'teenage' thing, if most adults are asked. However, in the INTP I believe it is more of a marker in self-actualization. What you describe is not necessarily the 'dark side', more of a nontraditional/gray area that has yet to be accepted and probably will not be in the near future except as a misconception.
Oh it's the dark side.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's my True side, but other people see it as "Dark," so I've come to embrace the label.

I almost always identify with the bad guys. Firstly, because they're usually (but not always) more intelligent than the good guys (evil genius), but also because I kind of disagree with the motives for the good guy and agree with the bad guy. I just think there's usually more behind an "evil villain" than just the "evil" things they do. I'd have to have an example and 'splain why, though...

People would always ask what kind of superhero you'd want to be when you were little, and I'd always say, "Superhero? I'd rather be the super villian! :laughing:" After all, they're the ones who have the most fun ;p
I just want the power of making people shut up. I don't know if that would make me a hero or a villain though. Seems like the right thing to do. But again I could be so lost in darkness at this point I cannot see.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love the dark side - and nowhere is that more present than in music for me. Well, actually having said that, I only really laugh at black comedy or other people's pain and misfortune, so I guess it's fairly evident in my sense of humour too.

Dimmu borgir is like britney spears to me. It just seems to lack emotional depth. I used to like them when I was about 17, but I grew out of it as I got older and realised that dakrness is inherent in the human condition - you need not look towards people who are TRYING to appear dark in order to find it - and indeed, in my opinion, many of the best examples come from elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE metal, especially black metal. I love bands like Mayhem, Silencer, Darkthrone, Anaal Nathrakh, Endstille, Setherial etc etc. BUT I find that gentle, often slow, minimal music carries more darkness, depth and "weight" to it somehow. In my opinion, true darkness requires beauty, and I would consider truely dark music to be that which is so beautiful that it becomes crushing and more devastating than you could ever get by screaming and playing hard and fast. Perhaps I'm not talking about the same kind of darkness as you, I'm not quite sure, I suppose it's all subjective really.

If anyone has spotify - here's a playlist I made to demonstrate what i'm on about. See if you agree or if i'm just crazy. Playlist by fuzz_bubble - Spotify

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Swallow the Sun is pretty good for that I think. One of my favs.

I used Dimmu Borgir as an example more for comedic effect than accuracy or anything else.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
*Post Unrelated*

Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man!
Hi I'm Joe from the Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man Store and Emporium! Due to a shipping error we are currently overstocked on Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men and are passing the savings on to you!

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Hahaha. Thanks for that, j3321, I giggled. Given the subject, it might be more appropriate to say that I cackled, but...

Well, I can't say I love the dark side. I like thunderstorms, for sure, and a twisted joke every now and again. I enjoy the occasional black and reclusive mood. But I'm afraid I'm lacking in evil. I don't usually identify with the horrible villain, nor with the brave and glamorous hero--but how many good books/films make such unrealistic distinctions anyway? I like the character who's both good and evil, or, better, the character who is neither, just human.
I also love the character who is just human.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also love the character who is just human.
Benjamin from Animal Farm rings a bell. For me at least. He's not a super anything. Nor is he the bad guy. He's just a lonely little donkey accommodating necessity without being broken. I think that's pretty awesome. Kind of subjective greatness.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Benjamin from Animal Farm rings a bell. For me at least. He's not a super anything. Nor is he the bad guy. He's just a lonely little donkey accommodating necessity without being broken. I think that's pretty awesome. Kind of subjective greatness.
I always liked that book. Everything seemed so... familiar. It shows how stupid and manipulatable some people can be.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. I often think of Benjamin when I am in a crowd of people and I don't feel like I am the crazy one.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd prolly re-do that I think looking back. I don't actually want evil to reign I just find I often do feel an emotional connection of sorts to some of them even though I do want them to fail. The bad guys are the only ones that "get it" and had the good guys been in his situation they'd have done the exact same thing but are too shallow to realize it. The bad guy is honest with himself and consistent although wrong. I just don't feel like the good guys are any better. They don't actually solve problems fundamentally, only superficially. And because they are so inept and shallow there's no reason given enough time and the right circumstnaces they could not quickly be corrupted themselves. Only they would not have the traits to actually accomplish anything once given over to the dark side.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts