Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i imagine a typical healthy INFJ being a parent- i can't help but think they'd be the best parent ever. I think i'd be pretty awesome personally, but INFJs do things in a subtle way that i don't have the knack of- i have a different approach. If i manage to snag an INFJ i'd feel like i was in a dream-team lol.

intuition and personal growth will be covered by an INFJ, as will affirming and filling their child with confidence and a sense of "all will be ok". the calming influence of INFJs must be great. a child would have respect for an INFJ, because they are smart and carry themselves with the right body language; and whilst they like to be liked, they have too much self-respect to spoil a child.

they'd also, i can imagine, have the balance between subtle influence and a sense of freedom and free-will for the kid absolutely nailed on- since this is what INFJs are great at in social situations. a mix of societal values and individual thought is also something INFJs rarely get far wrong. they'd be quite liberal parents i can imagine, and the kid would probably grow up to be well adjusted and liberal themselves.

everytime a forum member mentions they have an INFJ parent, and how much they love that, i can't help thinking "you lucky bastard" lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well I've had a few friends tell me that they think I would be a great father, but its going to be quite some time before I find out if that's true. While I can see why someone would think that INFJs would be great parents, I believe that what ultimately determines a parent's competence is independent of their personality type. What it comes down to is the effort they are willing to invest in their child. As long as someone is willing to put their child first and put out their best effort, then they're just as capable, if not more, than any INFJ would be.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. I don't think that's true with every INFJ. Don't idealize us too much. We're not all saints :p Like @FindNoEnemy, I've also been told I would make a good father when I get older but also like him, I think any type can be a great parent. All one needs is the right mindset and the right approach and I believe that any type is capable of having those things, though they might go about it in different ways.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Personally, I don't see INFJs as having the stamina for it, unless they feel they can devote their purpose to their kids.

I see myself as being/becoming incredibly distant...hidden...disorganized...and the kind of touchy that comes from being stressed out all the time. I feel like I might get resentful of the fact that my time continues to be taken or interrupted by this individual which is dependent on me.

but...i suppose if the child ended up low key...I MIGHT make a good parent. I guess I just worry that i would be kicking and screaming inside the whole way...and the WORST POSSIBLE thing would be if i was and the child could tell. how awful :unsure:

nope. I'm definitely not ready yet.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
My youngest brother was born when I was 18 so I was sort of like the third parent around the house. One thing I did notice is that I'm a lot calmer than my mother and stepfather. An example being trying to get my brother dressed. He'd get really distracted by the TV and take too long to put his socks on and they'd snap and shout at him within seconds, usually swearing too (the downside of having an Irish parent, they swear like the world is about to end). Me? I'd turn the TV off so he wouldn't get distracted and get him dressed very quickly.

If he ever throws a hissy fit with my parents it's like watching three children scream at each other. They tell him to stop, he doesn't. They start shouting, he shouts louder. Nothing is achieved. If he acts up with me I'll take a toy away and tell him to calm down. If he keeps acting up I take more toys away until he realises his bad behavior isn't doing him any good and he stops. He only gets his toys back if he apologises.

Basically, no matter how angry or out of control my brother is being, I never shout and I never lose my cool with him. Since I grew up being shouted at constantly (another Irish parent trademark) I've grown to resent it and I get really pissed off at anyone who raises their voice for no good reason.

I doubt I'll be the best parent, but I'll definitely be a calm one. And the nearly two years experience changing nappies is an added bonus. Line up, ladies. :wink:

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Good parents raise good children. And good children grow up to be come good parents. I knew a case where the child had a vivid imagination, lost in the wonder of his own world, parents were both engineers. Thay were damn good parents, as opposite in temperament to the child as could be. But they loved him, were responsible, moral people, and had a true concern - and thus interest - in his wellbeing. MBII types are rough measures of how we interface with others. They are not breeds apart. And people are nort rigidly one way -

So bact to my orighial statement - good parents engender their children to be good parents. Sadly, the reverse is true.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Good parents raise good parents--that's how it goes, to be honest.

If I were to get married, the first thing I'd look for in a woman is an interest in the safety and protection of children. That's my number one turn on.

Also, I think an ENFP would make a wonderful parent, and ENFP woman are beyond amazing. :blushed:

But the trick, however, is getting INFJs to get out of the house so they could meet someone to marry. ;)

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I have everyone constantly tell me I'm an amazing parent but tbh, I really struggle a lot and I always think in terms that I could do better. But circumstances are circumstances ... I don't want any more children. Which is ironic because I've always wanted to have a lot of children but I'm just tapped out. I do look forward to enjoying other people's children one day. I do this already in small doses. That's good for me. And when I'm an old lady, I totally want to be one of those ladies that does story time. I loved reading stories to my son and I'm really animated and have so much fun with it.

I think this question is not meant for type but for each person. It kinda bothers me that some people assert that just because good parents breed children to grow into good parents (which is not true in quite a few cases I've known personally), that the opposite is true (which again, I have seen as untrue irl experience) .. I suppose the question is .. What is a good parent ?

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
It kinda bothers me that some people assert that just because good parents breed children to grow into good parents (which is not true in quite a few cases I've known personally), that the opposite is true (which again, I have seen as untrue irl experience)
I agree with this. I could make a solid case that bad parents breed parents that are just as good if not better than good parents breed. Some of the greatest parents out there are that way because their parents weren't great. Growing up with bad parents often makes children even more motivated to be the best parents they can possibly be when it's time for them to have children.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I agree with this. I could make a solid case that bad parents breed parents that are just as good if not better than good parents breed. Some of the greatest parents out there are that way because their parents weren't great. Growing up with bad parents often makes children even more motivated to be the best parents they can possibly be when it's time for them to have children.
My dad taught me a great life lesson by example... Never do heroin. :laughing:

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
*blushing* ^.^

Thank you >.<

Reactions: Halcyon

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Are you saying parenting doesn't play as much as a role in a child's growth and development as people once thought?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts