Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people who don't ever miss their loved ones, even when they don't see them for weeks or months (like when working away from home). I wondered how common it is.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Regarding your title: YES, I can miss people
I do miss people.

Regarding your post, I see differences.
I know some people who don't ever miss their loved ones, even when they don't see them for weeks or months (like when working away from home). I wondered how common it is.
Been out from home to be isolated in the mountains, tropical forest or in another country in many diff situations. In some I was busy (makes it easier) in others had the time to think many things, and still didn't feel like missing pieces or anything. To me freedom is everything (mine and yours, everyones). So I grew up (and had influences) to love without being possesive, I can love someone without wanting this person around me all the time. I can THINK of loved ones and say to myself "damn, he/she would love this" but doesn't mean I feel pain or like something is missing inside. Most of the time I've been confident and relaxed that I would see them again after some time.

To me... from where I'm standing... (yes I see this related to your topic) I see most people teach that love must hurt, that loving must cause some feelings inside (happiness and unhappiness), that being far away should hurt or else something is wrong. Well, besides whenever I've been out and far away it's been in situations none of my relatives or loved ones can share, be or tolerate.

During love relationships this has been different, I feel like something is missing inside, a need, but is manageable. This is way different for the rest of people I know or care, why? we all are separate ways, all but my GF or in any case if any, the wife, all the rest are paths that go distant from mine from time to time, GF or wife are the only paths that could go or should be near, parallel or next to mine (Still I don't think is "the same path" or that it should be), I don't think relationships should kill personality or individuality.

For whatever is worth, I've been a caretaker, in most scenarios I'm the one taking care of loved ones, perhaps... perhaps alone time is not only needed but healthy and that's why it feels welcome.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Yes, but I probably try not to think about it too much so as not to prompt the feelings.

It might become more intense as I've just moved countries and will be away from my family for longer than ever before.
But it's only been nearly 2 weeks, so not really enough to have it come pouring out.
Though it was more intense at the day of saying goodbye.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I miss people often, but only few. I love missing people. I think I find significance through relationships, and the fact that I am missing someone means that the relationship was strong enough to leave something behind.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
i dont miss people... i think about my friends and family all the time, but i dont "miss" them.
Exactly.

I don't know if this is also a cultural thing. In my country there have been many times where there "public" complains about the airport construction, why? because it doesn't allow spaces to stay and say goodbye, most areas are only for people who are traveling. In most cases when someone travels the whole family is there saying goodbye, and I mean lots of family members. Even... if the one traveling... goes away only for 2 days... Sounds silly to me.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Short moments of intense realisations leading to a burst of heavy anxiety can happen if there was some sort of meaningful exchange between us. Overall: No, I don't miss people.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Nope. I think there was only one time in my life when I can say I missed someone, but that was very short.
Besides that, I am too ego-centric to miss anyone.

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
You didn't make it a poll.

I miss people terribly. Most people I miss, even the ones that I disagree with a lot. I just seem to like/love everyone. It's a problem, I guess.

I make overtures to old friends all the time, and, rather than seize the moment, take the action as more the truth than the intervening time which we both allowed, most of them act wounded and hurt as if I was the only one who could have made contact. This self-inflicted lack of agency, for men and women, is appalling to me. I just don't get it. I pick up right where we left off, not assuming they have not changed, but genuinely interested to discover and discuss how we both have changed. They, almost invariably, cannot or will not.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Absolutely. It’s a sort of wistful feeling at times that is almost enjoyable. As someone else noted, it sort of emphasizes their significance to me. It’s as if I require a bit of longing to fully value the impact someone has on me. I guess that’s why there’s the phrase “absence makes the heart grow fonder”.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
if i'm dating the person, or are in a serious relationship with them, then yes i can miss someone.

but outside of that, i feel it sometimes for people who would just always light up everyone's day, or wistfully for those with whom i know the relationship (friendship or otherwise) never came to fruition. but that last bit wouldn't really be the same i guess.

i don't really miss people. i think that'll change as i get older and am better able to appreciate people/find said people. and honestly, that is proving true.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Hahahahahahahahhahahaha xD

I don't like missing people because missing people only leaves me sad.

But i don't fucking know.

Sometimes i miss someone but i don't dwell. Because duh. XD

It cannot be helped

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It's rare that I miss people.

The feeling of missing someone is very temporary, fleeting, almost like a surge at the time, which prompts me to reach out to them. So it serves that purpose rather than being something to dwell on.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
After some time, yes. Probably after a month of 3. I'm not someone who misses someone easily, unless in a intimate relationship, but single life for ehm.. hopefully not my whole life.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Yes, I miss people that I value. I'm not a possessive person, I greatly enjoy my alone time, I'm capable of entertaining myself etc. etc. but nothing can really replace the person's company when you enjoy spending time with them. It's not like pain like I've lost a limb or something (unless I have no chance of ever seeing them again). Sometimes I might think "I wish so and so was here because this would be more enjoyable with them. They would enjoy this, I would enjoy this." Imagining they are there is the next best thing.

With loved ones who have passed away it's the worst because you're not going to see them for the rest of your lifetime. It can be hard to accept. Of course there's a whole grieving process that comes with that. You think about all of the things you were supposed to share together and now you can't. I still believe I'll see them again some day so it's a passing thought and I eventually come to accept it but it's more fresh when they've just passed away.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts