Personality Cafe banner

Do you miss words when you type or write?

• Never

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • All the time

Votes: 13 40.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I type, that I forget words. It happens when I write as well.

For example: "I wonder if there others who have this problem."

I left out "are" in the above sentence. I've noticed that I do this a lot when I type, and I don't usually notice it, until I re-read what I have typed, and then I still miss the errors sometimes. It irks me because I look at the screen when I type, not the keyboard, and I'm aware that I do this, so I pay careful attention so as to not do it, and I still do it. I type the word out in my head, but it's as if the signal fails to reach my fingers. So I was wondering if anyone else within the forums has this annoying little problem also?

I can't help but wonder if it's more common amongst INTJ's than other types, simply because we, or atleast I, tend to think a lot faster then I can type, or write. My brain is 4 sentences ahead of the one I am currently typing or writing.

So, anyone else?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Since I was a child I noticed this phenomenon. It was far worse then, but now that I have practiced writing by writing intensively, it troubles me much less now. It took a lot of hard work to really slow down my thoughts but that's the only way. Remember our thoughts are more powerful at slower speeds, so it really does not limit you, just hard to develop.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Sometimes...

Although... at the moment I'm learning sign language.

It's hella awesome... so much more straight forward than English.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Occasionally; it drives me bonkers when I do, but my anal thoroughness in finding the exact word for my purposes helps defend against it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't, really. Does that make me strange?

Still, I tend to leave out the pronoun "I" when writing and speaking, bu that's almost intentional.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guilty as charged - but I find that if I read it back to myself outloud, or in a very quiet whisper at work, then I pick up any errors. Rereading doesn't work for me if I literally just reread it.
Hmm. I never thought of doing that, actually speaking out loud while re-reading it. I shall have to try that. :happy:

·
Registered
38 Posts
It tends to happen to me more when I'm writing seriously than when I'm writing creatively. I never seem to leave out 'important' words though, so at least the basic idea can still be inferred.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I've noticed do. And then the INTPs flock over to scoff at the resulting nonsensical grammar.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I do it constantly. I think it comes from reading and writing in sentences, not words. Most people who read a lot are not actually focused on individual words, but on phrases and sentences. That makes me a fast reader, although I sometimes miss important details. The problem comes when I write in sentences, and find I have left out bunches of words. Ususally it is just articles, such as "a" or "the." So annoying.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I do it a good bit. I first noticed it when I was a kid and have always attributed it to my hands not keeping up with my brain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts