Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this with myself and I figure it might be true with other INFJs. Clearly, I am not detail oriented, yet I APPEAR organized but am truly scatterbrained. The only way I noticed I appear organized is to make a daily routine for myself. With work, just always placing papers in the same place and just going through the same daily procedure is the only way I remember. Otherwise, I'm too scatterbrained to keep it organized.

·
Registered
🌈🎹☮ INFJ 666 sx/sp 🇺🇸💃🏻💋
4,067 Posts
I am the exact same way. Routines, and lists, and making sure things always get put back in the same place. I couldn't function if I didn't. I remember one time someone complimented my organizational skills, and I remember thinking, "If you only knew....."

·
Registered
INFP
1,317 Posts
Yea, I'm also like that. I often let my keys, wallet and watch in a pile over my desk before going to sleep every night so I can find them every morning. I also tend to make list of "to do things". I also use active desktop calendar to remember my exam date and appointment. I need some sort of systems otherwise I wouldn't be able to remember everything.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No. I dislike making physical lists unless things get too big for me to catalog alone from memory.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. I dislike making physical lists unless things get too big for me to catalog alone from memory.
See, I don't make "To-Do lists".... as I typically remember that stuff or remember as I go. However, I just live by a routine and "procedure". If I did not live by a routine, then I'd forget and lose everything!!

Reactions: Navis Amoris

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use routine and notes to help me remember.

When I was younger I used to keep a journal on the amount of weights I lifted. But soon it became too tedious for my liking. I may pay attention to details but not that much. So I stopped recording my journal. Nowadays when I am in the gym, it is very routine and I can roughly remember how much I should lift. It's also because I go regularly. I have found that when I am in my gym routine, my mind switches off and I don't actively remember, I just go about it pretty mechanically.

I also like having routine in my day where I divide my time for specific tasks. If I don't do this, the entire system comes to a halt as I can waste a lot of time wondering what to do next. Also if something disrupts my routine, I can become disoriented as I try to grapple with an unexpected change. So I guess when I am in my routine, again I don't have to make an effort to remember, I just go about it like a robot. It's more efficient that way. And I can also daydream in between.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Oh yes, I have a routine for everything. After I park my car, first I'll turn off the engine, then I'll pull up the handbrake, unfasten my seatbelt, take the keys out of the contact, open the door, get out, close the door and lock the door. But all of this happens so subconciously that I'll often go back to check if I really did lock the door.

If I didn't have this kind of automatic pilot-routine I'd forget to do damn near everything.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I do and don't do this... I fall out of this pattern when I am not under stress, and when I am under stress I go straight back into it. So my answer is, "Yeah, No."

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yes, this is totally me. I definitely need a routine. I also love Post-Itz. I have to write stuff down, leave it in the same place make it a habit, etc. Not only am I not detail-oriented, but I'm often completely in my own world and overlook everything that's not right in front of me.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Yes, I do.

I wake up at the same time each day ( I don't even need an alarm clock), eat the same thing, take the same route from home to school and so on.

I need to remind myself from time to time to do things a little bit different, not because I get bored of it, but because I'm too dependent on my routine and comfort zone.

I'm also a big fan of making schedules and plans. 60% of those plans never come the way I expect them to be, but it gives me a sense of direction and purpose which is something that gives me a peace of mind, otherwise I start to get anxious and scattered and nothing gets achieved.

Reactions: Navis Amoris

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I use systems or a structure but not necessarily to remember

Like i use one for meal times. I don't forget to eat, but it's more if I let it go till I'm hungry I'll eat badly (even if I have food prepared ahead of time). Over eat or just feel unsatisfied in general

I also put my things always in the same spot. Organizing my cupboards according to theme, books, etc

I've really kind of just 'minimized' my life as a whole, so I am generally pretty one-track or two track and I don't need to have any schedules to make sure I am getting everything done... I don't have a lot of things to take care of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts