Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I definitely enjoy discussing and debating ideas, but usually not in front of a group. I just hate debating unless it's one on one. Otherwise there's too much going on. So, how much do you require, and how many people do you prefer?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I only enjoy debating with people who are in my intellectual range or above.
All others I just make fun of for a lil while then doorslam!

Reactions: SophiaScorpia

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I tend to be too close-minded to others' ideas to debate properly, apparently. However, I do like to defend my ideas when challenged, and I like debates, because it allows me to learn more about MY ideas, and forces me to go deeper in them. It would be much more fun if I was able to put what I want to say into words, which isn't exactly easy. I just give up most of the time, mostly by pretending to be retarded (it's funny to see other peoples' egos inflate the way they do when I act retarded). I usually do one-on-one debates, but I also don't mind including various people. I hate debates that don't make sense, or when one or more parties get defensive and start taking it personally, but insist on continuing the debate. I fucking hate that.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Depends on what it is. Strategically speaking many times it is best to let a group endorse and put the finishing touches on the idea if it requires the group to execute it. I've learned to work well in a group setting, but also do a lot of research and brainstorming on my own.

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
I love exchanging ideas with my INTJ. He is fantastic at processing my often messy thoughts/random bits of information I've collected. If I try to debate him one on one he will shoot me down in less than two seconds flat (still doesn’t stop me from trying, it’s the temptation, it’s too irresistible. Though he does also like to bait me a lot just to see how far I’ll go).
Texting however is a lot of fun, it gives me a chance to compile and refine my thoughts/arguments before I give them to him. We’ve had discussions/debates that last days this way. I absolutely love the way he is able to work my arguments around into something that I morally cannot refute – watching the process is like watching a work of art. He’s more than once complimented me on how I managed to form an argument or reach a conclusion (generally the same conclusion he’s come up with). One time he got me so rallied up that I Te-exploded on him and he burst out laughing stating he had used the exact same argument with someone else only days before. He couldn’t refute his own argument so he gave me that one... before pulling apart the rest of what I said, lol. I think he was a little bit proud of me. :kitteh:

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,367 Posts
I like getting ideas from people and finding how I can modify them to make them work for me. I like discussions and 'brainstorming' in general. I tend to clam up a bit around aggressive debaters or people trying to 'win' a simple discussion. My maximum is around four people unless it's special and I'm interested. It's really all about the ideas.

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
debating? absolutely no, not ever.

reflecting in one on one situations or small groups of trusted people is all I do. I hate debates.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like debating quite a bit, so long as everyone leaves emotions, pride and personal stakes at the door. If I go into it willing to listen, learn or change my mind then I expect the same from them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room.

But seriously, I love a good debate, especially one-on-one. I'm not really allowed to do it anymore though, since I can be an annoying twit, in that I can easily put myself into both roles, see what the other side is thinking, predict their arguments, and already have a counter-argument ready. As a result of that, I have four friends who don't even bother debating with me, and my SO has absolutely outlawed any form of debating (even lovers' quarrels) in the household.

So, I love to bounce ideas around and debate, but I rarely get the chance to do it anymore -shrugs-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts