Personality Cafe banner

Can you just, like, answer it pls

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't necessarily need to love it, but I don't want to hate it, either.

I'm mostly aiming towards just having a likable job, something I don't mind getting out of bed and doing each day. As long as I can pay my bills and have enough money to "do cool stuff", then I don't really have high expectations for my future career.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I do like my job, but I would absolutely not do it for free. It can be quite stressful! No self-respecting human would put themselves through that kind of stress if there wasn't anything in it for them. People work to survive.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I chose the second one; if I don't completely love something but it's not insufferable and it has value to others, to improving society and whatnot.. I probably would grow to hate doing it without any extrinsic reward (i.e. money, or at least it has to be a promising investment for a better-paying job later). Because it starts to seem more like busy work and mental masturbation over my skill set than anything actually meaningful. And I resent doing stuff like that.

I don't think I need to be passionate about a career though - I have yet to experience a job or anything really where the passion hasn't faded over time anyway. Maybe that'll change one day, but sometimes I wonder if people who talk about loving their careers and having a "true passion" really mean what they say, or if they're romanticizing it.

Only if I had to work for free would I REALLY have to be in love with whatever I'm doing, and have no other reason for doing so.

·
Banned
5,979 Posts
I think that people shouldn't define their lives by what they do for a living as much as what they do for free, especially if their work is unfulfilling both financially and emotionally. Sadly though, it's getting harder and harder for people to get free time that they can spend on other pursuits.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I didn't vote because a fulfilling job, is only one part of life, you also need to have good interpersonal relationships and intrapersonal relationships, you need to have a good family life, (which may be dependent on boundaries and the amount of distance between you and your family), you need to be good at managing your health as well.

Reactions: prsvrnc

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I voted I need to like it, but I work to pay bills and do cool stuff.

I think I also work to fill a need to work and to contribute - I took a semester off after college and I became bored and overwhelmed with feeling down very quickly. Even if I didn't need to work for the money, I think I would still work, even though maybe I would choose less hours, or slightly different conditions. I like the collaborative social environment of a workplace and I like laboring towards a cause bigger than myself. It helps make my life rich and meaningful.

But as for liking versus loving, I've worked most of the working years of my life in jobs that I didn't LOVE, and I've had a lot of happiness anyway. So I think I need to have aspects of my job that I like - enough to make me like the job overall - but I don't think I have to absolutely love it to be happy anyway.

Reactions: prsvrnc

·
Registered
134 Posts
After about 15 years as an adult, I’ve learned that I seriously couldn’t care less about money. It’s part of the reason it was so natural for me to embrace a minimalist lifestyle...
So on the flip side I’ve discovered if I don’t love my job, I’ll hate it. I can’t make myself do a job that doesn’t get me seriously excited no matter HOW little I’m getting paid.
I’m about to start a new part-time retail job at $15/hr, at a store and workshop for furniture made from only local wood, by local carpenters...their commitment to ethical values is hardcore. I'm TOTALLY excited about this one...!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had lots of jobs that I loved, but none of them paid very well. More importantly, they all turned into work sooner or later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In an ideal world, having a loving career would be pleasant but I've been disappointed many times by the "real" world. I find that I just have to put up with work, people and stuff. In the end, any work brings food on the table and shelter over my head. Although money can't buy my happiness, it's the next best thing I guess. I sell my brain to the highest bidder and tell my brain to love it. It's all a matter of perspective and choosing the good in any thing so they say.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I like to think that the way I spend my time says a lot about me - it defines the kind of person I am, what my interests are, what I care about, how I approach things... if the way I spend my time is not representative of who I am, then I won't be fulfilled. I want to spend my time doing something that I enjoy and am good at; and being compensated for it whilst adding value to society... there's no alternative IMO. I personally couldn't bear the thought of doing some mundane job just to pay the bills, and spending most of my time doing it at that. Thankfully I have the opportunity to put my skills and interests to good use.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
Yes. Because you spend your 10hours every day times five in a week.. Times 4 in a month, times 12 in a year.

So basically, you have to love it because it's what you do most of your life.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Had an interesting discussion today about this. Someone was talking how they couldn't be happy doing a job they didn't love. The guy was ISFP and I told him that I, personally, don't need to love my job. In the end, money is the most important thing to me. I can do what I love doing on my own time. So, what about you all?
If I love the job I unintentionally sacrifice the rest of my life for the job (and some cash). The job/career has to be 'good enough' for my own sake. There is a sweet spot: Do as little as I can, for as much as possible and have enough to do to not get permanently bored. Take advantage of everything the employer has to offer. Find loopholes -> use them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, I need to enjoy not only what I do, but the company culture, my peers, and the type of environment. I'm fortunate that I've already achieved all of those things in my current career, though.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Chose the second one. I don't expect to be personally fulfilled in work; I will pursue that in my private time with hobbies and whatnot. If I happen to find what I love, then needless to say that would be a nice thing.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,461 Posts
I don't know how long I could go doing work that I hated. I don't think I have to love it, but I'd better be able to find something about it I enjoy, or I'm a dead duck.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
There is a sweet spot: Do as little as I can, for as much as possible and have enough to do to not get permanently bored. Take advantage of everything the employer has to offer. Find loopholes -> use them.
Amen to this! Haha. I have that now and I am getting spoiled.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The whole "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life" thing sounds nice, but you should probably do what you're good at instead, so you won't starve.

As for me, I couldn't do a job I hated (not for any length of time), but I could begrudgingly "put up with it" if I merely dislike it. Happiness comes from your personal life.

Good on those who can get the best of both worlds though.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Had an interesting discussion today about this. Someone was talking how they couldn't be happy doing a job they didn't love. The guy was ISFP and I told him that I, personally, don't need to love my job. In the end, money is the most important thing to me. I can do what I love doing on my own time. So, what about you all?
You and I have the same philosophy. I do my job so I can do whatever I want outside my job. I don't make my job my life, nor my source of fulfillment.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
I had lots of jobs already and i cannot imagine staying in one job for a very long time

21 - 40 of 134 Posts