Personality Cafe banner

Can you just, like, answer it pls

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Should you perhaps prepare yourself for the insane money challenges that might come your way as an adult when you’re a youngster? Or should you just enjoy your youngster life(teenage etc.) to the fullest and take the adult-life money challenges as they come when u’re further into your career? Like, I am an 14year old INFP, and I now understand INFPs tend to struggle w money a lot so..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah, I need to love my job and find it both interesting and worth while otherwise I start to hate going to work.

I've twice shifted companies for this reason. On both occasion it was a mixture of not being busy enough + it just wasn't a field I wanted to be working in. I'd be lying too if I didn't admit to money being an issue on the first occasion too.

I've joked before that if I got paid enough, I'd put up with it, but in reality, I know I'd end up feeling hollow.

·
Registered
984 Posts
All parts of a person's life blend together with time.... personal, professional, social, romantic, etc . Things tend to spill over to other areas. So basically it's hard to have a happy life overall if your career is not loved to a sufficient degree. Furthermore, happiness has a rose-colored glasses vibe, so everything appears great when you're happy. That means if you don't love your career, it may actually be due to unhappiness or other reasons than the personal connection to the career itself. It works both ways, all areas of your life to one another and to your overall happiness, and your overall happiness to all areas of your life.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The problem is, we don't know what to expect from a career because we haven't experienced the career ourselves, yet we're expected to pick one we are passionate about for the rest of our time alive and then enjoy it for most of that time. I don't know. That seems unrealistic to me. You can get insight into what you're getting yourself into, but there are unknowns at play that must be accepted. So perhaps it is unknown whether loving your career is really needed for a happy fulfilling life. There is no magic formula.

·
Banned
17,616 Posts
If I'm not loving my employment, life gets nightmarish. If I had a lot of money, I would use it to buy land and tools for the work I'd love to do. I'd love to spend my day building self sufficient sanctuaries away from the rat race. I imagine the people living there would feel better not having to conform to someone's silly expectations in order to make a buck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I need to like it a moderate amount, but I don't have to be head-over-heels in love with my job. I just need to tolerate it and like it enough to be happy.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Absolutely (for me at least).Of course, some people with sh^tty jobs might be able to get by due to having a good family/spouse/partner, great pay, a happy social life,etc.

For those of us who lack or just don't care for such things, well......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Buddhist Quandary

Namaste

From a Buddhist point of view their are two answers that are correct. On the one hand you have Love; A Divine love, permeating Love and Kindness in all directions freely for all.
And you have the Nihilistic answer which is also right; We all suffer, and one day are bodies will fail us.
So I chose neither. I'm curious to find out if i was the only one to pose this philosophical conundrum.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
If your career/work makes you happy, I wish you a sincere mazel tov.

I've had a few career changes. I experienced 'buyer’s remorse' with each one. They all became boring after the novelty wore off. I guess I'll just keep riding the paddle steamers down the Mississippi.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my career - I am an RN. There are SO many aspects of nursing - hospitals or offices, numerous fields within (cardiology, general surgery, nephrology, oncology), working with people or working with numbers... nursing has been a godsend for me. I have the option to work FOR a place of employment, or contract myself out and be a travel nurse, both of which I have done. I prefer working on our step-down ICU unit at an LTAC (very specific), but my friend prefers working fast paced and hectic ER. There is literally something for everyone!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i dont think i could work at a job i dont like for too long. ill atleast look for a job that i like, but i dont need to love the work. as long as i dont hate it im fine with it

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,841 Posts
To me - money is most important. I trust myself to be responsible with my money. The pros strongly outweigh the cons of having a lot of money. Also if I want to raise a family someday, it’s a lot better to be wealthy especially from an education perspective.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes. Spending 6-8 hours in a place that you are inefficient in or a place that makes you disgusted or angry would hardly contribute to one's general mood and happiness, and also it would reap from efficiency, which for me is a major bonus for what I am doing. If I am efficient at it, it's a great boon.

I agree on life's meaninglessness and irony, and how funny everything seems. Yet I don't choose being an escapist by rationalizing my inefficiency and lack of sublimation with this argument.

Bottom line; I love myself, and as I love myself I want to love the things that I put myself and my effort within. Ergo, the job that I am to do has to be fulfilling for me in every possible aspect.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I read something I liked recently, where the author explained that she simply tries to get closer to what she wants her life to be like each time she makes a decision.

I thought this was a great approach, especially for an idealist like me who almost never feels like things are as good as they could be. So I've started to think more this way and it's actually great. I used to obsess endlessly over the "perfect" career for me to no avail. The upside of that is I brainstormed and researched a lot. But now I can look at my present job and say - ok, it's not perfect, but it's better than the job I had before for [x, y, z] reasons. And when I consider what I'd like to do for my next job, I'm not obsessed over it being perfect - just closer to what I'd like. It's so much easier and less stressful.

I do want to love my career, in the sense of my vocation/purpose/labor of love, but I think I sort of already do. My career love is helping people in a constructive way and I have opportunities to do that at my current job - just not enough of them. I want to move towards something where I can do that more, in a way that still works for my sensitive, quirky, creative INFP self.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally, I have to love what I'm doing for what it is and how it will contribute to society to enjoy the job I'm doing. Money is certainly a factor to pay attention to, but it's nothing when I consider my level of passion that goes towards having that job. Knowing that I'm doing something I enjoy and is contributing to society in my own special way is what I need to feel fulfilled. :smilee:

81 - 100 of 134 Posts