Personality Cafe banner

Can you just, like, answer it pls

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I was born with a few gifts or talents and felt a call, a natural pull or direction. The talents supported the call, and were instrumental in getting certain positions. I cared little about the money as long as I was doing what I liked. That the work ended up paying rather well was an aside. I think I did what I was meant to do, and worked where I was supposed to work.

That said, ample funds are better than the poverty that can accompany a person’s dreams. But the dream is important. We should dare to dream and not underestimate ourselves. Living the dream is a rewarding personal experience.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I naturally gravitate to things that I like to do. That which I like becomes a focus until I achieve expert-level mastery. That workmanship stands out, and I find that paths open up that allow me choose to take on new roles and responsibilities that better fit my interests, etc.

So, even if I'm doing a job that wouldn't normally be very fulfilling, I look for those situations where the methodology above can be put into practice. It usually doesn't take more than a few weeks or months and I find myself being shuffled into areas where I'm more fulfilled and better utilized.

My first job out of school was with a small company that was very poorly run. I started out making $26K a year. Within months, I was getting raises, $2k here, $4k there...and in the first two years I was approaching $40k. After 10 years, I had topped out at $60k and things weren't getting better. Around that time, I found out how much the C-level players were paying themselves (family-run business where all the top brass were siblings), and insisted that they pay me $80k. The answer was, "Of course! We're surprised you didn't come to us and demand this sooner."

What a stupid thing to say to someone. At that point, I was sure I was still woefully underpaid for what I was doing and the value I brought to that company, but I didn't have enough experience with other companies, plus I was laboring under the fallacy that "If I just work hard, they'll recognize that and pay me what I'm worth!" Sometimes that's true. Often it is not.

After another 5 years, I realized I was in a total dead-end situation and it was never going to improve where I was. I left that company and negotiated a deal with a different company for $103.5k. This was like a magical new level of life experience. We could finally afford to live at the lifestyle level we wanted without worrying about making ends meet. Our savings account was actually accruing some value, etc.

At this point I had 17 years in my industry and was well-known. The biggest player in that particular market reached out and poached me away with a larger offering. THIS company does recognize talent and pay for it. There are yearly bonuses that are based on profit, but are still very generous. Great benefits, and regular performance-based raises.

I have done all of this coming from abject poverty, mentally unstable, abusive, and drug/alcohol-addicted parents. (Ever ask your dad for $20 for gas for the car? My dad would ask me for $20 for smokes and a 6-pack.) My highest degree is a 2-year associates degree from a now-defunct technical school in an engineering field that is only tangentially related to what I do. I am primarily self-educated, because government schools are mostly garbage and have been for over 40 years.

Whenever I hear people lament how hard or unfair life is, I usually just put on an impassive mask and try to move away from them as quickly as possible. So many people have so many advantages and squander them. They spend their entire lives blaming someone else - their parents, society, their boss, their spouse, or "circumstances". People like that will ALWAYS find themselves in a miserable and "unfair" situation, because they carry it around with them everywhere they go.

YOU are the biggest problem in your life. The sooner you can come to grips with that, accept responsibility, and determine to make the change, the sooner your life will begin to change. But most people aren't capable of such a self-directed life-changing experience. And the longer you wait to make this conscious decision, the less likely you are to ever be capable of doing it.

The human brain is still forming until about your 30th birthday. After the age of 30, the neural pathways inside your brain are set. Physically unchanging and unchangeable. This is why older people rarely change their political orientation after 30. They can't. Their method of reasoning - how they take information in, how they process it, and how they apply it to themselves - is fixed forever.

If you're young, you still have a chance. Don't squander it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm having a major mid life crisis that's at least partly about hating my career. I used to really love it when I was younger, but those days are far gone now, and I don't see them returning (I loved my work because of things that either don't apply anymore or that I don't care about anymore). I'm happy-ish in my life otherwise, but it does take a lot out of me to hate my job this much.

I feel too old to try to build another career (I would need to go study something completely different first and start from nothing, with people half my age competing for those entry level positions), so now I fantasize about downsizing and having a simple no-stress job that just pays the bills. But I doubt that I'll ever have the courage to do it.

·
Banned
17,616 Posts
I'm a dishwasher. My boss asked me if I took pride in my work. I told him I just work. He seemed confused by my answer. The real reward comes from learning about different egos, how they were constructed, and how to deconstruct them. I also get to learn about myself and adjust accordingly. I went through a couple of years as a psych major. In retrospect, the professors were totally unaware of what it means to rescue someone.

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
It depends. If you have a financial safety net thanks to a supportive family as well as access to diverse education/training opportunities--and you live somewhere where different job opportunities are available, then you can take the time to find out what career makes you feel fulfilled. If you're not lucky enough to be in this position, then all you can do is make the best of your circumstances and available opportunities. Some people find fulfillment outside of work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Careers is the least place from where I would expect happiness. I always was original, I mean, I have never put too much in a career. If I got a promotion it was because I naturally stood out for that, never much effort. World needs original ideas, no exaggeration, true feelings, authenticity, and with all that an overwhelming desire of never quitting.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Working is one of th things that I put for my importance to anything else.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,652 Posts
I think you should... to a minimum at least mildly like it. It has to generate at least some minimal amount of pleasure. If you're neutral or negative towards your job, you will feel it is a chore and doing a daily chore for X hours per day... It's not a good way to live a happy life.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think it's pretty important but as long as you have people around you in your life that you love you'll be fine. Of course you're not supposed to hate your job, but if you're okay with it and it enables you to live a good life with your loved ones it should be fine. Unless you would love to do something different. You should always give your dreams shot, if I'm making any sense

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
well not really, one just needs to have a purpose.
it can be completely removed from having a "career."
the only caveat being that there needs to be acceptable progression to the individuals liking in that job space, it can even be as simple as a yearly raise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
All the jobs that actually interest me take 6-12 years of school (veterinarian, wildlife researcher, surgeon) and I don't have enough money for that. For me, work is just a way to fund the hobbies that you actually enjoy. It's a necessary evil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Many people state that they don't need to love their career, that they're quite content to work in a job that they don't feel passion for in order to earn money. Indeed, I suspect the majority of people are in this category. I'm definitely not.

Although I can work for the sake of a wage, rather than for love of the job, in order to have the financial means for both basic necessities and, ideally, to afford books and other things I am passionate about, I definitely can't do this for too long. I've definitely experienced working in jobs that weren't ones I loved but I've little desire to return to this state of affairs.

I have worked from the time I reached the minimum age to earn money, starting from when I was 15 and at high school, when I began working part-time as a cashier and shop assistant on weekends, Thursday nights, and during school holidays. After doing this for a few years, I took a year off before attending University and worked full-time for a year in a job that I certainly didn't love! It involved getting up at around 4 am every morning and travelling a few hours by train into the CBD Monday to Friday, working as an Administrative Assistant in a Chartered Accountants' Firm. It wasn't exciting work, indeed it was rather tedious and I was just thankful that I got to leave the Office to undertake errands about the CBD since I detest being couped up in offices and surrounded by people - as is typical of an INTJ and a 5 (on the Enneagram). I didn't get home until around 8pm each workday. However, I wanted to be independent of my parents and save funds to help my beginning University studies.

That said, I prefer to love what I do! Thankfully I am able to do this now as a professional freelance writer even though it's not as much money as I would like, and as a result I am looking to upgrade my qualifications in order to go overseas and teach English as an adjunct to my writing. I definitely need the money! I am aiming to move from freelancing to being an author and earning a living from that but it's a long-term goal and it will take time as well as a considerable amount of luck - one's ability as a writer isn't always going to guarantee success in becoming a full-time author, especially since who one knows and the publicity machine is integral to getting published.

People spend so many hours working that their physical and psychological health and well being frequently goes out the window after some time, and I believe that one should endeavour to find a job in which one can feel both positively challenged and happy. Otherwise, one spends far too much of one's life in a job without any personal satisfaction besides earning a paycheck. There needs to be more than just the money, unless one's a complete materialist! - the majority of one's life will be spent working, for most people, and I believe it should be time that's enjoyed.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Yes. Of course you do.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
People spend so many hours working that their physical and psychological health and well being frequently goes out the window after some time, and I believe that one should endeavour to find a job in which one can feel both positively challenged and happy. Otherwise, one spends far too much of one's life in a job without any personal satisfaction besides earning a paycheck. There needs to be more than just the money, unless one's a complete materialist! - the majority of one's life will be spent working, for most people, and I believe it should be time that's enjoyed.
I'll argue this is what happens when applying passion for your job.
Too many work too much for no absolute gains hence if you're not earning money from your passion (having 'endless energy/motivation') you SHOULD work as little as possible. In the long run your health will thank you!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
At a job of any kind you will need everything to think about. That includes passions and money.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put some serious thought into my major and career choice, because I wanted both a good salary and work/life balance. With those two things in mind I considered what I'm good at and then made a plan and went for it. With all those factors I'm generally going to like my job unless it's insanely stressful, which it isn't. Love? Well, I'm realistic enough to settle for an average of like.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't need to like my job I just need to not hate it which for me means manual labor since it's the only type of job I find honest. I tried law enforcement, law, and journalism before that and they had an agenda to all of them that put me off but that's a different topic I think.

I personally think if you're looking for fulfillment or happiness in your job or career you're looking in the wrong place.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts