Personality Cafe banner

Do you tend to not notice many noises until someone points them out to you?

• Ni/Se don't usually notice

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Ni/Se do notice

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Se/Ni don't usually notice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Se/Ni do notice

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Ne/Si don't usually notice

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Ne/Si do notice

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Si/Ne don't usually notice

• Si/Ne do notice

Do you Not notice a lot of noises until Someone Points Them Out to you?

609 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Purrfessor 
#1 ·
This may sound crazy, but watching a behind the scenes bit about making sound effects for some movie caused a bit of a revelation for me - there are a lot of 'sound effects' in real life that I have always been completely oblivious to (it was a while back but I don't think I've asked this specifically before).

So I'm wondering about others who, like me, went for a long time without ever thinking about everyday noises even existing, like:
- chewing
- the shuffling or pat-patting of flip-flops
- someone's habit of sniffing or clearing their throat
- someone fiddling with a zipper pull or picking at a tiny logo-tab on their jeans, etc.
- the tapping of a pen, or scratching of a pencil while someone writes
- opening and closing a milk carton
- scratching your arm
- the soft bump of cupboard doors closing
you get the idea, all those little sounds.

While I'm sure a lot of people generally tune them out, I'm just wondering if for some people it's actually a little surprising to realize that they actually aren't silent actions. I'm sort of wondering if perceiving functions would have any influence on how aware you are of these?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes. I'm very sensitive to what you mentioned. If you listen to this track really closely, you can hear what sounds like someone talking on a telephone in the background. Me and my friend were in his car and no matter how many times I tried to convince him, he still couldn't hear it.

#3 ·
What sort of list of cognitive functions are these? I'm Ne dom.

I notice noises, unless my attention is firmly locked on something else. I HATE the sound of rustling plastic grocery bags when I'm driving, particularly if it's behind me.

#4 ·
I notice practically every noise around me if I'm not focused on something. I'm an auditory learner so maybe that's why. I miss a lot of visual stuff.

#5 ·
I'm highly sensitive to noises. I can almost recognize the way someone walks. It's more of a stress flight or fight instinct. I get frightened very easily by noises. The "boo" jump scare tactic was invented to creep out people like me. All my senses are rather dull otherwise. Especially smell!

#6 ·
I always notice background noises. It's like constant additional info of what surrounds me. In this moment I can hear the fridge making noises, the sound of a bird in the distance, someone who's opening the rolling shutters, someone who's using the drill, cars in the distance, my dogs breathing... Maybe it's a bit like @Maiko_Hima said: we have to be conscious of what is happening around us to be sure there is no danger. But if you are in a safe setting your hearing 'relaxes' and you don't notice common sounds?

#7 ·
No it's not at all about danger for me. More rather curiosity and exploration.

Reactions: Aelthwyn
#8 ·
You wrote that you notice noises when you are not focused on something. But what when you are doing something? Sometimes I like to listen to sounds around me for curiosity (it depends where I am ofc) but if I am doing an activity I still receive info from my surroundings. It's like dogs that listen to a lot of sounds but become alert only with specific sounds. I don't listen for an eventual danger but I think that our brain still scans sounds for this purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.