Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this conversation at a party recently

Friend (NF) - "I keep all the cute cards from my Birthday's and Christmas', including your ones..."
Me - "I don't keep yours, but if the card has a cool front, I will cut out and chuck the part with the message and stick the picture in my art book or on my wall for decoration..."

She thought I was being a bit of a bitch, but I was only telling the truth.
I don't find I really hold onto things like that...
If I have clothes that I have grown out of, the most plausible reason
as to why they are still in my wardrobe is because I haven't gotten
round to clearing it out and donating it to Lifeline.

So, I am curious.
Do NTs keep sentimentally "valuable" things like cards or clothes ???
If not cards etc. then what?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't really hold on to things for the sentiment. I just know they'll be useful again. I mean, the only time they come in handy is AFTER my mum finds them and throws them out.

Raiding my room = great way to piss me off.
:angry:

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Not in the slightest, at any given time I can move with just a backpack of stuff. Nostalgia always fell short on me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Never! Half because I don't like having boxes of crap around and half because I just hate cards. One thing I have kept for sentimental value is my grandfather's violin. He bought it for $5, restored it and started learning to play when he was nearly 60. It's not a good instrument, but pretty enough to hang on a wall.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't hoard things because they have sentimental value... but I do keep things I don't need on the off chance I may need them. Or clutter my desk with rubber ducks and coupons for stores I've never visited.

167 Posts
I did, but somehow they got misplaced when we move to a new dwelling. I still do now sometimes, just things that have emotional values like cards, they bring back memories. But not other junk. Over the years I've learned to minimize my belongings - makes me feel free, gives me less worries. One thing though I hoard books, my shelves are bulging with my growing collection of books it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't really hold on to things for the sentiment. I just know they'll be useful again. I mean, the only time they come in handy is AFTER my mum finds them and throws them out.

Raiding my room = great way to piss me off.
:angry:
*sods law

I don't hoard things because they have sentimental value... but I do keep things I don't need on the off chance I may need them. Or clutter my desk with rubber ducks and coupons for stores I've never visited.
I am a person who likes my privacy. I dislike people raiding through my room. If she wants me to clean my room and insists on helping me, it drives me to try do a good job so she won't come in again. HAHAHA.

I mean, I do kind of "hoard" things in the sense of art. I still have some of the art pieces I have done.
I will still keep my art journal from last year/ present day etc... but it is more so for inspiration I think. Looking back on what my psych was back then, because the theme of the picture reflects what I was thinking / emotion I was evoking / inspired by. Plus it had information on some philosophers and personality types etc. So I find it interesting to read.

In saying that... I did rip out the pages I thought were useless and shit... :mellow:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I don't I might keep something for awhile, but I throw it away as soon as it impedes anything. Kind of like a computer cache, it fills then I wipe it clean. If I ever become a hoarder like those on tv I want to be shot.

Reactions: ZeRo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Opposite, I routinely purge my belongings of all the traitorious items to the regime. I do have a plastic bag with old Orthodox Byzantine stuff given to me from my grandest of mothers, including the sacred orthodox bible from which all knowledge of my great soviet revolutionary great grandfather read from, he was as mathematically minded as me. He worked long and hard on numbers, so do I. Its very old.

I do keep good cards, if the imagery was of deep instrinsict and insightfulness. I'm looking at a letter written to me with a great image on it as well. I mean to do anything else wouldn't be smart anyways.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If she wants me to clean my room and insists on helping me, it drives me to try do a good job so she won't come in again. HAHAHA.

I mean, I do kind of "hoard" things in the sense of art. I still have some of the art pieces I have done.
I will still keep my art journal from last year/ present day etc... but it is more so for inspiration I think. Looking back on what my psych was back then, because the theme of the picture reflects what I was thinking / emotion I was evoking / inspired by. Plus it had information on some philosophers and personality types etc. So I find it interesting to read.

In saying that...I did rip out the pages I thought were useless and shit... :mellow:
THIS.

I don't have art journals, but I do have a few diaries tucked away that are great to read when I'm supposed to be tidying up.

Sadly, I haven't managed to keep a diary going for a long time. The only time I use a diary is when I'm doing a lot of introspecting or I have a build-up of stressful emotions. It's theraputic. When I came to PerC, I kept a diary about how to deal with the stupid parts of my personality that were becoming obvious. I only wrote in it for a week or two, but it made me change my sleeping hours (9pm - 5am now), become more productive (for a while) and arrange a day of 'just hanging out at the park' with one of my friends (which I never would have bothered with normally - it turned out to be great, too).

·
Registered
560 Posts
There are only three things that I hold on to: My father's watch, my mum's bullet (she got shot) and a blueprint-handkerchief.

·
Registered
377 Posts
No. I don't keep cards or letters.
If I don't need it anymore or it has no value to me, I give it to someone else or throw it away.
I have one small box in my closet that I keep pictures, important papers, things of value in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had this conversation at a party recently

Friend (NF) - "I keep all the cute cards from my Birthday's and Christmas', including your ones..."
Me - "I don't keep yours, but if the card has a cool front, I will cut out and chuck the part with the message and stick the picture in my art book or on my wall for decoration..."

She thought I was being a bit of a bitch, but I was only telling the truth.
I don't find I really hold onto things like that...
If I have clothes that I have grown out of, the most plausible reason
as to why they are still in my wardrobe is because I haven't gotten
round to clearing it out and donating it to Lifeline.

So, I am curious.
Do NTs keep sentimentally "valuable" things like cards or clothes ???
If not cards etc. then what?
Sometimes cards if I am really close to that person, but absolutely nothing else. I hate clutter, so I try to avoid keeping things that I don't need. If I don't use it or think about it in 2 years, I'll most likely get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts