Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the answer is yes.

Why do you think ISTPs are prone to overthink stuff?

How to find balance between NOT THINKING and just doing and "healhty" thinking?

cheers

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If the answer is yes.

Why do you think ISTPs are prone to overthink stuff?

How to find balance between NOT THINKING and just doing and "healhty" thinking?

cheers
Yes. If I can't actually do what I'm thinking about I think about it more. The only way to make it stop is to do something.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Focusing on your extraverted sensing, and the Ti balance itself out. Ti is useless by itself.
Ti-Se is hard to describe. Ti isn't healthy unless it is paired with Se or Ne.
Something which I try to do to balance out my Ti and Se is try to become "one" with my surroundings.

Example; A basketball player has the ball and two defensive players run at him. Does he stop and try to "think" his way out of the situation? Nope, he gathers the information with his Se and adapts to the situation. He does it in an instant.

This I think is what Ti-Se is all about. It's like a symbiotic relationship with your environment, or a tool, or a car engine...

ISTPs relate to the world by way of Ti, a form of logic that's tied to their direct perceptual experience. It works in the background of awareness, guiding their actions, facilitated by visual and tactile cues in an unfolding situation.

Because Ti works like this, as a means of negotiating immediate experience, ISTPs have to be active in order to use it. They need hands-on involvement so they can feel a situation's impact and gauge the effects of their behaviors on it.

To sum it up, don't think about thinking. Focus on your Se.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Focusing on your extraverted sensing, and the Ti balance itself out. Ti is useless by itself.
Ti-Se is hard to describe. Ti isn't healthy unless it is paired with Se or Ne.
Something which I try to do to balance out my Ti and Se is try to become "one" with my surroundings.

Example; A basketball player has the ball and two defensive players run at him. Does he stop and try to "think" his way out of the situation? Nope, he gathers the information with his Se and adapts to the situation. He does it in an instant.

This I think is what Ti-Se is all about. It's like a symbiotic relationship with your environment, or a tool, or a car engine...

ISTPs relate to the world by way of Ti, a form of logic that's tied to their direct perceptual experience. It works in the background of awareness, guiding their actions, facilitated by visual and tactile cues in an unfolding situation.

Because Ti works like this, as a means of negotiating immediate experience, ISTPs have to be active in order to use it. They need hands-on involvement so they can feel a situation's impact and gauge the effects of their behaviors on it.

To sum it up, don't think about thinking. Focus on your Se.
I'm actually not getting your point.

How do you focus on Se exactly? Say that you are at a house party and everyone is socializing. How does Se cope with this? And how does Ti do it?

Good post and thanks for answering

·
Registered
336 Posts

How do you focus on Se exactly? Say that you are at a house party and everyone is socializing. How does Se cope with this? And how does Ti do it?

No problem.
As for Se, pay attention to sight, smell, sound, taste and touch. Focus on the environment around you.
If you're in a party, pay attention to the music, taste of food, other people's appearance..This is how Se works, it takes in information from the five senses.
Ti is kind of like your "processor" for the information you get from your Se.
So, for instance, I'm in a party. I'm completely present and paying attention to the details of my surroundings. I take a glance at a guy near me and I note he's perspiring a lot, staring at the floor, his mouth is gaping open and appears physically weak . I get this info from my Se.
My Ti takes the info from Se and seeks to make a judgement based off all the information. "He's perspiring a lot, staring kind of cross eyed, and appears physically weak. He's probably sick. Better be prepared for him throwing up."

That's just a very general example of Ti-Se.
Keep in mind that once you get good at using Se, Ti will kind of work in the background where you have to necessarily be consciously thinking. It's kind of like whenever a basketball player is only paying attention to whats around him and makes smart plays without having to think in a conscious way.

So, hopefully this kind of helps? This is just my take on it tho.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
I do a lot....probably for different reasons and in different ways.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Lol, why?

LMAO because of our Ti lead. Its a blessing and curse.

I think you may be in a loop or depression I know you don't want to hear that but your clearly in 'our' philosophizing the meaning or anti meaning of anything faze.

I have a very hard time forcing myself to turn my mind off. An extremely hard time. I think its why I have such a hard time falling asleep. I never remember dreams and sleep hard and sound once I crash. But I almost force myself to get extremely tired before I crash. Why because I over think, whether its over thinking things that could be consequence or analyzing side effects, or just thinking and processing randomness.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts

Its the combination of reacting with the thinking. Like he said if you simply just think your just going to be stuck.

Like how you say at a house party and how to cope. You don't have to think about how to cope with this. We can have a natural ability to look from the outside in but we also have an ability to engage and involve ourselves as well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem.
As for Se, pay attention to sight, smell, sound, taste and touch. Focus on the environment around you.
If you're in a party, pay attention to the music, taste of food, other people's appearance..This is how Se works, it takes in information from the five senses.
Ti is kind of like your "processor" for the information you get from your Se.
So, for instance, I'm in a party. I'm completely present and paying attention to the details of my surroundings. I take a glance at a guy near me and I note he's perspiring a lot, staring at the floor, his mouth is gaping open and appears physically weak . I get this info from my Se.
My Ti takes the info from Se and seeks to make a judgement based off all the information. "He's perspiring a lot, staring kind of cross eyed, and appears physically weak. He's probably sick. Better be prepared for him throwing up."

That's just a very general example of Ti-Se.
Keep in mind that once you get good at using Se, Ti will kind of work in the background where you have to necessarily be consciously thinking. It's kind of like whenever a basketball player is only paying attention to whats around him and makes smart plays without having to think in a conscious way.

So, hopefully this kind of helps? This is just my take on it tho.
Hi. The example you just put about the party is what I consider over thinking. Like the guy is about to puke, no big deal, I move further. And continue looking at the environment instead of blending myself into it which is what I call over thinking because you're analyzing so much the environment and making statements that you are mostly still at the party instead of taking action and socializing or flirting...

Can you see my point?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi. The example you just put about the party is what I consider over thinking. Like the guy is about to puke, no big deal, I move further. And continue looking at the environment instead of blending myself into it which is what I call over thinking because you're analyzing so much the environment and making statements that you are mostly still at the party instead of taking action and socializing or flirting...

Can you see my point?
I see what you mean. At that point, you just gotta do stuff. Simple as that. You've got to accept imperfect information and engage yourself with your surroundings. I recommend solitary sports because they train you to stay present and give you a means to engage in action.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not really no.

After a day with a lot impressions thoughts will be circling my mind tho.

Nothing sleep never cured.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think you already have some really good answers here. I'll add in my little trick/mindset though:
Don't plan ahead, Don't daydream and get caught in a notion of what your day should be like and how things are going to play out, just BE THERE... and you don't do that by trying to "be there" as that will end up making you overthink "being there" and plan how you're going to "be there" next time as well... instead, FORGET about planning, FORGET what the little details of your life should be like, it's ok to have some big long-term goals, but you don't need to know about the details... it's way funnier without the details, trust me, it turns out better than if you're trying to control everything.

We're different people so it may not work the same for you, but you loose nothing for trying.

The sumitup line would be: You can't know exactly how things will play out and you're better off not knowing, so let spontaneity do its magic.

Note: If you get it right in a social/work/play setting you might feel very tempted to go back to stake zero so you can analyse why it worked so well, resist it! If it's really strong tell yourself you can do that later... just don't forget to snap out of it after you've thought enough. But there's not much to think about here really, it's just using Se... Ti and Ni don't work well together because they're both introverted, and so, prone to stray away from reality: Ti is a sum of logical laws you make up thoughout your life and Ni is your impressionistic perspective on all of your life, so together they make up logical laws that are based on your idea of the overarching pattern of your life, and that's just gonna be highly subjective and unrealistic but it'll make total sense to you, it can lead to cynicism and depression... Se has a realistic, dead accurate and simple view on the world that is skeptical and based on your direct experience with the physical world, so it provides balance and will keep you away from going mad. That said, the simpler you think, the more accurate you'll be.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
it's kind of our thing.

Ti doms, after all.

We devour information. We take an idea or concept and break it down and put it back together in all fathomable ways.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Lol, why?

LMAO because of our Ti lead. Its a blessing and curse.

I think you may be in a loop or depression I know you don't want to hear that but your clearly in 'our' philosophizing the meaning or anti meaning of anything faze.

I have a very hard time forcing myself to turn my mind off. An extremely hard time. I think its why I have such a hard time falling asleep. I never remember dreams and sleep hard and sound once I crash. But I almost force myself to get extremely tired before I crash. Why because I over think, whether its over thinking things that could be consequence or analyzing side effects, or just thinking and processing randomness.
Lmao, sounds familiar

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you already have some really good answers here. I'll add in my little trick/mindset though:
Don't plan ahead, Don't daydream and get caught in a notion of what your day should be like and how things are going to play out, just BE THERE... and you don't do that by trying to "be there" as that will end up making you overthink "being there" and plan how you're going to "be there" next time as well... instead, FORGET about planning, FORGET what the little details of your life should be like, it's ok to have some big long-term goals, but you don't need to know about the details... it's way funnier without the details, trust me, it turns out better than if you're trying to control everything.

We're different people so it may not work the same for you, but you loose nothing for trying.

The sumitup line would be: You can't know exactly how things will play out and you're better off not knowing, so let spontaneity do its magic.

Note: If you get it right in a social/work/play setting you might feel very tempted to go back to stake zero so you can analyse why it worked so well, resist it! If it's really strong tell yourself you can do that later... just don't forget to snap out of it after you've thought enough. But there's not much to think about here really, it's just using Se... Ti and Ni don't work well together because they're both introverted, and so, prone to stray away from reality: Ti is a sum of logical laws you make up thoughout your life and Ni is your impressionistic perspective on all of your life, so together they make up logical laws that are based on your idea of the overarching pattern of your life, and that's just gonna be highly subjective and unrealistic but it'll make total sense to you, it can lead to cynicism and depression... Se has a realistic, dead accurate and simple view on the world that is skeptical and based on your direct experience with the physical world, so it provides balance and will keep you away from going mad. That said, the simpler you think, the more accurate you'll be.
Yeah...basically live the moment and so on...but its IMPOSSIBLE.

Take this scenario:

-You are at a friends place, with 2 other guys. Both are talking, and you have nothing to say (or maybe you are overthinking and thats why you think you have nothing to say...) and while you are not saying a word and listening them both talk, you will make statements in your mind to process the information you are listening even if you dont want to! So its like, overthinking and/or analyzing is something that is unavoidable!

How would a healthy/non-overthinker act in this case? Would he be talking 24/7 without thinking at all and barely let others speak?
@boogiestomp

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah...basically live the moment and so on...but its IMPOSSIBLE.

Take this scenario:

-You are at a friends place, with 2 other guys. Both are talking, and you have nothing to say (or maybe you are overthinking and thats why you think you have nothing to say...) and while you are not saying a word and listening them both talk, you will make statements in your mind to process the information you are listening even if you dont want to! So its like, overthinking and/or analyzing is something that is unavoidable!

How would a healthy/non-overthinker act in this case? Would he be talking 24/7 without thinking at all and barely let others speak?
@boogiestomp
No no no, you're taking it to an extreme, didn't i tell you to FORGET about how things should be? dang it. hahaha. it's not talking all of the time and it's not having nothing in your brain, it's about thinking about the situation, the conversation and whatever relates to it, being there, without day dreaming and getting unrealistic. It's not bad to think a lot, only if you completely loose the point or get unrealistic. You may talk more but only if it's something you feel like talking about or have something to add (that's how ISTPs are anyway). We are Ti doms, so we think most of the time, the problem is when Se is ignored.

How to use Extroverted Sensing from an ISTP's point of view. - Blogs - Personality Cafe

You can also see it as not having set ideas and being ok with not knowing everything about life and open to new experiences (although that probably has something to do with enneagram, since i only understood using Se when i understood getting out of my fake reality as a type 5).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No no no, you're taking it to an extreme, didn't i tell you to FORGET about how things should be? dang it. hahaha. it's not talking all of the time and it's not having nothing in your brain, it's about thinking about the situation, the conversation and whatever relates to it, being there, without day dreaming and getting unrealistic. It's not bad to think a lot, only if you completely loose the point or get unrealistic. You may talk more but only if it's something you feel like talking about or have something to add (that's how ISTPs are anyway). We are Ti doms, so we think most of the time, the problem is when Se is ignored.

How to use Extroverted Sensing from an ISTP's point of view. - Blogs - Personality Cafe
Intresting article. I think now i am starting to understand this little by little.

My only question is how do you know that you really feel like talking and not because you think you should be talking?

Also, when Se is ignored. Can you state few examples please? thjanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Intresting article. I think now i am starting to understand this little by little.

My only question is how do you know that you really feel like talking and not because you think you should be talking?

Also, when Se is ignored. Can you state few examples please? thjanks
When you feel like talking you just say it because you wanted to, it's mildly spontaneous, it's natural, it's unselfconscious.

When Se is ignored you go round and round in circles in your head, never getting anywhere. You think of the most crazy theories but they never validate in the end, you think stuff over and over trying to see if it ever makes sense, if there's something you missed, but it's like you never reach an actual conclusion, all you have is that thought trip, the analysis itself and no concrete bottom-line. But you looked it over so many times in your head and from so many angles and has so many possible connections related to it that you keep it, and it always comes back up and you see if you can fit that with whatever is going on around you without seeing what is ACTUALLY going on around you, and of course it doesn't fit, so you get nowhere, you end up with nothing, just a bunch of thoughts that you have no confidence asserting because they end in themselves. That's my experience with it. It's frustrating.

[Edit:] When i said they end in themselves i meant they're useless, it gets contradictory because you keep juggling between logical connections and overall intuitive impression... and one thing denies the other. Overall intuitive impression works with Te because it is factual, externally focused, but with Ti it becomes a mess if there's no outside input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because of our dominant Ti, we tend to contemplate A LOT. I know that when I'm certain of another persons motives and where they're coming from, I'm probably wrong which is hard to admit. I'm saying this cuz no one focuses on practical matters in an introverted logical way more than ISTP's which makes us prone to overthink. Because of our Se, we look at the world around us in the here and now and use Ti to understand it.

Not everyone thinks like us, and the best way to not overthink is just DO whatever you want to. Using our Se in an objective sense is the best thing you could do, but don't always make assumptions with Ti. To not overthink, just don't think.. I'm not saying you should just not trust your thinking abilities because it truly is our greatest strength, but you really have to be more open and face the unknown to grow as an ISTP like facing the feelings of others AND ourselves.

Just remember other people definitely dont overthink as much as Ti doms and by keeping an open mind and using your observational abilities without making quick assumptions, you won't overthink too much and gradually understand where other people are truly coming from. Just take things one day at a time, and look at the bright side of things whenever u can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.