Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether they are our friends, family, peers, idols, or other acquaintances, the people surrounding us have a great influence on us. I’ve noticed that throughout my life I’ve picked up or taken on certain traits (even some very minor and silly habits) of the people I associate with. I’m sure we all do this to some degree, but I’m curious what other INFPs have to say about this topic. So do you sometimes take on characteristics of other people?

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I very easily pick up speech patterns. It's hard for me to not do this. I don't know if other people notice, but I do start talking like them if I'm around them often. Traits are kind of hit-and-miss. I reflect certain traits more than adopt them for myself.

As for activities and such, not really. I might join someone to see what a hobby is all about, but unless I'm interested in it, I won't bother following through.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I will pick up accents so easily. I'll just listen to ONE song of somebody singing with an accent different from my own, and I will start singing/talking with their accent until I hear a different accent. I don't usually notice, unless I'm paying attention, or someone points it out to me. I don't know about picking up habits. Maybe I do. I don't pay much attention to myself. :tongue:

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I will pick up accents so easily. I'll just listen to ONE song of somebody singing with an accent different from my own, and I will start singing/talking with their accent until I hear a different accent. I don't usually notice, unless I'm paying attention, or someone points it out to me. I don't know about picking up habits. Maybe I do. I don't pay much attention to myself. :tongue:
Me too! If I'm around someone with a strong accent I find myself wanting to talk the way they do. I love accents :laughing:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do to a great degree. I don't really take up activities and interests of other people, but I'll often pick upthe speech patterns of people that I'm around, and if I form any lasting relationship with someone it isn't uncommon for me to take on some of their mannerisms.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Ah yes, the accents. Another one of my weird quirks. I love to do Scottish ones, or East London or even German accents in addition to some of those spoken in my own country.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I don't really pick up and 'copy' them unconciously.
I know how to emulate someone in a sense of I can see how they are and sort of make myself
relate more to them,so it's not as awkward and so they maybe like me more....
does that make sense?

I don't do it anymore because i'd rather be myself but I used to do it all the time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mmm ,ya :mellow:. I usually copy some peoples tones when they say I line I find to be enjoyable. So yes definitely, I copy those whom I find admirable or funny in some way. And bout the accents. HAHAHA I had much fun with that! It's always easy to mock people with their own voices, though I stopped a while back

Reactions: jasonm

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Yes, for sure.

One way I can tell is I've been able to develop my E, S, & T traits thanks to being around my family, who are all of the above. J I still have trouble with. :tongue:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, Definitely. Most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it. -.- I regret it later, because then they wonder why I'm not being myself, when I really am.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Great thread, and yes, I do. I study people, its what I do. So when I learn something that I like, I hold onto it and utilize it the best I can. I've noticed that about myself for years, I see it as taking all the good out of someone and keeping it, chucking the rest. Haha :(.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do this! Ha.

Every now and then I'll make a face and think "Oh lord, that face was exactly a face my older sister would make."

I use the number 18 to describe everything. Such as, "I have heard that song 18 times today" or "I could eat 18 hamburgers, I'm so hungry". This is all because one of my friends used to do the same thing.

Accents usually only happen when I go visit my friends in Kentucky... I will be stuck with a country accent for a good week or so after I get back.

Reactions: jasonm

·
Registered
127 Posts
I do that alot... Its always been my second nature to mimic a persons mannerisms while Im with them. Its never a concious effort either, I just do it. One way I know I do this is when Im with one of my best friends, I adapt his unique speech pattern only after a few moments of talking to him.

Its generally harmless I guess. It shows that I like the person becuase Ive never had the same thing happen with people I dont feel comfortable with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts