Personality Cafe banner

Do you play music?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you play a musical instrument, and if you do, do you play many or just one?

Also why do you like playing a musical instrument or why not?

Thanks for partaking! ^-^

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can play a few simple songs on piano. That's about the only instrument I play. I learned how to play as a kid and I took one year of piano lessons.
My interest to learn this instrument is pure curiosity I guess, one day my parents brought up the idea of buying a piano for me, and I was like sure why not. In high school many people in the band knows how to play more than one instrument so I thought that is really cool to have a hobby that you are good at.
From time to time, I play piano to ease me into a more peaceful state of mind. Also surprisingly some songs sound better when played by piano so I want to be part of that expression.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've taken piano lessons for 9 years, and I'm fairly good at acoustic guitar. I would like to learn how to play saxophone. I love playing both instruments, especially when I feel that I master a technique or a difficult part of a piece. I guess I like to practice on pieces, but I prefer to just sit down and improvise; I'm not too disciplined :p Right now I'm working on the first movement of Piano Sonata No. 8 by Beethoven. A difficult but beautiful piece, filled with emotion. This autumn, I'm going to a folk high school to learn how to play church organ.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Guitar and Bass. Not that they are two radically different instruments but, I play both! I've wanted to pick up a mandolin or a banjo. Stringed instruments for life!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have played piano ever since I was a little kid. I absolutely love playing, it's a way for me to express myself and deal with my emotions. My parents made me take piano lessons when I was a kid but I never really enjoyed them. Notes are boring, I love playing by ear. I also play a little bit of guitar and harmonica.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I just sing. Considering bass guitar but, at the same time, I'm pretty content with putting more energy into my voice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I play viola, guitar, clarinet, and my voice is an instrument. I guess by default I can also play violin and saxophone. I took piano lesson as a kid, but could never master two hands doing different things at the same time.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I play piano (the only one I could comfortably say I've mastered). But I dabble too. Harmonica, ukulele, guitar (I am my own fireside band lol).

Not INFP though so I didn't vote.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Guitar and Bass. Not that they are two radically different instruments but, I play both! I've wanted to pick up a mandolin or a banjo. Stringed instruments for life!
ditto
And I really want to continue learning double bass, but unfortunately I don't have access to an instrument anymore. I've been interested in picking up something in the violin family aside from electric bass & guitar.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've started playing drums, got a kit for my birthday 2 months ago. I've never played an instrument before, and I am loving it! Never thought I'd be able to do it :)

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts
I'd like to learn how to play an instrument of some sort, but I don't know which or how. Maybe a harp? IDK.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I play piano/keyboard and clarinet. Surprisingly I'm most skilled at the clarinet. (playing for about 4 years now)
I can only play basic sort of songs and melodies with piano. (I have some trouble with playing with two hands, I can only really have left doing a simple chord and right playing a melody). I'm good at improv on clarinet as many people have told me. :3

I thought I was useless with string instruments until after many months of trying to play chords on a guitar I played some chords.

I have played a note on my friends cello before and it made me so happy, I just always wanted to try a cello because they seem cool and the range is cool. :) I played a Bari sax once when I forgot my clarinet at home and somehow was making it squeak. ;_; (I was so use to playing Clari that I didn't relax my mouth enough and such)

Reactions: ReturnOfSaturn

·
Registered
123 Posts
As a kid I took about 4 years of piano lessons. I can still play a couple of different chords on piano, but I was never really that good. I started learning guitar when I was 15. It has been my main artistic voice ever since. I learned on an acoustic. But once I bought my first electric guitar and amplifier, I rarely touched the acoustic. An open E chord on Strat or Les Paul through a tube amp (preferably vintage fender tube amps) is the most beautiful sound in the world.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I play piano/keyboard and clarinet. Surprisingly I'm most skilled at the clarinet. (playing for about 4 years now)
I can only play basic sort of songs and melodies with piano. (I have some trouble with playing with two hands, I can only really have left doing a simple chord and right playing a melody). I'm good at improv on clarinet as many people have told me. :3

I thought I was useless with string instruments until after many months of trying to play chords on a guitar I played some chords.

I have played a note on my friends cello before and it made me so happy, I just always wanted to try a cello because they seem cool and the range is cool. :) I played a Bari sax once when I forgot my clarinet at home and somehow was making it squeak. ;_; (I was so use to playing Clari that I didn't relax my mouth enough and such)

Ha, ha I'm the same!!!! My hands are not coordinated enough to play the piano. I'm also a clarinet player.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Sung a lot in my youth, 1st-8th grade. Voice dropping and a meh experience in the 8th grade (8th grade choir teacher didn't exactly take the class seriously) ended that period in my life. Peak was two Star Spangled Banner gigs for middle school talent shows. Recently got my inner-karaoke on with Rockband, but haven't played that in a while.

I'm too clumsy with motor skills to play guitar (took lessons at one point). Maybe something to explore later in life.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I can sing well enough but primarily play the trombone and a bit of keyboard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sung a lot in my youth, 1st-8th grade. Voice dropping and a meh experience in the 8th grade (8th grade choir teacher didn't exactly take the class seriously) ended that period in my life. Peak was two Star Spangled Banner gigs for middle school talent shows. Recently got my inner-karaoke on with Rockband, but haven't played that in a while.

I'm too clumsy with motor skills to play guitar (took lessons at one point). Maybe something to explore later in life.
Isn't a good voice the gift that keeps on giving? :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts