Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Recently I am very into learning more about spirituality and meditiation.
I have already tried meditating some times in my life, but I never really managed it doing regularly.

I have been feeling stressed out over the past weeks/months and as I am also a little without direction and orientation concerning my close and further future, I'd like to have something in my life where I can regularly calm down and feel at ease. As a person who has her struggles with daily practical and mundane tasks, I have the feeling that I need something "bigger" to hold on to...

So I would be interested in your experiences - do you meditate regularly? And if yes, what types of Meditation do you prefer? Is there a difference if you meditate as an INFP or an ESTJ for example?

And concerning spirituality: Are there any regular rituals you practise? Anything you really like doing on a regular Basis? Is there any form of "bigger force" which gives you emotional stability?

I'm very interested in your experiences! :)

(Sorry for my english, it's not my native language)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have recently been working on developing a consistent meditative practice. My spirituality and religious beliefs were literally the defining aspect of my life until I was about 23 (I'm 26 now)...a little over a year and a half ago, I came to the realization that I no longer believed in God or felt any sort of attachment to Him and have basically been living the last year as a sort of agnostic/atheist/mostly ignoring the topic of spirituality altogether. I have honestly found it to be one of the most anxiety-inducing years of my life and have found it really difficult to maintain my typical hopeful and positive outlook. So I'm now in the process of rebuilding my spirituality and beliefs but with a totally new perspective because I've come to the conclusion that I honestly don't want to live without belief in something greater than us, regardless of if I'm right or wrong. Now, of course, that doesn't mean I'm faking it or just going through motions that I'm not into...instead, I'm trying to allow myself to trust in and marvel at the mystery of "it all" as a way of connecting to "God." I'm really only at the very beginning stages of this process...but I thought I would share my experience to demonstrate how essential having some sort of belief system is for me, and I think that's something a lot of INFP's would relate to. I have read that it's not good for INFP's to abandon their belief systems.

Anyway, for meditation--I try to meditate for at least 20 minutes in the morning and am hoping to also begin meditating in the afternoon. I like to use the guided meditations from the Mindful podcast--it's totally free and there are a lot to choose from. I gravitate towards mindfulness meditations and loving-kindness meditations. The podcast has a few that are specifically geared to help you come out of really negative feelings or even panic, which I think is super cool. I also listen to a meditation by a group called The Liturgists called "Vapor" regularly--it's a guided meditation that also allows me to be in touch with my Christian roots.

Hopefully that helps!

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I'm an Atheist, but I try meditation every once in a while. When I was in outpatient group therapy it was highly encouraged.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
A God could maybe exist, but it won't certainly the christian, muslim or jewish one. It won't know the difference between good and bad maybe or be apathic. He won't be almighty, he could have created energy, and the subsequent big bang. I like buddhism, mythology and maybe hinduism. They really can influence (making me peaceful and calm. I hate monotheism. It creates war, violence, social conservatism, kept people dumb and made them submissive for governments.

Reactions: silvs

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I'm a Christian and I read the Bible, it really helps to get my mind off of superficial things and back towards what I feel is more important in life...giving back, honoring parents, loving, forgiving...it literally feels like I'm drinking a tall glass of fresh water because Jesus is who I ultimately strive to be like and enjoy imitating in real life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: silvs

·
Registered
189 Posts
Definitely on the same page, as @Lakigigar to a certain extent, but my beliefs lean more towards a mix of shinto, buddhism, and heavily influenced by an article titled "How I met God and I'm still an atheist" which is really interesting and extremely different view of why we are here.
I don't know about many other INFP's but me personally my beliefs are like pages in a 3 ring binder, flexible and can be edited, added to, or removed from at any time.... where as I've met people that view their beliefs like life support machines in a hospital if you mess with the settings they will die, those kinds of people are very difficult to have an actual conversation with.

The only thing I really practice though is meditation, usually with music (have a dedicated playlist for it) while I'm mowing the lawn or working on mindless things, its very very relaxing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with some writer I read somewhere who said INFPs without a measure of religion or spiritual awareness will experience particular emptiness.

Find something that fits you, my advice. In my forties I began a meditation practice, I've been enriched greatly by it.

Cool thing too is there's a lot of free instruction on YouTube, really legit teachers there.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Yes, I do prayer and meditation everyday. I do spontaneous praying throughout the day, but I also set aside time every night for more deliberate prayer and meditation. I also read scripture (meaning the holy bible).

The most effective way to approach prayer, IMO, is to always include gratitude and express humility and confidence in God's wisdom, power and love. This is for YOU, so that you operate from a place of confidence aka faith that your needs and even desires will be fulfilled. When asking for something, be specific and let go a sense of struggle for it. Even if you pray a LOT for the same thing, increasingly try to let go any sense of desperation or hopelessness, because this is not reliance on God - you're still burdening yourself with it. The idea is to appreciate what has been and what is so you can feel assured of goodness to come, and acknowledge that it's not something you're doing alone. You're in harmony with God's will (or the Universe or whatever concept you're comfortable with right now).

Prayers in which you pray for others to be blessed are important for reprogramming your mentality. It reduces any scarcity mindset. Not only are you building a generous spirit, but a sense of interconnectedness with others.

As for meditation, there are many forms. Sometimes I just focus on breathing and allowing emotions to wash over, perhaps being aware of any sensations in my body. I don't consider this spiritual so much as a good emotional regulation technique. A fair amount of this is related to CBT.

I also do meditation with a focus on a quality or feeling, say one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control). It is not analyzing, but thinking of a time you experienced this feeling and then meditating on the emotional experience of it, so that it sort of washes over you. This is basically developing new cognitive habits by ingraining an experience. If you regularly bring up, say, the emotional experience of patience in your meditation, then you will find it easier to respond with patience in life.

The same thing can be done after reading a scripture. The key is to not intellectually analyze, but to experience the essence of it emotionally. Sometimes people repeat something over and ove as a way to give rise to the emotional response, but that's not always necessary. I DONT recommend repeating an empty word or phrase over and over. Make sure everything is meaningful and is in line with a better mindset you want to develop.

A really great tip Ive gotten is to place one hand on your own chest and one on your stomach. It's very soothing, and it can help open you up emotionally so you're more receptive to building a new emotional foundation for yourself.

You can can also ask a question and then do a basic breathing meditation and see if any realization arises. IMO, this isn't some insight from God, but more about peeling away your own layers, such self-deceptions that alienate you from God's love and wisdom.

There are also meditations where you can visualize things... It can be something you want or perhaps a symbolic image to help you be ready for something (i.e. Changing seasons is a cliche example.... nature as metaphor is a good way to understand spiritual truths though).

Anyway, hope some of that helps. Doing this regularly is enormously helpful to me. When I slack on it, all my old negative thought patterns tend to pop back up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, I meditate for 20 minutes every morning in the classroom before the students arrive.
I've been doing it for over three years now and it' very beneficial.
Keeps me stable and focused.
I meditate in total silence, no music.
I do breathing exercices and follow the light.
Started with a Buddhist meditation cd, then quickly progressed to kundalini yoga meditation.
It's great, I highly recommend you start your practice, you won't regret it! :tranquillity:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts