Personality Cafe banner

Which do personality type system you prefer?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Birdie Borracho
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty self-explanatory.

Parrot here, getting the polls section up and running again. It will allow us to learn more about our members and continue to grow as a community.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I find it harder to relate to enneagram types than I do the MBTI. I'm such a mix of things that it eventually becomes tiresome to research, so I just give up. I wish there were more in-depth information on different tri-types.

I also feel like I've learned more from the MBTI about myself, as well as others.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well in general I'm more interested what drives people and why than how they process information. Anyway aren't MBTI and enneagram in correlation? Why are they correlating?

Went equal.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I prefer socionics, but I think Mbti and socionics describe the same types so I don't mind using the Mbti labels. Enneagram is decent, but the system is pretty complete so theres not much to study in my opinion.
Fair, I meant MBTI in the vernacular sense.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Hmmm find both to be quite fascinating.
I think mbti deals more with what we know about ourselves and how we behave. I prefer directly studying Jung's ideas.
But enneagram is moreso the things we often hide like our inner fears...
They're both valuable in different ways because of that and I like how they balance eachother.
Enneagram makes me see stuff about myself that I previously felt but hadn't identified as being a part of myself.

I can't remember what else I was going to say... I'll be back again:kitteh:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I haven't bothered enough with enneagram, to be honest. MBTI is the one I definitely prefer

·
Birdie Borracho
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i prefer MBTI but i find most people tend to correlate MBTI types to enneagram types in an almost exclusive manner
I used to do that. I've found there is correlation, like ENTP 7 is most common for ENTP. But, all combos do exist, just some more likely than others

·
Registered
697 Posts
Enneagram is a pain to deal with because of the ever growing variables. You start with a core type, then you've got wings, instinctual variants, the triads, countertypes, the positive outlook vs competency vs reactive thing, tritypes, etc. There's actually a point where it can be justified to be a 5 and be socially extroverted... MBTI is simple to deal with, and doesn't come with active witch hunts concerning mistypes.

I guess both can be as equally useful, but the way the Enneagram is designed makes me want to bash my head in a wall. MBTI by default.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I voted both. I find MBTI much easier to understand, thanks to the breakdown of functions and whatnot. But enneagram is quite a bit more interesting, as it deals with base fears and defense mechanisms. And I quite enjoy seeing how one affects the other. To me anyway, it seems like enneagram gives each person's MBTI type a certain 'flavor', if that makes any sense.

As a side note, I also think the varient stackings (sp/sx/so) are fun to throw in the mix too. There's a lot more that goes into a person than just one type or another.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I suppose MBTI if I have to pick. One's better because I know about the other, though. They each contribute to a bigger picture.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
I like both. Enneagram is easier to understand, it deals with motivations and insecurities, which intuitively make sense to me, whereas I had to learn the cognitive functions one by one and how they present in real time.

Knowing how people think and value info is fascinating; understanding and zeroing in on their internal motivations is more obvious but amusing. Mind traps make me laugh.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts