Personality Cafe banner

Which do personality type system you prefer?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd like to see more in English about Socionics. I blur the lines between MBTI, Keirsey and Socionics, because to me it's all based on the same system of Jungian cognitive functions, even if Keirsey decided to forego the functions themselves. I've delved into Enneagram in the last year, but I'd rank it slightly below MBTI/Socionics in my list.

Big-5 and some of the others are hollow systems. You get a result and there is nothing to learn from it, unless you're oblivious to your own motivations.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Enneagram when you count trifix because it is more specific and counts motivators/deviations between individuals.

For example I am an INFP, but I am vastly different in almost every way (at least outwardly) from my INFP friends who are say 6w5 or 4w3. We may all use the same cognitive functions but I like to be able to individualize from there because there is a significant difference between us.

Although I suppose I do like MBTI for the brain hacking aspect of it. Since I have weaker Te naturally, it is something I practice on a regular basis; making lists, charts, pros and cons lists, following through with schedules--just looking at life with a more logical perspective and being more decisive. Because of this I have been able to achieve more than I would have had I not known I had weak Te.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I love Love LOVE socionics! It's the system that provided me with a deeper understanding of Jungian Types and led me to figure out my true MBTI type. I understand that MBTI and socionics are sister systems though, so I voted for MBTI.

I have mixed feelings about the enneagram. I like reading about the system and understanding how the types are all connected and all that, but I have yet to successfully type myself with the enneagram (despite my many, many attempts to do so).

I think the reason I like MBTI more than enneagram is that the MBTI types are based on cognitive functions that provide a simple basis for the whole system. The enneagram types have no such functions. In fact, the enneagram types themselves become the functions within the system, which makes it a lot harder to stick with one type.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Both Ennea and MBTI <3
I...don't know why, just... I like it? :3
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Socionics, and I know they are basically just...jungian functions, but it's harder to understand than MBTI aaaa ;w;
I'm a bit mehhh about Big 5, probably because I don't like the desc for my type :p I mean, the description is accurate, but... ;w;

·
Registered
55 Posts
MBTI for sure, Enneagrams are so limiting and confusing (even with adequate research)
I type ENTJ on literally all three personality types RHES/Jung and the Myers and with the enneagram it moves from an 8 to a3 so swiftly and then a 7 and I nearly had an existential crisis when I purposely changed an answer on a fairly inaccurate quiz and instead of my usual 7wing 6 it gave me 6wing 7.

I'm rambling and maybe so many spelling errors but direct point the most accurate in my experience is the MBTI

·
Registered
237 Posts
I simply don't understand enneagram very much, and I can't really get to know what is my type, maybe it's because there are much more information of the mbti over there.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,652 Posts
I like both. Considering the fact that no single personality test can describe the entirety of a person's personality, they each play their roles in describing how a person is/thinks/acts/sees the world/etc. As an ENTJ 8 I can see how I would differ from an ENTJ 1 or an ESTP 8... Without including both types, any differences would not be noticeable from simply specifying only one of the types.

·
Registered
36 Posts
MBTI, but I still have a lot to learn about Enneagram. Based on my current knowledge anyway I can see the cognitive functions at work more easily than I can try to figure out a possible Enneagram motivation.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
This poll would be biased because most of us know MBTI and do not know The Enneagram. I knew about The Enneagram when I joined this group.

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
I started with the 'gram but I've come to like MBTI a lot more. It covers more bases and feels a lot more objective. The enneagram is mostly mights and maybes and isn't based on anything concrete, cognitive functions in MBTI have more tangible rules and you can easily see what would cause similarities between people of those types. Though less misinformation seems to be thrown around in enneagram circles than in MBTI, which is probably down to the number of people using them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I prefer the MBTI likely because I was introduced to it first and felt an instant connection with my type. It was the first time I felt understood. I think Enneagrams offers some new layers of insight, though perhaps somewhat contradictory with MBTI. For example, I am an ENTP (not strong on E or P) and identify as a 5w4, the description of which seems too introspective and solitary for an ENTP. But, both types fit for me, especially compared with the options.

So, MBTI as a base, with Enneagram offering further insight. It could easily be the other way round if I'd been introduced to Enneagram first.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I prefer enneagram due to being an outlier in my MBTI. I cannot seem to find too many people like myself. Enneagram helped explain why I am different than other INTJ. As well as help me understand myself, and how it functions through the INTJ operating system. I originally mistyped as 1w9, 5w4, and 8w9 before I figured out I am a sp 4. It was quite difficult to accept, as it is not a popular type to be. But I cannot deny the facts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer MBTI. My ex-boyfriend and I both tested ENFJ but we clashed so much in so many ways and I think the reason for that was because either he tested as the wrong type or perhaps because on the enneagram he's a 3 and I'm a 2 and we have conflicting values. My strongest values are community, intimacy, and relationships while his are efficiency, productivity, and overcoming challenges. One could say on the DISC he was more of a task focus (Dominant) and I had more of a people focus (Influential). So I think the two personality type indicators measure different aspects of a person and they work together to give a full picture of a person.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Both are needed; MBTI i think is to discover more of your outer self/how you know yourself to be (a stepping-stone to being initated into self-awareness), and the Enneagram is for knowing yourself in depth, your Shadow and get to understand "the real self", the motivations, drive and core fears etc. I currently am more involved in the Enneagram, because i love exploring the depths of self. It's fascinating, it has helped me alot already, as without it i wouldnt have really understood so many deeper/subtle layers of who i am internally, why i do what i do. It's true that one's personal Enneagram is "tricker" to figure out, as alot of soul search is required, but that's what it is made for... and therefore, it is also harder to get to type with accurancy for others too, compared to the MBTI. I see the rest of the systems (BIG5, DISC etc) as complementary.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts