Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that personally, I pride myself most on my competence, and a close second is probably my objectivity.

I know most INTP's pride themselves on their intelligence, and are naturally objective, but I don't know if others pride themselves on their objectivity like I do.

So, do you?

Feel free to answer if you're not an INTP as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Nice call! I was actually going to start a thread on this...

I don't pride on my objectivity. Sure, it's really comfortable when everyone around you is suffering from their overpowering emotions and opinions, but I sometimes really wonder if I am okay or if I have a problem when I feel absolutely nothing toward anything. Like right now, my mom and my sister and really passionately angry about how messed the system in our apartment is, but as much as this affects me when I have to do schoolwork, I feel no anger, frustration, nada. I personally think I have a problem. I would love to just sit back, relax, and isolate myself from the rest of the world while it is constantly being entangled in endless commotion, but some people, especially people who are very close and important to me, push me to act, which is a very non-INTP thing to do. The funny thing is, as much as this is uncomfortable for me, I really feel angry at myself for not doing so. (I'm using so many italics here!)

My point is, I wish I could be a little more subjective. This would save me from quite a handful of problems.

Reactions: Tony and Dupree

·
Registered
255 Posts
I never thought of myself as objective per se although it is something I strive for along with a certain degree of healthy detachment. Rationally I think most of us could agree that we are very subjective as humans, that being said it would seem that I am considered relatively objective by opinion (of those close to me who have known me for a long time) even by other NT standards (INTJ and ENTJ for example). However it stills feels as if all my thought processes are sourced by emotion and then rationalized to myself in order to make the final conclusion more palatable, it just when this conclusion is voiced to others it is done so in a precise and logical manner. But the origin of the thought is always, as shown by hindsight, to be emotional in nature even it isn't realized to be so at the time.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't pride myself on being objective because I don't think I am (or can be) objective enough. endeavoring to be as objective and fair as possible is a matter of honor though.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I pride myself in my ability to figure out people's true motives and also in my ability to think for myself. When I was first developing my Ti, I used to pride myself in a lot more, namely: intelligence, wit, and charisma. Now I accept them graciously as gifts.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I more pride myself on my ability to think completely independently with only my store of knowledge and intuition as a guide, even in spite of moral attacks, which is unfortunately what it usually comes down to in the real world. This doesn't always equate to true objectivity though. I have to admit I sometimes start with an idea and work my way backwards with logic, giving my train of thought a bias.

True objectivity is extremely rare, even with INTPs. We're all humans with emotions when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Making objective decisions has always been a strong point for me. I'm a very unbiased thinker.

For example: In sociology class (one of my least favorite, but it makes for some good debates) we were discussing female circumcision. I would say approximately 80% of the class were visibly shaken upon learning about it, and spoke up about how horrible it was. Granted, it is a dangerous and detrimental tradition, but the fact that they were so quick to judge the culture based upon their own biases was very disappointing.

Are we completely free of bias? Absolutely not. But being INTP, we are more independent thinkers than most. Now if only we could find the motivation to put our thoughts into action...

Reactions: nothingnew

·
Registered
988 Posts
I believe I am more terrified by any subjectivity I might unconsciously display more than I pride myself on my objectivity.

So, in short, yes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, I do. I also think it is most unnapreciated. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts