Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Procrastinate: postpone doing what one should be doing.
Procrastination: the act of procrastinating; putting off or delaying or defering an action to a later time

When it comes to doing assignments for University I tend to let it sit for a while constantly reminding myself that I should be on PerC I should be starting my assignments and writing my notes up!

In general I am quite organised. I have a seperate notebook for each module so that my thoughts and notes don't get muddled up. I have spent time writing myself timetable and pinning up reminders. However, despite all this the work is still waiting to be done. I seem to spend more time organising myself than doing the actual work! So I will get off this forum and do some work...eventually...I'm thinking I should get off now...

I do get the work done eventually and it doesn tend to be very in depth and look like I have spent weeks working on it when really I it has only taken me a few days or back in school I have written essays the night before.

So this is one of the reasons I can't work out if I am a perceiver or a judger. I like to plan and make timetables and to do lists but I don't always stick to them...they just make me feel better and think clearer when it comes to doing the work. It's like ok I've procrastinated enough now by making all these lists I can get on with some work.

Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think there is a smilier post like this a couple days ago

but yes i do

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Procrastinate: postpone doing what one should be doing.
Procrastination: the act of procrastinating; putting off or delaying or defering an action to a later time

When it comes to doing assignments for University I tend to let it sit for a while constantly reminding myself that I should be on PerC I should be starting my assignments and writing my notes up!

In general I am quite organised. I have a seperate notebook for each module so that my thoughts and notes don't get muddled up. I have spent time writing myself timetable and pinning up reminders. However, despite all this the work is still waiting to be done. I seem to spend more time organising myself than doing the actual work! So I will get off this forum and do some work...eventually...I'm thinking I should get off now...

I do get the work done eventually and it doesn tend to be very in depth and look like I have spent weeks working on it when really I it has only taken me a few days or back in school I have written essays the night before.

So this is one of the reasons I can't work out if I am a perceiver or a judger. I like to plan and make timetables and to do lists but I don't always stick to them...they just make me feel better and think clearer when it comes to doing the work. It's like ok I've procrastinated enough now by making all these lists I can get on with some work.

Can anyone relate?
Absolutely! I procrastinate way too much. And I love how you point out how the effort going into structuring and planning often is actually just another way to procrastinate. I do that too... :happy:

Just as for you, my problem is that I know all the way that things won't take as much time as I have available, and then I subconsciously calculate when I really actually do need to start, and put things off until then. Its a bit tragic, because it means I hardly ever exceed my expectations either.

Part of it for me is also that I am very sensitive to the environment around me when doing things, so a lot of details must fall into the right place for me to be able to focus on what I am supposed to do. So many other things might easily grab my attention. If I am not excited by what I need to do, and look forward to it, it very easily is put off for as long as possible.

Especially at university, so much is about just spending time thinking about stuff and writing. And I'm lousy at forcing myself to think actively about things I don't enjoy, or see the point in doing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a midterm tomorrow... :tongue:
... I really should study soon:unsure:

Reactions: MissNobody

·
Registered
189 Posts
If i get side tracked and find a good song, i put it on repeat and don't do any of the planned work for at least 2 hours. its enough procrastination for you? this actually happens several times a day. :crazy:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Do I procratinate, sure?

With school work? God no. I simply do not have that luxary.

My INFJ friend does, a lot, and it all always turns out ok. In fact she frequently does far better than I do, when I've been obsessivly working at something for months. If she wasn't such a wonderful person I'd hate her. I can be quite restenful of people who can go out, party, and write an essay with a hang over the next day. I try not to be, but I can't help but think of the wasted potentual, what I would do if I had such abilities, and how unfair it is I work ten times as hard yet don't get ten times the benifits. I try very hard not to think that way, as it is unfair. It's my problem, not other peoples.

I have set plans and methods I have pain stakingly resurched and assembled to produce the best results. Systems, which I periodicly tweek. It can seem like I am procastraiting by doing lots of planning, or tweeking my systems, but it leads to a high quolity product. I just spend less time writing and re-writing my essay, as the essay itself is already writen out, just not in essay form.

However day to day tasks get ignored or procastraited over, like doing the washing up or shopping. I find it really hard to organise myself, though I am drawn to being organised, so something has to suffer.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This. :unsure: But honestly, as long as I do it in time and completely, does it matter WHEN I do it if the result is the same?
Probably not (Oh, it hurts to write it...oh...) but for me the result wouldn't be the same. The more time I spend on it the better it is, oddly, I have actually produced work that is so good it is unmarkable or is marked down as the anwsers go beyond the mark scheam, or my work is way too detailed and goes too far beyond the peramiters of what I have been asked, and there is a word limit.

Sometimes I feel like I just can't win. :tongue:

High School Teacher: this is a university level essay, the resurch and thought is fantastic

Me: really? *feeling of exultation*

Teacher: but... we only wanted 1000 words, and this is closer to 3000...and it is full of spelling and grammar mistakes. You also didn't mention Freud enough.

Me: But he is irelovant to my argument, as I explained with justification from multipul sources, and I need that level of detail to FULLY anwser the question. If I had more time I would have liked to go into more depth on some pionts.

Teacher: yes, but the mark scheam wants you to meantion specific pionts about Freud, in one of three ways.

Me: you didn't tell me to do that, you asked me about concience, and I anwsered it...

Teacher: yes...but no one EVER does what you have just done, we don't expect you to do that at this level. I know it seems unfair, but I am going to have to give you a C.

Me:...but...my soul is in that document.

Teacher: yes, I'm really really sorry. *writes a C in red ink, then circles several mispelt words, and hands it back....urge to kill, rises. Must, supress.*

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Yes, I procrastinate a lot.

Excuse #1: Mainly because it takes me a while to think about how I'm going to write a paper. Like right now I'm supposed to be reading an essay on skepticism and writing a dialectical essay about it. Well, I'm thinking about how to write the introduction and that has already been half an hour.

Excuse #2 : It has also been researched that people who procrastinate have higher quality of work.(Don't ask for references)

So yeah, anything for a well-thought and quality paper lol

Reactions: MissNobody

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I procrastinate a lot.

Excuse #1: Mainly because it takes me a while to think about how I'm going to write a paper. Like right now I'm supposed to be reading an essay on skepticism and writing a dialectical essay about it. Well, I'm thinking about how to write the introduction and that has already been half an hour.

Excuse #2 : It has also been researched that people who procrastinate have higher quality of work.(Don't ask for references)

So yeah, anything for a well-thought and quality paper lol
*cheers* Same here! I don't ever make outlines for papers/essays; I do it in my head, and I think that's part of what makes me seem like I procrastinate so much...nobody ever sees me actually "doing" anything related to the project at hand until shortly before it's due.

One of my biggest problems in high school was that I wouldn't turn something in until it was perfect. And I didn't do it until I had the perfect idea in my head. So, I think my perfectionism fed my procrastination.

My grades would usually look like: A, F, A, F, A, A, F, F, F, F for any given class (and the Fs were when I didn't do something). :dry:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Procrastinate should have my name next to it in the dictionary.

I've lost count of the number of holidays, jobs, interviews, social events, essay-deadlines I've made by the skin of my teeth. I just never seem to learn either, no matter how unpleasant these experiences are (and they are always traumatic). I've now just resigned myself to the fact that I will always be late for things and tasks will never be completed, so I try to warn people wherever possible, to minimise the backlash. I currently live with an ESFJ and I get shouted at on a daily basis; apparently it's a "Supervisor" type relationship, and true enough, he does verbally beat me with a stick regularly :unsure:

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I thought Js were very organized and productive and always gets work done :unsure:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Oooooh,

You all make me want to sit in a corner and rock myself backwards and fowards for a bit. How do you live that way?

I don't think considering an essay mentally ect is procastration, if so, then I procastinate a great deal over stuff like that. To me, it is still work and progress.

I am frequently late for things and I am always getting told off for being slow...my best friend sets my watch fast so I get to places on time. I tend to always make importaint events though.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I thought Js were very organized and productive and always gets work done :unsure:
We're dominantly P's. Introverted Intuition(Ni) is a perceiving function, so this doesn't surprise me at all lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Procrastinate should have my name next to it in the dictionary.

I've lost count of the number of holidays, jobs, interviews, social events, essay-deadlines I've made by the skin of my teeth. I just never seem to learn either, no matter how unpleasant these experiences are (and they are always traumatic). I've now just resigned myself to the fact that I will always be late for things and tasks will never be completed, so I try to warn people wherever possible, to minimise the backlash. I currently live with an ESFJ and I get shouted at on a daily basis; apparently it's a "Supervisor" type relationship, and true enough, he does verbally beat me with a stick regularly :unsure:
Oh my! Of course. Those S-types need things to be orderly and they are good at being on-task. I had a roommate in college once who got so annoyed because whenever I was late on something, my class always ended up being canceled or something would happen that I would get by by the skin of my teeth, and for her, she was always on top of everything and the one time she wasn't, her luck never fell that way! She would get so mad and let me know how upset that made her! I chuckle remembering that.

Man, I'm an E, but I share the rest of your type, and boy do I procrastinate!! I TOTALLY relate to what you say Miss Tfy (love ur name btw) about being late to everything and incomplete tasks! Tonight, for example what am I doing on here??? I'm supposed to be sorting papers and mail that has been accumulating and trying to get rid of this clutter around here. But no, I'm chatting with folks on here! lol :) erg! I am my worst enemy!

·
Registered
285 Posts

I am in my mind, I just need a good kick up the backside to make it a reality. A short, sharp shock does the trick but I've had those less and less since I was made redundant. When I switch into task-mode, look out, I take no prisoners. I bitterly resent being pulled away from think-time! Yet I do believe in structure. I make endless daily planner lists, have done for years, but when it comes to putting them into practise, I panic and freeze. And procrastinate.

Go on, tell me I'm a P at heart? The score's not far behind my J x

1 - 20 of 33 Posts