Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get sick often, and when I do I hate going to the doctors because a) it's probably nothing and I wasted money and b) I suck at explaining what's wrong.

I have a swollen lymph node on(in?) my neck and it's been bothering me for a few days. I'm stubborn and just want to wait it out but I can also be a hypochondriac at times so I'm assuming it's something worse than it actually is.

Point is, I'm wondering, do you put off going to the doctors because often times there's no point?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
All the time. I usually don't even want to go if its something major. Oh I broke my arm? It'll be fine if I just don't use it much. Oh, I cut my arm to the point where it's spewing blood everywhere? I'll just wrap a towel around it. I hate going to the doctor, honestly, I think I'd rather have my toes amputated than to go and get it checked.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the time. I usually don't even want to go if its something major. Oh I broke my arm? It'll be fine if I just don't use it much. Oh, I cut my arm to the point where it's spewing blood everywhere? I'll just wrap a towel around it. I hate going to the doctor, honestly, I think I'd rather have my toes amputated than to go and get it checked.
Exactly! I can't stand going to the doctors. The good part is, my mom works as a medical assistant in the doctors office I go to, and she sometimes works with my doctor so if I have a question she can just ask my doctor.

I'll ask her tomorrow about my swollen lymph node. :sad:

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I think so. Took me 3 years to get my wisdom teeth yet. and i think i may have strept because I get all the symptoms just about the same week each year. but i don't want the doctor to think I'm a hypochondriac or someone who has been browsing the illness websites too often. it could just be a very bad sore throat or something and it just so happens that it happens at the same time each year...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think so. Took me 3 years to get my wisdom teeth yet. and i think i may have strept because I get all the symptoms just about the same week each year. but i don't want the doctor to think I'm a hypochondriac or someone who has been browsing the illness websites too often. it could just be a very bad sore throat or something and it just so happens that it happens at the same time each year...

That's weird because for about 4 years I got strep throat at the same time, so now my tonsils are big and everything but I can't have them taken out because I don't get it enough. >.>

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
For me it's really that there's a disconnect between my health concerns and my immediate willingness to act on them. I can be acutely aware of the health issue I have and know I should really do something about it, but I neither want to inconvenience those who would have to get me through the process (still on my parents' insurance and whatnot atm), nor do I want to submit myself to the process. There's a part of me that just viscerally resists change and action -- it's the part of me that notices the medical issue, but it's also the part of me that is unwilling to let doctors "do something" to it.

A good example of this is that I have frequent earwax buildup in one of my ears, to the point that every so often (once a year or more), my hearing will be totally blocked up for that ear. I'll just hear muffled sounds, and I can feel it all stuffed up. I think it's something to do with the shape of my ear canal combined with some overactive glands. Anyway, despite this being quite a big issue, it took me a while to even realize that I should really let my parents know about it so they can help me figure out what to do. I let myself have only half of my hearing for three weeks, just due to an innate stubbornness and disconnectedness that prevented me from really seeking care.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am not sure my doctor is alive, she looked pretty old I have seen her for the first and last time and it has been a couple of years.

Reactions: JoanCrawford

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I never go because I like to 'man up' and pull through problems myself. But if I really do need to then I will, because this is the UK, we have the NHS, and it is therefore free :). That doesn't mean I'm a freeloader though! I'm just saying, money is not one of my reasons for not visiting a doctor. But hell, I don't even like to take pills. In a strange way, I love being sick. As long as it doesn't kill me, I love the pride of having survived it. Same goes for injuries. It's awful at the time, but I like knowing I've been through something. However, to sum up... I'll rarely go to the doctor. That's the wuss method, and, in the UK at least, is a largely consumeristic affair. 'Oh I'm a bit sick, I best go to the doctor because he can cure everything for me, I don't need to learn anything for myself, there is a person there for my every need'...

edit:

Best doctor I ever had was an old bloke who was clearly past retirement age. He came across as the medical practitioner version of Whinston Churchill - same face, physique, voice. He was a real dude, clearly still working because he genuinely enjoyed it. I needed a medical check-up because I was interested in trying to be a pilot for the Royal Air Force (yeah... uhm... don't ask... young, foolish whim). After he checked and said everything was tickety-boo, he heartily shook my hand and wished me good luck. I felt like the young hero of a Disney adventure movie.

Anyway I just wanted to say most doctor's aren't like that any more. They're all just medical-schooled career-chasers, pushed into it by vicarious parents. Bring back the days where humanity came before money and statistics.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A good example of this is that I have frequent earwax buildup in one of my ears, to the point that every so often (once a year or more), my hearing will be totally blocked up for that ear. I'll just hear muffled sounds, and I can feel it all stuffed up. I think it's something to do with the shape of my ear canal combined with some overactive glands. Anyway, despite this being quite a big issue, it took me a while to even realize that I should really let my parents know about it so they can help me figure out what to do. I let myself have only half of my hearing for three weeks, just due to an innate stubbornness and disconnectedness that prevented me from really seeking care.
Had it for years now. I used to get my ears cleaned at the doctor's, but after two such visits I started doing it myself.

I've walked around with a tumor the size of a pingpong ball in the left parotid gland for about ten years and even longer with a hernia that kept coming back. I don't think I'm the kind of person who goes see a doctor. When I do, something is seriously broken.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No. Because I've lost relatives (including a parent) that way...and sometimes something apparently minor can be part of major underlying causes. Although, there have been doctor's mistakes that nearly cost me the other parent.

Yes. Admittedly, I'm slow to respond to "make an appointment" letters......and only after about the third one at times....

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
Yes. Bones heal on their own anyway, as I found out.
l think l fractured my ankle once when l had no insurance, l'm still not sure if it was a fracture or a really bad sprain.

People of course told me it was broken(dumbasses) and that l had to go the hospital, but l wasn't quite buying it (ER is a 24 hour affair here).

l did a lot of research online and concluded that it was likely at most a minor fracture, and it did heal in about 2-3 weeks.

But serious breaks can leave you with arthritis :cool:

Or infection.

Or all teh deadz.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Every time I need to go see a doctor, I'm given an appointment date many days away, because of reasons (like it's the first time I've made an appointment with them). I ended up having to go to the ER to deal with a killer earache.

This puts me off from wanting to see a doctor. I hate having to wait days for arbitrary reasons.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The last time I was at the doctors I got shots.. Maybe 6 years ago? I don't even have a doctor at present. I probably should go because one of my wrists is screwed up but at the same time the smell, the feeling of the area.. -shudders- Plus, I know that if I go it would require (require as in I will be forced to get one.) a full physical and that somewhat scares me. I'm pretty much saying that if my wrist is still bothering me in a few months I will get it checked out then since it seems to be an off an on type of thing. Part of it is because I noticed I either have a tolerance to pain medication (which is odd because I have never taken it that often) metabolize it fast or it just doesn't work. I've had up to the legal limit of dental anaesthesia (believe it would be lidocaine) and still felt the procedure.
Also needles + me = bad.

Though I will admit I will research symptoms and what can cause them if the likely out comes are nothing serious then I just pay attention to what my body is saying at the moment.

I fought even going to an eye person, though apparently glasses are somewhat necessary.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I get sick rarely and I usually wait it off if it isn't anything serious. I have grown with a surgeon father so if I sense that there is something wrong that I haven't encountered before I always contact him xD

1 - 20 of 45 Posts