Votes: 40 37.0%
  • IN - Third Person

Votes: 32 29.6%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to recall a memory -- do you see it in first person, or do you see it in third person?

·
Registered
362 Posts
always first

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
Third more often than first. It's kind of odd.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
First. My memories, especially the more significant ones, tend to be very vivid in terms of exactly what I remember. The elements surrounding it, how I felt, what I saw, the environmental factors, etc are all part of what implants a memory in my mind and helps me recount it. Every now and then there are memories I have that are surreal in that it was such a weird situation or just something so far removed from the norm that it seems like it happened to someone else and not me. Those are the ones I sometimes recall in third person as even though I remember them well, they don't feel like something I myself actually experienced and just can't get in the mindset of applying it to me.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm so first person seems to be common so far. I have always recalled memories in third person--as if I'm a spectator watching myself and everyone else. I can't even imagine what it's like to recall a memory in first person.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
First person, always. I've dreamt in third person a few times, though.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
How would I see things in third person? Would I be picturing myself from a bird's eye view or something?

But then I'd be re-imagining it, not remembering it...?

Reactions: sanari

·
Registered
71 Posts
How would I see things in third person? Would I be picturing myself from a bird's eye view or something?

I recall things in third person.

It's something akin to playing out scenes in your mind as you read. Except, in this case, you are the protagonist. When my doppelganger performs an action (e.g. smile), the emotions I experienced at that moment would also transcend to me, the viewer.

Reactions: Choice

·
Registered
552 Posts
I recall things in third person.

It's something akin to playing out scenes in your mind as you read. Except, in this case, you are the protagonist. When my doppelganger performs an action (e.g. smile), the emotions I experienced at that moment would also transcend to me, the viewer.
This.

I have a lot of difficulty putting myself behind my eyes in a memory.

It's an interesting reminder of how fallible the human memory is.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Both. The more painful or traumatic the event I'm recalling, the more likely it is that I'll recall it from the third person perspective. It's kind of like reviewing it from a minimum safe (emotional) distance so I can examine it, learn from it, but not actually re-experience it.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I picked first person, but that's not always the case -- sometimes I do have images of "me" in the memory, as if watching myself from the outside. It's interesting since I can tell it's an idealized me, not the actual me from the event in question.

Reactions: Zombie Devil Duckie

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

It's basically pulling your perception away from your body. It doesn't have to be in the sky. For me it is a few feet back, usually. However, I am typically very aware of my surroundings, so in the memory I can see what's behind me and all around me, too. It would be like watching a movie with you as the actor.

I like what the other person said: it's a way to examine yourself and everything around you.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I think mostly third person. The memories I have as a young child seem to be in first person mainly, but now they are mostly in third. I wonder when or why that happened...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.