Personality Cafe banner

Do you relate to other INFPs on PerC?

• No, not at all. I wonder if I'm an INFP at all.

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • I mostly do.

Votes: 51 41.8%
  • I do, and I'm not even an INFP

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • It is like they are in my brain thinking my thoughts

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I look through these threads and I go... "WTF? Okay, there's no way I can be an INFP, if that's what INFPs are like," but sometimes I go, "Oh! Relief! I'm not the only one who does that!" Do you relate to other INFPs on this forum?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I think we're a pretty diverse crowd.

I can definitely relate to a lot of things, but I also recognise a lot as 'the way I used to be' rather than the way I am now.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.

I've said this before, but I used to be under the impression that I was an INFJ, so until I came to Personality Cafe, I had only been in INFJ forums. As opposed to my experience with INFJs, INFPs seem to be much more diverse. I don't know if that's because the INFP population here is simply so much larger than any other INFJ population I've experienced or just because I never really understood INFJ-ism at all.

Anyway, having pointed out the diversity, some INFPs are very soft, optimistic, and seemingly a little naive. Some INFPs seem very analytical and a little cold (some of them to the extent that they even masquerade as INTPs). (And there are even more INFPs who don't fit either of those descriptions at all.) I tend to fall somewhere between the two, oscillating between them, and the archetypal histrionics of both extremes really stick out to me.

At the same time, now and then, people here really surprise me, and they say something I swear I could've written myself. There are some definite differences, but I find I have a lot of things in common with other INFPs. Those things tend to occur on much more fundamental levels than just taste in movies or even moral values, however, so there's not always a "click," even if we view and even interact with the world in similar ways. (Does that make sense?)

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
Some INFPs surrender their backbone in order to fit in with people, and that gets me really annoyed. I can see the exact point where they give up their own independent thought to appease someone else. That's when I stop relating to those INFPs.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Some INFPs surrender their backbone in order to fit in with people, and that gets me really annoyed. I can see the exact point where they give up their own independent thought to appease someone else. That's when I stop relating to those INFPs.
Can I talk about this?

for example:
on the thread 'do you find chubbier people attractive' or whatever it was, there were some feeling types that criticized a couple of ESTJ's 'shallow natures' saying they're only attracted to muscle etc. Others (me included) took the opinion that people can't help what they're attracted to so it's best not to pretend you're into something you're not.

Would this be interpreted by other INFP's as 'selling out'?

·
5,108 Posts
Can I talk about this?

for example:
on the thread 'do you find chubbier people attractive' or whatever it was, there were some feeling types that criticized a couple of ESTJ's 'shallow natures' saying they're only attracted to muscle etc. Others (me included) took the opinion that people can't help what they're attracted to so it's best not to pretend you're into something you're not.

Would this be interpreted by other INFP's as 'selling out'?
I haven't seen what you're referring to, but generally speaking, what I consider to be "selling out" is essentially latching on to someone else and mirroring what they say in order to get approval. If that was happening there, then it might be. I've noticed that some INFPs are very approval-seeking and have no problem in adopting someone else's views for a while to get accepted.

Reactions: benfoldsfive dude

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I haven't seen what you're referring to, but generally speaking, what I consider to be "selling out" is essentially latching on to someone else and mirroring what they say in order to get approval. If that was happening there, then it might be. I've noticed that some INFPs are very approval-seeking and have no problem in adopting someone else's views for a while to get accepted.
I think INFPs could throw out their individual ideals and opinions to fit in with the greater INFP mass too.

·
5,108 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can actually relate to both sides of this, since I used to do this and now definitely do not (or think it's a really negative personality trait). Sometimes it really isn't an issue with me to try to blend in with people that I may not be very similar to but that I don't really sacrifice my values to hang out with. However, it's dumb to pretend you're okay with people saying and doing things that you really don't agree with, especially if you never even let your opinions out there. So, while I can definitely relate to the impulse, I definitely agree you can't sacrifice your independence just to be alright with others.

·
Banned
463 Posts
It's not like being an INFP makes us all one collective person, and it shouldn't be. When it come to broader things such as the way we write, our general thought processes, and interests: Sure! I'm a lot alike the INFPs on here.
When you get more specific, we become less and less alike. The differences fan out.

However, it is crazy the number of times I've read posts that say things I have word for word...

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I mostly do
I relate more with the type 4 or type 2 INFPs but not so much the type 9s. it's not the same but it's often similar the things the other INFPs have gone through and especially in the younger ones i see alot of me at their age.

Reactions: rowingineden

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I find I can find something to relate to most people regardless of type, even if I have not experienced exactly what they have. Relating is a process that sometimes takes a bit of effort.

I don't really feel the need to distinguish myself as being 'different' to other infps'. Because... well... geeze, why would I expect other infps' to behave exactly the same way I do? I experience enough commonalities, and prefer to focus on the similarities than what makes me 'different'. Most infps' here are under 25, and most use this place as a respite; or they use the boards for emotional validation. I understand that, and I have no problem with it. I do it too, seeing as I'm pretty much socially isolated :tongue:. I enjoy talking about separate ideologues other than subjective feeling, as much as I find it enriching to read what people are going through and to offer any help I can. There is more to a person than what they post too. Getting to know someone individually is a much better situation in which to attempt to "relate" to someone.

That said, it's kinda strange being from a different country when the majority of people here are Americans. I don't know... there's just a cultural difference there... a difference in communication and life experience I suppose.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I mentioned this in the venting thread. I feel like I don't relate to other INFPs at all, but I do relate to the definitions of an INFP. So, I don't know. I'm a type 4, so I have that need to feel special and different from everyone else. Plus, I relate with my MyPersonality assessment that says I got a good bit of T and J in me. I think that contributes to me not seeing things the way a lot of other INFPs do.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I voted mostly do because a Lot of the time I do relate to people and things posted on here but sometimes I ain't at all which most INFP's seem like they are, Like poetry, Writing, I don't like them.
Most INFP's here seem to be very good at explaining and helping, Which I like to do but seem very bad at it.
I don't seem to be as smart as well haha.
Maybe I should of voted sometimes :tongue:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do *sometimes* relate to INFPs. But, it would appear to me that a larger percentage of the population of INFPs I see here on PC are the more soft, optimistic, and idealistic type. And this makes me doubt my type. Because, well, I'm just not optimistic or idealistic. So, that makes it harder for me to relate.

Instead I hang out in the INFJ forum, and INT section.

Yep. I doubt I will ever fully understand just what type I am.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sometimes I do, and some times I don't.

I agree with these statements completely. Last year, I did something similar to what you are saying, in order to have more friends. However, I didn't adopt their views, but whenever they shared their views, I just nodded on by agreeing with them; that's not healthy at all. But going back to the posts, I think that INFPs do this because they don't want unnecessary conflict among whoever. I believe that these kinds of issues are more sub-conscious than what's on the surface.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I mentioned this in the venting thread. I feel like I don't relate to other INFPs at all, but I do relate to the definitions of an INFP. So, I don't know. I'm a type 4, so I have that need to feel special and different from everyone else. Plus, I relate with my MyPersonality assessment that says I got a good bit of T and J in me. I think that contributes to me not seeing things the way a lot of other INFPs do.
I was like that at first because I actually do have a pretty developed T suprisingly,How many times have you taken the MBTI type test? I took it over 40 just to make sure every single time I ALWAYS got INFP,plus it's actually common for us to question our type. At first I would look at some of the threads and mainly the you know your an INFP when.... thread and I couldn't relate to it at all,but now there are some things on there I do relate to and I found some people I can relate to on here. I think it just takes time really,or you could re-do the test a bundle of times :p

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
When I was an INTP (thought I was, was on an INTP forum not here...) much as I related to many of the opinions and experiences and the views expressed there was something missing, I later worked out this was the personal opinion without needing to cite a book as "proof". I came here to interact with other types in the hope of bettering my social skills but since discovering I'm really an INFP I rarely leave this section - why would I, it's just such a great atmosphere of like minded people who can still see the other side of an argument but have an opinion of their own. Even if they don't see things the same way the ways they express it I can relate to, so I had to vote most of the time.

It is scary when someone seems to have read my mind but other times people disagree with my views, without this variety it would be dull. I guess I should hang out more in an ST section to see how bad it could be :crazy:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts