Personality Cafe banner

Villain vs Hero which one do you best understand?

• Hero

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Villain

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Both

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • The side kicks

Votes: 3 5.7%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a strange question, or maybe I am way off. Do you think you understand the hero or the villain more often?

I always feel like I understand the villains in most movies I watch. Sometimes the hero makes irrational decisions and just rushes in, (Hollywood climax. This just drives me crazy and I have thoughts like "well he deserved that punch in the face he should have known that was a trap and done X Y and Z to prevent it."

When I was a child watching some old Disney movies I understood and sometimes really liked the evil villains, but at the same time I thought everybody else did as well so I didn't find it strange.
Hercules, Lion King, Aladdin, etc.
Looking back now I realize how odd it was, I was also homeschooled so this could be why I thought I was fairly normal. Including the fact I never cared to much about socializing until my late teen years when I figured out it is required.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Heyoka

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, I almost always relate to the villain. But I do get conflicted
when they make stupid mistakes.

The fact that Walter didn't make an excuse for knowing Gale,
which wouldn't be so hard considering they are both great
chemists in the same town. That's so stupid. It's gonna sink
him. One lie today is better than 2 lies tomorrow.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Honestly, no. The only two hero/villain type movies I like are Aladdin and the Incredibles. Jafar probably could have succeeded much easier if he had not tried to kill Aladdin as he was trying to escape the Cave of Wonders. And Syndrome, while an impressive inventor and intellectual, still angered me when he insisted on trying to help Mr. Incredible fight Bomb Voyage (that name still makes me laugh) and ended causing his escape.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I understood the villian's motives, but I can't say I always related to them. However I related to them more than the hero, in most cases. I remember watching Lion King and feeling conflicted because Simba was so reckless, I thought Scar would've been a better choice for king.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess this should be two questions.

who do you relate to?
I don't relate my life to the villains.

who do you understand?
I
understand the villains motive and I find them to have pretty ingenious plans where the hero is usually air headed and spontaneous

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I understood the villian's motives, but I can't say I always related to them. However I related to them more than the hero, in most cases. I remember watching Lion King and feeling conflicted because Simba was so reckless, I thought Scar would've been a better choice for king.
He almost starved his pride to death though...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Both, it really depends.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He almost starved his pride to death though...
But look at his army of hyenas and his brilliant plan to over throw the king who oppressed him into darkness. I would be a little bitter after that.

On a side note, nobody feels relatable to the sidekicks? I didn't think so but meh.

Attachments

Reactions: Priva

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Dan E

true after he gained control he messed up, him being biased, selfish, and over confident ultimately led him to his defeat. You know, the good guy has to win :rolleyes: I was more connected to scar then Simba.
Simba was self centered as well but he was way to unpredictable for me to like him.

also my husband is now making fun of me saying I will rule an empire of dust. Bah humbug.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I usually don't relate to either but I always feel far more empathy for the villain. I can't help but think of the underlying emotional trauma that caused them to become "evil." Usually they're not at fault for whatever it was that they went through that changed them and how can we condemn them for coping the only way their brain could figure out how to? Maybe it's silly but I even think that way about real life criminals. Not that I think their actions are justified or that there shouldn't be consequences, but it's still sad to think about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You know, the good guy has to win :rolleyes:
Oh, I don't know. But then I was thinking of an instance in a tv show in the 80s, where one of the lead characters (an Assemblyman) was in league with the villains but eventually shot the villain dead at point blank range to cover up his involvement and won his election to the State Senate and got away with murder for the next 13 years without ever getting caught.

The villain who got shot dead was always calm and assured on the show and never once heavily emoted (a slight frown or a slight smile was all you ever got), no matter who he was having beaten up, whose career he was destroying, who he was blackmailing, having shot dead or whose house he was burning down. When the police chased his limo (after a murder attempt), he was casually drinking in the back, having had planned for every eventuality. And sure enough, he escaped.

He would even display intimate knowledge of people's lives to the point that he scared someone with a "remain watchful for these three things will happen", predicting that her brother would phone with good news, naming which of her employees would have to leave early that day and knowing that her daughter would cancel lunch because her car would break down and then he named the mechanic repairing it..... and then telling her that her husband would be killed if he didn't drop his investigation. And he would do that stuff while examining the lampshades, filing his nails or cleaning his tie.

His only given motivation was that he had childhood asthma and never learned how to fight.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I will be the first to give some love to the sidekicks. I prefer being a supporting character to someone else's protagonist than the hero in my own drama. The smarter sidekicks tend to stay alive, exert a certain level of influence over their 'employer', and are generally privy to a great deal of information from both camps. The idiot ones tend to die off rather quickly (except, conversely, when their own sheer stupidity keeps them alive), but all in all, give me a good, reliable, loyal henchman any day...

·
Registered
503 Posts
The stupid point of heroes is they never look at the big picture. They rely on the rest of the world.

For example comics superheroes usually want arrest the bad guy and forget about it. Only The Punisher had a bit of brain: "If you bring a criminal to justice, he will be outside again in 5 minutes"

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I don't take most films seriously enough to identify with any of the characters.
:laughing: exactly. and i just read my way down a whole half a thread talking about the lion king as if it were worth attention?

just don't let me hear anyone from in here complaining about the 'triviality' of other people's chosen subject matter from here on, that's all :tongue:

back on topic: i don't relate to any story that has heroes and villains in it, by definition almost. the hero-villain format is a construct in its own right, ime, not a thing that occurs in real life. it's a showcase or framework that gets set up specifically so that certain facets of human experience can be put on display and vicariously indulged in by other people. conflict is interesting. but to me the fact that a good-guy-bad-guy story is just facets automatically takes all the interest from it.

but then what do i know. the last movie i saw was that french one on renoir.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:laughing: exactly. and i just read my way down a whole half a thread talking about the lion king as if it were worth attention?

just don't let me hear anyone from in here complaining about the 'triviality' of other people's chosen subject matter from here on, that's all :tongue:
Never mind...

I like the brainy side kicks, working behind the scenes..

·
Registered
484 Posts
The villain can easily be portrayed as a hero given the right person telling the story.

Reactions: Pogona Vitticeps

·
Registered
5,535 Posts

back on topic: i don't relate to any story that has heroes and villains in it, by definition almost. the hero-villain format is a construct in its own right, ime, not a thing that occurs in real life. it's a showcase or framework that gets set up specifically so that certain facets of human experience can be put on display and vicariously indulged in by other people. conflict is interesting. but to me the fact that a good-guy-bad-guy story is just facets automatically takes all the interest from it.

but then what do i know. the last movie i saw was that french one on renoir.
This is why I can never get into Star Wars. We are just told that the Empire is evil and the other guys are good, but we don't even know what their purpose is apart from fighting each other.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.