Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember most conversations I have with others and everything they've ever told me (if I was paying attention to them when they were talking). Does having to repeat yourself by answering a question about yourself twice annoy you (because someone forgot they asked you something)? Does it really bother you when you're in a relationship and the person you're with doesn't remember most of what you have shared with him when you remember every detail about him (to the point of scaring him)?

·
Banned
255 Posts
I remember the vast majority of my conversations and the details contained within, but this is partly due to the fact that I have so few conversations with people in my life that the totality is easy to remember. I'm not sure that this would be the case if I interacted with people more.

I am not bothered when people don't remember, and I don't see it as a big deal to repeat something. Most of the time, people don't intentionally forget things, and I don't expect people to memorize everything in our conversations (even I usually do) especially given that most people I encounter have far more social interaction in their lives than I do.

I can't comment on how this would pan out in the context of a romantic relationship, as that hasn't occurred yet for me. :p

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
people I don't converse with frequently, I tend to remember most details they tell me. People I converse with regularly, all the conversations blur, but I do tend to remember new details.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember the vast majority of my conversations and the details contained within, but this is partly due to the fact that I have so few conversations with people in my life that the totality is easy to remember. I'm not sure that this would be the case if I interacted with people more.

I am not bothered when people don't remember, and I don't see it as a big deal to repeat something. Most of the time, people don't intentionally forget things, and I don't expect people to memorize everything in our conversations (even I usually do) especially given that most people I encounter have far more social interaction in their lives than I do.

I can't comment on how this would pan out in the context of a romantic relationship, as that hasn't occurred yet for me. :p

You're right: people don't intentionally forget things, so I should be more patient. It's just frustrating having the same conversation more than once, especially when you're an introvert and it's about yourself!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
With SOME people, if I'm vested enough in it/them. Sometimes I remember details edeitically, other times I remember random contexts or words. I can be pretty forgetful.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can't recall all conversations on command. If they were interesting, intimate or memorable for some other reason I'll probably remember them quite well. I do sometimes find myself remembering a conversation word for word that happened years ago and carried no significance. It's at times interesting how much perspective time adds to a conversation that you yourself were a part of.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I can’t remember where I put my shoes but I recollect vivid interactions from childhood.

One of the reasons why I cannot sleep is because my brain replays picture-esque instances from my past: the Nostalgia channel, only available in HD.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Only when the conversations are relevant to wherever my train of thought takes me. I never purposely remember it; that only makes my mind delete it some day or another, but it just pops up at odd times.

"How are your fish doing?"

"My fish are dead."

"Oh, yeah, last month you asked me to buy you some red-and-green fish feed, right? By texting me at one o'clock AM? And then you asked me how to raise Siamese fighting fish, and you said, 'I raised them in Michigan, but they died after three days during my family's vacation to Lake Ontario in August'?"

:tongue:It is a fact of life. My neighbor was not quite happy.

Reactions: Draco

·
Registered
815 Posts
I can’t remember where I put my shoes but I recollect vivid interactions from childhood.

One of the reasons why I cannot sleep is because my brain replays picture-esque instances from my past: the Nostalgia channel, only available in HD.
I relate. Sometimes I start replaying a memory while lying in bed and then have to ask myself; Why the f*** am I remembering this?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I can remember every conversation with a person I like, but it's different with people I meet on saturdays; I don't even remember their names. Great thing tough is that it doesn't matter anyways.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because I remember most conversations I have with people, I always catch them when they lie. They don't remember that they told me something different months before that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
depends on what they find their priority and how pertinent the conversation is, like with anyone. they remember monologues the best. jk. ok, half kid'. im surprised how many INTP people here actually remember conversations with others.... I only remember what ive contributed or whatever comes to my mind. maybe thats one of my follies.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think I remember every conversation I've ever had, especially with people I like(d), but then maybe I just remember some of them and since other people remember almost none of them there is no way to verify it. I think if I talked to people more often, every conversation wouldn't stand out in my mind so much.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I remember every conversation I've ever had, especially with people I like(d), but then maybe I just remember some of them and since other people remember almost none of them there is no way to verify it. I think if I talked to people more often, every conversation wouldn't stand out in my mind so much.
How would you feel in a relationship where you remember everything your significant other has shared with you, but he remembers very little of what you shared with him (compared to what you remember of him)? Would you feel frustrated? Would you feel that you loved him much more than he loved you and that would never improve?

I have this guy friend and sometimes I go a few weeks without seeing him. I try to pick up where we left off in our conversations, but he remembers very little of what I say. He asks me the same questions multiple times. Sometimes he misunderstands what I say because I'll say something based on something I've already told him, but because he has forgotten he doesn't understand what I mean. I am patient about it, but I have this fear that I'll always care much more about someone than they do me because I remember all of our interactions in detail.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How would you feel in a relationship where you remember everything your significant other has shared with you, but he remembers very little of what you shared with him (compared to what you remember of him)? Would you feel frustrated? Would you feel that you loved him much more than he loved you and that would never improve?

I have this guy friend and sometimes I go a few weeks without seeing him. I try to pick up where we left off in our conversations, but he remembers very little of what I say. He asks me the same questions multiple times. Sometimes he misunderstands what I say because I'll say something based on something I've already told him, but because he has forgotten he doesn't understand what I mean. I am patient about it, but I have this fear that I'll always care much more about someone than they do me because I remember all of our interactions in detail.
I'm in a similar situation, actually... We haven't been together that long (and it's long distance), but I have noticed that he tells me the same stories over and over, to a degree (and then I'm like, "yeah, you've mentioned that." but he usually continues anyway. That is likely to get old fast, I think).

I don't think the fact that he doesn't remember everything has that much to do with how much he cares about me. As long as he's showing he cares in other ways, I'm not worried. People have different ways of showing that they care; I don't think it's fair to use one thing as a measuring-stick, but I don't know. Even though I remember our interactions in more detail, I think maybe he's the one who cares more...:mellow:

That said, your guy sounds incredibly annoying and yes I would (will?) feel frustrated after a while. I've never really understood how people can be so forgetful, though I think, as I said, that it may have something to to with the amount of conversations one has.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in a similar situation, actually... We haven't been together that long (and it's long distance), but I have noticed that he tells me the same stories over and over, to a degree (and then I'm like, "yeah, you've mentioned that." but he usually continues anyway. That is likely to get old fast, I think).

I don't think the fact that he doesn't remember everything has that much to do with how much he cares about me. As long as he's showing he cares in other ways, I'm not worried. People have different ways of showing that they care; I don't think it's fair to use one thing as a measuring-stick, but I don't know. Even though I remember our interactions in more detail, I think maybe he's the one who cares more...:mellow:

That said, your guy sounds incredibly annoying and yes I would (will?) feel frustrated after a while. I've never really understood how people can be so forgetful, though I think, as I said, that it may have something to to with the amount of conversations one has.
I meant someone who remembers less, cares less in the literal sense - not intentionally or because he's apathetic, but by default. Do you understand what I mean? If I have more memories of the times we spent together and remember more of the details about him, I have more reasons to care and my feelings, I think, will be stronger.

My guy is really caring and an awesome person, so those qualities are definitely worth being patient for, I think.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts