Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ISTJ's!

Some types get "cool" titles like "Visionary" (ENTP) or "Inspirer" (ENFP). ISTJ's are often called "Duty Fulfillers", which, if we're being honest, is just a little bit less sexy.

Do you resent that title? Do you think you have a better one that fits who you are and who your fellow ISTJ's are? What about other stereotypes about ISTJs, do you feel like the MBTI boxes you in and misses out on some key aspects of your being?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Hello ISTJ's!

Some types get "cool" titles like "Visionary" (ENTP) or "Inspirer" (ENFP). ISTJ's are often called "Duty Fulfillers", which, if we're being honest, is just a little bit less sexy.
Do you resent that title?
Why would I resent a label assigned to my personality archetype? My ego is stable enough that a label assigned to an MBTI type is not going to affect me: I am more than my MBTI type.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I honestly don't care at all about it. At the end of the day, who is opressing iNtuitives everywhere with oppressive policies and totalitarian regimes in the workplace? Me.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I honestly don't care at all about it. At the end of the day, who is opressing iNtuitives everywhere with oppressive policies and totalitarian regimes in the workplace? Me.
QUICK!! There's an ENFP uprising in District 12!!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think we had this conversation a while back, or it was similar. I believe the conclusion we came to was that we were renaming ourselves as something that had to do with robots and being totally freaking awesome and gah- I don't remember. But either way, it was great.

Seriously though, a title is just a title. Like it matters, you know? We really don't care.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well, The Protectors is not all that exciting, either.
:wink:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Actually I do resent all stereotypes and labels.

Banding together: When newcomers find MBTI, they automatically seek out which "profile" they fit into, or which describes them best. In doing so, they attach onto ideologues and labels that they wish to wear around on a plate of honor-- equally refusing to accept anything they think they don't agree with. The image ones has of himself is often skewed by his or her own perception of 'reality' and blinded with bias. MBTI teaches us to look deeper and past these first glances at the real underlying truth--very few make it that far, instead, band together under whichever banner they approve of at any one given time and then instruct and influence others to do the same thing. This is one reason why sooo many people are mistyped.

Accusing: When we're looking for someone to hate, or a reason for an infraction, or closure on a wound, or an explanation as to why this person is 'so evil' or 'so unreasonable', what do we notice first? Stereotypes and labels. We find the labels that we feel best fits our agenda and latch on. Completely taking everything out of context as long as it supports our end goal. This is even apparent in the small ways; when we see little nuances we don't like, we seek explanations and attach labels, hindering both our understanding and our growth.

Labels help categorize things and make it easier for people to 'understand', but the cons far outweigh the pros IMO.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Actually I do resent all stereotypes and labels.

Banding together: When newcomers find MBTI, they automatically seek out which "profile" they fit into, or which describes them best. In doing so, they attach onto ideologues and labels that they wish to wear around on a plate of honor-- equally refusing to accept anything they think they don't agree with. The image ones has of himself is often skewed by his or her own perception of 'reality' and blinded with bias. MBTI teaches us to look deeper and past these first glances at the real underlying truth--very few make it that far, instead, band together under whichever banner they approve of at any one given time and then instruct and influence others to do the same thing. This is one reason why sooo many people are mistyped.

Accusing: When we're looking for someone to hate, or a reason for an infraction, or closure on a wound, or an explanation as to why this person is 'so evil' or 'so unreasonable', what do we notice first? Stereotypes and labels. We find the labels that we feel best fits our agenda and latch on. Completely taking everything out of context as long as it supports our end goal. This is even apparent in the small ways; when we see little nuances we don't like, we seek explanations and attach labels, hindering both our understanding and our growth.

Labels help categorize things and make it easier for people to 'understand', but the cons far outweigh the pros IMO.
Depends.

If the label becomes the goal for altering our behavior to match the label, then you are right. But if the label is simply an easy way to refer to a set or sub-set of expressed behaviors, or cognitive preferences, and doesn't impact who we are and how we see ourselves, then it is not a bad thing - it is just a thing.

I view this personality research into ourselves as just a way of defining your current location, much like the mall signs with the arrow that say, "you are here." Now that you know where you are, you can seek to improve and become the person you were destined to be, should wisdom, knowledge, and opportunity converge.

What we call "here," whether ISTJ, duty-fulfiller, guardian, or some other title, matters not - if we treat it as a starting point and not as a defining point.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think we had this conversation a while back, or it was similar. I believe the conclusion we came to was that we were renaming ourselves as something that had to do with robots and being totally freaking awesome and gah- I don't remember. But either way, it was great.

Seriously though, a title is just a title. Like it matters, you know? We really don't care.
Hahaha, well, I know the title is unimportant, but I still think that ISTJ's can be described in a "sexier" way than "Duty Fulfiller". Or maybe it's my own bias in thinking that duty-fulfilling isn't sexy. I don't know.

You know who was focused on fulfilling his duty? The Terminator!

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Hahaha, well, I know the title is unimportant, but I still think that ISTJ's can be described in a "sexier" way than "Duty Fulfiller". Or maybe it's my own bias in thinking that duty-fulfilling isn't sexy. I don't know.

You know who was focused on fulfilling his duty? The Terminator!
Meh, "duty fulfiller" isn't so bad, considering we tend to value loyalty and being trustworthy more than other things.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts