Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you run? (I mean, running/jogging mid-long distances, so more than 3 km.)

Do you enjoy running? (Preparing for the run, during the run, after the run.)

If you do run, please share your running routine and experiences :)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have been known but am in a lull. Usually I'd run a 10k every other day. I haven't much lately. That was my routine a year ago.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I ran for a period of time in elementary school.

The issue is, I live in Florida, and my ESTJ father is into exercising in any way he can.
So, if I were to ever decide I wanted to start running I would get a new pair of running shoes and have a schedual set up for me, and it wouldn't matter how hot and humid it was outside. Even if it was raining a bit, the justification would be "The rain cools you off"
I'm a really athletic person, so that's not something I really want to go back to.

The two things I have started doing more are swimming, and Hula-hooping.

I like swimming because I have a pool in my backyard, and I can float around or do laps, or jump up and down, or see how long I can hold my breath. It's lots of variety, and it's often really peaceful.

Then Hula-hooping is something I've always been good at, and it's easy to do. I've been trying to do it for 20 minutes a day, ten minutes to the right, ten minutes to the left, just while watching TV. It's easy, it doesn't feel like a chore, I enjoy it, and I can do it in the air conditioning.
I'm really interested in getting a nicer hoop so I can do more complicated stuff, such as this
[video=youtube;wML9pB-YYJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wML9pB-YYJM"][video=youtube;wML9pB-YYJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wML9pB-YYJM[/VIDEO[/video]

Start about ten seconds in.

So, running's not for me, but I have been enjoying some other activities.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I used to do a bit of mid-long distance running with my school when I was younger, maybe 12/13 years old. I'd train in my vest maybe 3 days a week for about 45 mins each of those days. I remember thinking, "yeahhh Paula Radcliffe ain't got sh*t on me". 1500m race that I was training for is in motion and me and my friend are amongst the 10, all the others being from different schools. Coming up to the last 200m and my friend and I are racing our hearts out for SEVENTH place.

7 years on and I still remind my friend of that glorious moment I beat him to 7th position. We had a good 300m to go by the time the winner crossed the line!

·
Registered
353 Posts
when i'm not fat (Not right now haha) i'm the fastest football player in my school (i'd say by miles haha)
They even call me ''the son of the wind'' for that :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
In high school I signed up for competitive cross country running. I was completely out of shape (not fat, just flabby) and had no interest in running, but a bunch of my friends were doing it so I knew it would be fun (I also did tennis, cross-country skiing and grade 12 chemistry for the exact same reason).

Most of my friends (core group of about 6 guys) were pretty good athletes, but one of them was well over 200 pounds, so I didn't have to worry about being the weakest link. We ran together in practice, and I knew I could always keep pace with him.

Our first meet was a 10k run. I slammed a Red Bull before the race and got a very quick jump off the start. After the first thirty seconds or so, I was in the top ten. Then the adrenaline rush faded and people started passing me. My strides got smaller and smaller, and most of my friends slapped me on their way by. Not my tubby buddy, though, so I knew I was still in ok shape.

The course was a narrow, twisty path through forest, so I could rarely see more than 30 feet in front of me. I kept trudging along at my own pace, and after a while I was completely alone. I figured I was somewhere in the medium-slow group, and that there were still plenty of people behind me who were moving slower than I was, including my fat friend. I was wrong. He had pulled out in the first few minutes with a leg injury, which is why I hadn't seen him. I was dead last. Everybody else had crossed the finish line, and they thought I was lost because I hadn't checked in yet. They sent a younger kid from my school out to find me, and he was the one who notified me that my race was already over and they needed me off so they could start the next one.

So, yeah, I am not much of a runner.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
In high school I signed up for competitive cross country running. I was completely out of shape (not fat, just flabby) and had no interest in running, but a bunch of my friends were doing it so I knew it would be fun (I also did tennis, cross-country skiing and grade 12 chemistry for the exact same reason).

Most of my friends (core group of about 6 guys) were pretty good athletes, but one of them was well over 200 pounds, so I didn't have to worry about being the weakest link. We ran together in practice, and I knew I could always keep pace with him.

Our first meet was a 10k run. I slammed a Red Bull before the race and got a very quick jump off the start. After the first thirty seconds or so, I was in the top ten. Then the adrenaline rush faded and people started passing me. My strides got smaller and smaller, and most of my friends slapped me on their way by. Not my tubby buddy, though, so I knew I was still in ok shape.

The course was a narrow, twisty path through forest, so I could rarely see more than 30 feet in front of me. I kept trudging along at my own pace, and after a while I was completely alone. I figured I was somewhere in the medium-slow group, and that there were still plenty of people behind me who were moving slower than I was, including my fat friend. I was wrong. He had pulled out in the first few minutes with a leg injury, which is why I hadn't seen him. I was dead last. Everybody else had crossed the finish line, and they thought I was lost because I hadn't checked in yet. They sent a younger kid from my school out to find me, and he was the one who notified me that my race was already over and they needed me off so they could start the next one.

So, yeah, I am not much of a runner.
Lol, that happened to me once. I got so nervous, I vomited during the race. Came in dead last. Not one of my best moments.

I also find running to be very boring. Left foot right foot left foot right foot over and over again. The lack of mental stimulation kills me.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l honesty hate running. Just seems unnatural for me. l do like speed walking with an mp3 player, l've walked all over this city and l would do it again.

My INTP friend was a runner, otherwise not very athletic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I run for my health but it's not an activity i relish or look especially forward to. Although I do enjoy feeling exhausted and the release of endorphins is delicious!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used to wander around the city a lot, a walking city, but I now live in a different city where that's pointless. So I started going to the gym and doing interval training on the treadmill, but never enjoyed it. I haven't done it in a while.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I run about a mile a day 3 or 4 days a week on a treadmill.

It's not one of my favorite activities. I am not sold on the benefits and risk-reward of running. I use it as warm-up or cool-down for resistance training at the gym.

There's the runner's high thing that kicks in (for me) after the first mile, but I don't relish that. I try to avoid it, in fact. I know too many other people who are running victims. They're mainly in their 30's and 40's. They kinda became addicted and ended up with fucked-up knees or feet.

Rather than going for distance, I would recommend intervals.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I try to run most days, skipping a day here and there. Lately it's been a bit sporadic because of health issues, but I'm trying to keep at it. I'm not really sure about the distance, but I usually run for 20-30 minutes.

I definitely enjoy it...I find the combination of running and listening to music to be a great way to do some thinking, and I find it physically and mentally invigorating, as well as being relaxing and a good stress-reliever. It's a great way to burn off some steam or wake me up if I'm feeling a bit low energy.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I don't run I strategize

But seriously, does freerunning count? I used to do that around hollywood, it was fun~

I usually just wore some customade bracers and shoes for the running, plot the course according to sociological data and tourist congestion data created by group of people for me and my group a long time ago <we didn't have a name, or I never paid attention to it>. After the run I'd be in some house passed out, most of the time not my own.

Honestly, I LOVED it, feeling the air when you jump off a building, seeing people's shocked faces when you survive said fall unscathed, other freerunners asking where I got my gear <A couple of my friends and I modified six six one equipment from my other friend's dirtbiking days, added some shock absorbers and kevlar and then some of those sticky things from wallets, then a long time later, I added some circuitry on the glove so it could also act like a taser [it broke a couple of hours later, I think the battery wiring got wet since I didn't seal the thing well due to time constraints ._.]>, and then I got taught how much impact my shoes actually absorbed, oops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't stand it - I prefer to get my exercise through hiking nature trails, dancing, swimming, and skiing. More things to look at, to hold my interest, and to give me a reason to keep going. Hiking aside, these sorts of activities also allow me to keep honing my technique, whereas running...Just one foot in front of the other. Treadmills are the worst.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love running. I'm in my schools Track and Field team. Our routine is basically the following Monday: 4-5 mile run on the track. Tuesday: Road Run across our town. Usually about 10 miles. Wednesday: Run 1 lap at out miles pace, to prepare for our meet the following day. Thursday: Do our event. Friday: Jog for 25 mins non stop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts