Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think so. And I don't want to. I've made a conscious effort to not be all the things that bothered me about my mother.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most certainly. I'm the living image of my mother until I open my mouth and let my father's inappropriate way of talking get out. I have just about all the bad sides of my parents inside me: my mother's death glare and lack of ability to show compassion, and my father's short fuse, loud voice, hopelessness, weird sense of humour and inability to remain serious where I really should be acting properly.

I honestly don't know if any of my good sides come from either of them. I'm not saying they're only negative, but right here and now I just can't think of anything in particular. I think I have a little bit of my mother's "I don't give a shit". :tongue:

As for principles, I like to believe I have my own, but I'm certain that some of my principles have been affected by my parents' at some point. I wish I could pinpoint it. I like to think for myself, though, and if either of them say something with which I disagree I usually just keep my mouth shut, because neither of them are any fun to debate with (my mother being stubborn and my father being childish).

Reactions: susurration

·
Registered
751 Posts
I strongly believe that both my parents are S types whilst I am an N yet I still manage to see parts of myself in them. My father's low self esteem and my mother's bad temper. I certainly do not see myself as an extension of them, they may look down upon me (I'm a bit of a black sheep of the family) but as I never open up to me I am sure there is more to me than they realise.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I do not see much of either of my parents in my behavior. I do not think or act like either of them.

However, I am a lot like my grandmother. I act like her, use her phrases and I have her artistic abilities.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Oh yeah -- how could I not? Everything I am is from them!

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Yeah there is no escaping that. Just try not to make the major mistakes they have made. Don't try not to be like them, not that you said you are, because then your whole life is going to be influenced by your parents to an even greater degree.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I was able to avoid most of their bad habits, luckily.

I have my mom's calm disposition and rationality. I don't freak out or have emotional outbursts over things or react emotionally. If somebody is wrong or being an idiot, I'm not afraid to correct them or tell them off.

From my dad, idk. My biological dad died when I was 11. From my stepdad, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I can do "high" and "low" intelligence humor, like my mother, and I'm cynical about politics like my father. They've painted me as an enigma really since I'm the middle child and I don't really act like either of them. My twin brother is just like my dad. My younger brothers are like my mother..my sister is like my dad. Not me, though. (There is resemblance though.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Physically, I'm the spitting image of my father, albeit a few shades darker.
Both my parents are stubborn, so I guess I got that from them.

I never really lived with my dad, but I do share many similarities with him. We're both uncomfortable in large family gatherings, and take steps to distance ourselves, we both have our own distinct sense of ethics that flies in the face of most people, we can't handle bullshit from people, and we both largely do what we're interested in regardless of what others say/think. Which is funny, because for the majority of my life I wanted to be nothing like my father (but this was just daddy issues talking).

Thankfully, I don't share to many traits with my mother: she's rather guillable, while I'm an eternal skeptic; she's controlling, while I let things happen; she can't seem to go for two hours without speaking to someone on the phone, while I can go days without speaking to anyone (and actually, I'd prefer life this way). I'm happy, because now I see I don't want to be anything like her. I see why my dad left her (though it sucks that he didn't get cutody of me and my brother).

·
Registered
308 Posts
I see a lot of my dad and his side of the family in general in myself. I like it, I'm proud of my family and who we are. I see more family characteristics appearing as I get older. My dad like's to joke that I'm turning into my grandmother. Regarding my mother on the other hand, the only things I seem to have in common with her are the resulting biological similarities of having developed from her egg. We're not very much alike at all, but I must mention it has no effect on my love for her: it's quite strong.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Yes. I have traits from both of them, and yet I am my own person. My dad and I have the same personality type (ISTP). I look like a female version of him, and I have a lot of his mannerisms (and his temper!). But I do have some of my mom's mannerisms too, her love of reading, her escapism. I'm stubborn as a mule, and both my parents are stubborn, too. But then, I'm a bit of a smart ass, which really is neither my mom or my dad.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I do have a lot in common with both of them. Well, more with my dad, but still. Dad and I both thrive on introspection, have a head for random bits of information, enjoy reading a bit more than the average person, are rational when it comes to others and painfully irrational to ourselves, hold ourselves to unhealthily high standards, seem to have a high self-esteem, but actually hove tons of issues with it, enjoy subtle humour, are idealistic underneath all the cynicism, would do anything for a friend... I can go on and on. I really am quite like him. <3

As for mother... I procrastinate like her, am gullible when it comes to people I'm attached to, am disorganised, often lose my temper, though I like to think I manage those outbursts better than she does.. I'm thankfully somewhat more mature and reliable, however. And considerate. And laid-back. And collected. Yeah, we're not much alike...

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Not a lot, personality-wise, but some mannerisms and expectations. It makes me sick.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I was adopted when I was an infant. I was in a foster home for the first three months of my life (to give my biological mother time to change her mind). I was fortunate to have been adopted by a wonderful family.

My parents had a child three years after adopting me. I never have had much in common with my mother or my sister - we disagree about almost everything. I think my father is an INTJ like me. We normally agree about things and see the world in a similar manner (aside from religion - I am a non-believer, and Dad is Catholic). I am more outspoken and less patient, though. lol

I always wondered about where my traits came from, because when considering nature vs nurture in my case nurture just wasn't explaining things.

I met my biological mother about 5 years ago. It explained SO much about me. In my case, nature definitely beat nurture. I am a lot like my biological mother, physically and mentally. I'm fascinated by how much we are alike, despite not having any contact whatsoever for 35 years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts