Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont think i've ever recognized an INFP, ever. My sis is an INFP and i know this because i made her take the test, otherwise i would have no clue that she was. Everyone that I've met have i have thought to be either ESTJs, ISTJs, ENTJs, ENFPs, ENTJs, or ISTPs.

INFPs are one of the most rare types, but i dont think its possible that i could have gone through life without meeting atleast one other person like me. I look at myself, and how i act towards strangers or colleagues, and if i was meeting myself, i wouldnt think i was an INFP either because i generally adapt to the other person's personality to become more like them.

I wouldn't want to show how emotional i am to situations, how spiritual i am (i've attempted to show my spiritual side to my close friends and they thought i was delusional...so i dont anymore) or show how depressed i am (when i get depressed i usually hide at home and people think im just plain flakey).

If this is true for many INFPs, and INFPs make up about 2% of the population, my hypothesis is that many of us will misjudge someone as a different personality type when they are infact an INFP, and maybe go through life never realizing all the INFPs we've overlooked. I get along a lot better with my sister now that i know she's an INFP, and i would love to meet other INFPs, if i coulld recognize them.

Do you guys hide your INFP traits from others, and put on a disguise as a different personality type? or do you show it?

also, since i feel very disconnected from other people, how an INFP reads others personality maybe ...flawed? since we're stuck in our head so much.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I show every aspect of me fully. I don't make a point to be forward with my behavior or personality but i certainly don't hide it.
if people don't like me, oh well. if they do, they usually end up my friend.

·
Registered
639 Posts
i can never know who is an INFP if i meet them, like one of my dearest friend i made him once do the test and i discovered he is an INFP i was happy and shocked because finally someone like me hehehehe

but in general i notice that i always try to meet others expectations in everything that i feel i am losing my self and not me anymore

·
Registered
73 Posts
oh yeah I definitely adapt myself though I'll know right away if someone's an S because I 'lll feel that it's much more difficult to relate to them!
and so no i doon't think I show my INFP although I do try because I think it's awesome if you can get along with other people whilst being completely true to youself!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
INFP's are great. They are the kind of people that you suddenly really 'discover' they're INFP after a long time. I've known one for more than a year now at school, but I just recently got to know her introverted feeling side. Came to appreciate her much more now...

As an ENFP I think I am much more confronting and assertive with my introverted feeling. Maybe it's because ENFP's can do that in a more persuasive manner (extraverted intuition as first function? awareness of hów saying something can possibly make someone react in a way?) than INFP's. What I know from them is that their occasional expressions seem much less confident and therefore a bit helpless... but beautiful anyway, if you're able to see that...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I do , my mom was bitching at me the other day about better communicating skillls, I just wanted to scream at her that "Im an INFP dammnit, I'm working on it!" but she dosn't lnow MBTI so i didn't.

·
Registered
232 Posts
oops dble post

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I do , my mom was bitching at me the other day about better communicating skillls, I just wanted to scream at her that "Im an INFP dammnit, I'm working on it!" but she dosn't lnow MBTI so i didn't.
INFP's are persecuted by their parents all the time. it sucks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I kind of go back and forth. I was actually thinking about this earlier tonight. A friend and I were driving around aimlessly after class, and a car drove by us and this girl asked for his number. So he pulled over into a parking lot and starting talking with them. Here I am thinking "O shit." But I actually joined in on some of the conversation. With people I had never met before. That was very out of character for me obviously.

I would say it really depends on what kind of mood I'm in. There are times when I am quite comfortable with groups of people, especially when I know them well and like them. But most of the time, I'm quiet and reserved. I'm certain there have been times when people have seen me and thought, that kid is an INFP.(like the other night when I was walking around my neighborhood at three in the morning looking up at the moon)

I am also very emotional, and although I don't feel comfortable showing it, there are times when I can't keep it in any longer and I'm sure I make my friends uncomfortable. I also tend to say things that others consider strange. Like "Wow that was the most beautiful movie I've ever seen." Or "How incredible is it that everything is just so..connected?". So yes, there are times when my INFP is showing :happy:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I often go for walks at night, wondering aimlessly, while looking up:laughing:

Reactions: Shaneus

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think its pretty obvious, but then, some people misinterpret my INFPness for something else altogether, or want me to change it somehow or be someone I am not. It disappoints me, when that happens. I like my INFPness to show! I am not ashamed!

4,757 Posts
I often go for walks at night, wondering aimlessly, while looking up:laughing:
Same. I also do that during the day and people must think I'm completely stoned or something - especially because of the big smile I have on my face.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm pretty good at picking out other infps, and if I have at least a 5 minute interaction with them I can be fully certain.

I had a very good friend earlier in life move away to the other side of the country, we wound up losing touch with each other for over a decade. In the space between... as I learned more about mbti and keirsey, it dawned on me that he was also an infp.

Out of the blue one day a couple of years ago, I received a call from him and he had moved back, the first time we hung out he remarked that it was like no time had passed, we had just picked up where we had left off, I said to him well we're both infps, we have a lot of similarities. He said what the heck is an infp? and I laid it out and said... since I know you don't like being typecast or slotted in a hole, do the test on your own and see for yourself. A week later he came back with a wild eyed look and said crap I am an infp is that really bad, because it sort of sounds like it when I read the description. I had to laugh at that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm pretty good at picking out other infps, and if I have at least a 5 minute interaction with them I can be fully certain. .
Tell me how! I mean, the initial bit... I'm sure I could find out after a five minute convo as well, but it's getting that initial inkling that I'd love to know how to do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts