Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about this, so since we're not F, we are considered as "emotionless" so how the Hell could an INTJ sing? (other than in the shower or singing alone).
Personally, I sing.
I don't feel what other people describe while singing neither express that childbirth face. When it's high notes, I feel blissful and as if I'm not on ground anymore, and when it's random pitch, I just enjoy the singing nothing more. BUT people feel good while listening me.
My question, how can an emotionless person move someone?!

·
Banned
221 Posts
First and foremost I think it's a misconception that art requires an overwhelming source of emotion to be any good. All it truly requires is a degree of discipline for mastery and creativity so far as producing it.

I don't sing but I can relate to what you're saying. I play the piano pretty well.

I don't feel any intense emotion while playing. However the times that I was forced to play for an audience, I would look out at them, and I could tell that they were feeling intense emotion by their facial expressions and actions.

This is just my own opinion but at the end of the day I don't think the arts and sciences are all that different from each other. Both are attempts at bringing abstract forms of thinking into reality, and often times both involve copious amounts of experimentation. So I gain the same enjoyment out of quenching my curiosity as I do with playing the piano, developing chord progressions, drawing, or any other right brained activity that I'm good at.

I also take a very Ni-Te approach to art as well and this may sound arrogant..lol but I think I'm better than a lot of feelers, or at least the ones that I know personally and that are involved in the same mediums as me.

Anyways to answer your question, I don't think it's a case of an unemotional person moving emotional people, it's your art (singing) that is moving them. And as I already stated you don't have to be an overflowing ocean of emotion to be good at it or 'move' people.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@aizen True about the technique mastering idea, however at some points you can't neglect that arts can move you. For instance, REVERIE by Debussy, doesn't it isolate you and aspirates you into a dreamy space crowded with a chain of notes of the melody or I don't know an especial feeling? I guess, maybe WHILE we're doing the singing or playing piano we can't feel this but while listening we can? o_O

And I get your idea, lol feeler singing people actually get pissed of me because I care about singing right, but they care more about additional stuff that effect on the full package and minimize the needed result.

·
Banned
221 Posts
@aizen True about the technique mastering idea, however at some points you can't neglect that arts can move you. For instance, REVERIE by Debussy, doesn't it isolate you and aspirates you into a dreamy space crowded with a chain of notes of the melody or I don't know an especial feeling? I guess, maybe WHILE we're doing the singing or playing piano we can't feel this but while listening we can? o_O
To me that isn't emotion however. Whether I'm playing or listening to something, it's indulgence of my Ni.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My ISTJ friend has a tendency to use nostalgia to emotionally captivate others. My INTP is probably the one least likely to lean on emotion to draw in an audience, but when she does it's because she's linked her art through some current or historical event, like the Japanese Tsunamis of 2011. She's also bizarrely good at blending emotion, making her art seem both sad and happy at the same time without overcrowding or under-shadowing either. ISTP tends to use pure aesthetics, so she concentrates on the look of pure pain or agony on someones face to draw out empathy from those viewing it.

My INFP friend draws back on her own experiences, usually, although she's also really good at finding beauty in unique places that a lot of us overlook. The world is literally her oyster (my INTP as well, it seems common with Ne). The ENFJ tends to make happy things, which is actually quite rare in art as it seems to thrive on sadness, but she certainly succeeds in making people feel good about themselves. I tend to use motifs, symbolism, space, and more focused parallels/analogies than my INxP partners.

So yes, it has far less to do about Feeling or Thinking, but more to do with your primary and secondary functions; you utilize what you know. My INFP friend uses Fi in her art because she's a Fi user. I use Ni, INTP uses Ne, ISTJ uses Si, etc. 'Feeling' does not have a monopoly on the ability to appeal to others emotionally, at least not when it comes to art (which singing arguably is).

But to not deviate away, I sing. I was in choir in middle school both years, high school for all four years and I'm in choir now at the University. Singing is not related to MBTI, I would imagine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Music is a private pursuit of mine. I find it ideal for releasing stress, and it's a way to indulge inferior Se in a healthy way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heck yeah I sing, and I love it. It's more of a personal preference than a personality induced thing. INTJ's have emotions, they're just so internally focused nobody ever sees them, and they don't have an impact on most we do.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
No.

I possess no singing ability, and I'm aware of what my strengths are and are not. Consequently, I do not delude myself into thinking I can do what I cannot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I thought about this, so since we're not F, we are considered as "emotionless" so how the Hell could an INTJ sing? (other than in the shower or singing alone).
Personally, I sing.
I don't feel what other people describe while singing neither express that childbirth face. When it's high notes, I feel blissful and as if I'm not on ground anymore, and when it's random pitch, I just enjoy the singing nothing more. BUT people feel good while listening me.
My question, how can an emotionless person move someone?!
I like to sing, but it doesn't move anyone. I think its because we are harder to move. Just because we don't move ourselves doesn't mean we don't move others. Why don't you start a new thread on how INTJs art? It's also a form of expressing, and as I see, many INTJs are in to art, including myself.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heck yeah I sing, and I love it. It's more of a personal preference than a personality induced thing. INTJ's have emotions, they're just so internally focused nobody ever sees them, and they don't have an impact on most we do.
Well whatever happens, never stop singing. It's scientifically proven that when you sing, your brain (I think it was dopamine) chemicals increase so they make you feel good + help you to relax (if your adrenalin gets high that that's an other case).

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like to sing, but it doesn't move anyone. I think its because we are harder to move. Just because we don't move ourselves doesn't mean we don't move others. Why don't you start a new thread on how INTJs art? It's also a form of expressing, and as I see, many INTJs are in to art, including myself.
Mmmh, I'll make one now and be sure almost everyone will compare it to science.
And yeah, I've noticed, and in the MBTI thing you can be an artist if you're an F o_O which I don't agree with.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I sing. I love to sing, I do it all the time. It's something I'm actually rather good at, and though I harshly criticize myself for making the smallest of mistakes, people tell me they love to hear my voice. I take it as an immense compliment. And as for feeling things while singing, that's not really how I go about it, unless I'm acting out the song at the same time and need to channel that emotion into my voice. In that case, I have to either pretend that whatever I'm singing about actually happened to me, or ask myself how one is supposed to convey that emotion and imitate that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts