Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Not really, I mean it feels good at the time, but it's pointless... You awaken from a delirium, clutching a pillow and babbling to yourself, thinking "I could totally be accomplishing something right now".

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I can spend hours each day just listening to music that makes me feel. Song after song, making me feel, making me cry, making me dance. It's so difficult sometimes to concentrate on anything else so I just indulge myself in emotion.

Anyone else do this?
Yes, all the time. I feel like listening to music and feeling things is the main thing I do in life. For me, music has such crazily strong emotional associations and memories attached to it...

I have a love/hate relationship with the fact that I do that so much; the "feeling" part makes me feel so alive, but it also means that I live in the past most of the time and am very depressed. I've put on my headphones to listen to something and then curled up and bawled my eyes out, feeling like someone's kicking me in the stomach and wanting to die (no, I'm not exaggerating) too many times to count. It's kind of unfortunate that so much of my favourite music is so very triggering for me...

Of course, sometimes certain music can makes me happy as well. Sometimes... haha. When it does, I feel like running down the street singing at the top of my lungs. :p

Edit: I also have terrible concentration problems. It makes me kind of sad; I was the nerdy seven-year-old kid who could get lost in a lengthy book meant for someone much older than myself for three hours at a time... and now I'm a 27-year-old with the attention span of a fly, who struggles to get through a dozen pages without throwing a book across the room in frustration. Probably depression-related, I guess. So yeah, I just choose to feel stuff a lot of the time these days... rather than do anything. Well, I alternate between triggering my feelings and numbing them with very unhealthy coping mechanisms... but that's another story for another time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes i can do this but try not to too often or i get nothing done. Indulging myself in emotions can end up in me getting stuck in them and then it's difficult to get out again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do this sometimes to reflect on an event of great signifigance in my life i like dwelling on the moment and realising its meaning. Then i move on but come away with a new perspective.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I do this all the time! I'm such a glutton for emotions -both good and bad. Nothing like lying down listening to the rain, and being alone with your thoughts and feelings. Most people think I'm sleeping because I usually close my eyes, but it's better that way because then they won't try to talk to me and intterput my grand insights.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Not for hours, but once every other night approximately (I don't have a set routine) I like to gaze out of my bedroom window for half an hour to an hour before I go to bed to swim in my ocean of thoughts. The view may stink but hey ho.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,319 Posts
not really....it sounds exhausting. I do enjoy emotions, but the majority of the time I feel reltively neutral, well....generally positive, content, happy/calm, but my active attention is usually focused on thoughts/ideas rather than emotions. Although I do enjoy indulging in feeling cuddly. I spend extra time laying snuggled up in bed just imagining cuddly scenes with made up characters in my head - I love that feeling of safety and emotional warmth. Other than that though, I just take emotions as they happen to come up. If it's a good feeling I'll focus on it and do what I can to make it linger, if it's a bad feeling I'll do what I can to counteract it. In general I try to focus on thoughts and do things that I know will bring about good emotions in myself, but it's more like a background soundtrack a lot of the time, rather than conscious intentional indulging in feelings. ...yeah, feelings, even good ones, can be kind of tiring, I like my normal contented state.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't intentionally set time aside for this because honestly, I'm scared of how powerful my emotions are and anything can trigger a "feel" as ragecomic creators would put it, so yeah.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I do it's usually a disaster. It becomes very hard to transition back into the "real" world, sensual stimulus becomes overwhelming, and my emotions become a toxic swamp. If I let myself go this way, then it will be at least 2 or 3 days before I can function again without intense self absorption/consciousness.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I used to do this a lot when I was younger and mostly when I was moderately depressed. If I was feeling crappy I'd look for others who had felt that exact same way-usually through music, poetry or movies- and I'd try to intensify it. I'd spend hours and hours just feeling it. Then when things got really bad and I became suicidal I had to stop...for obvious reasons. The focus then became more anger based and projecting onto the world, which felt oddly good.

Now I don't let myself indulge as much. I set aside my "me time" where I can do this, but after that I drag myself back to reality where I have to deal with my day to day obligations and relationships. I prefer this because I do get sick of my own misery and it's nice to have the distraction.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can spend hours each day just listening to music that makes me feel. Song after song, making me feel, making me cry, making me dance. It's so difficult sometimes to concentrate on anything else so I just indulge myself in emotion.

Anyone else do this?
You manage your lows by managing your highs, my friend. MANAGE THAT SHIT. (But every once in a while a feeling jamboree can be pretty cool, so right on)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts