Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sort of wondering if this is a common aspect for an ENTJ. Now with vainty I sort of allow it to expand to a larger generalization. Do you take too much pride in your work? Achievements? Facial/body features?

Reason is, is because I've tried analyzing myself and seeing why I'm sort of self obsessed. I constantly take care of my face and how people perceive my person. I sometimes feel too manipulative around groups of people because a lot of people don't know how I actually am. It's like I have multiple images to show of myself and they are the only ones that keep/empower myself above/ahead of people. And when I finally reach whatever my scheming has been intended to accomplish I take way, way too much pride into it. To points I scare myself. .__.

I always have to be involved in any sort of conversation or plan. Whether it's backstage or the frontal leader I have to be in charge in whatever task or social structure it is. When my friends don't involve me or in workplaces I wasn't considered for something I think "Well why didn't they think of me? I'M could far excel that person."

And I feel terrible about it.(?) :D

I guess I'm having a problem between defining myself from ambition and greed. :l

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I was sort of wondering if this is a common aspect for an ENTJ. Now with vainty I sort of allow it to expand to a larger generalization. Do you take too much pride in your work? Achievements? Facial/body features?

Reason is, is because I've tried analyzing myself and seeing why I'm sort of self obsessed. I constantly take care of my face and how people perceive my person. I sometimes feel too manipulative around groups of people because a lot of people don't know how I actually am. It's like I have multiple images to show of myself and they are the only ones that keep/empower myself above/ahead of people. And when I finally reach whatever my scheming has been intended to accomplish I take way, way too much pride into it. To points I scare myself. .__.

I always have to be involved in any sort of conversation or plan. Whether it's backstage or the frontal leader I have to be in charge in whatever task or social structure it is. When my friends don't involve me or in workplaces I wasn't considered for something I think "Well why didn't they think of me? I'M could far excel that person."

And I feel terrible about it.(?) :D

I guess I'm having a problem between defining myself from ambition and greed. :l

I'm extremely vain and proud. But not in the way that you are describing. I just really like myself, a whole lot. And my family - I take a lot of pride in my kids and husband, also. I dont really have to be in charge or anything. I'm not greedy. I'm fairly good at sharing the spotlight. I don't even care if everyone hates me. I just like myself a little too much. What can I say other than its true. I handle constructive cristism well, though.

I view vain as over self confidence kind of.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Do you think it could be a weak Fi? Inferior Fi is a whole different animal than dominant or auxiliary Fi. It becomes a lot more about emotions when it's an inferior function. This article is really interesting regarding inferior Fi in dominant Te types...

The Form of the Inferior - ETJs

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Do you think it could be a weak Fi? Inferior Fi is a whole different animal than dominant or auxiliary Fi. It becomes a lot more about emotions when it's an inferior function. This article is really interesting regarding inferior Fi in dominant Te types...

The Form of the Inferior - ETJs
Oddly enough, I related to alot of what was said in that link. While my Fi isn't inferior like an ENTJs, I don't think its as strong as it might be for other ENFPs.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Oddly enough, I related to alot of what was said in that link. While my Fi isn't inferior like an ENTJs, I don't think its as strong as it might be for other ENFPs.
Here's the Te portion of an article I found. It seems when ENFP's get into a Ne Te loop, they have outbursts of anger and emotion...

"As time passes and maturity develops, the ENFP must come to terms with his need for constant freedom to change external conditions at any given time. Often, tertiary Te is responsible for helping the ENFP develop a sense of structure and organized progression to his life. As he thrives on exploring new contexts, the ENFP with poor Te may feel fulfilled while he is directly engaged in pursuits he enjoys, but he may also have difficulty building any high level of skill in any one particular area, and will likely lack the planning and organizational ability to develop his passions into productive or profitable pursuits. Because starting a new project is often so much more exciting (after all, it holds the optimistic hope of unknown possibilities, where Ne feels most at home) than following through and completing projects already begun, poor Te development may result in some rather blatant procrastination issues. While healthy ExxP types tend to maintain fairly high energy levels, poorly developed or depressed ExxPs will have extreme difficulty even starting on unpleasant or uninteresting tasks. Te development is responsible for a shift in perspective toward the value in objective measurement and evaluation, out of the scope of the personalized value judgments in which Fi specializes.

While young ENFPs may often lack direction or consistent attention to detail earlier in life, the introduction of tertiary Te begins to produce the realization that, simply put, not everything can be turned into play time--and although we should choose our careers around that which we find fulfilling, we also must learn to put up with some uninteresting activities and press forward in the name of realistic results. When applied tastefully and in balance with Ne and Fi, tertiary Te will grant the ENFP some unexpected leadership abilities: willing to experiment with different ideas, but with an eye on the creation and scheduled completion of realistic steps. Te should, ideally, assist Ne in the realization of its visions for the future: by thinking concretely about the necessary procedures and the (sometimes externally imposed!) judgments of those in positions of authority, the ENFP will find he can, occasionally, set aside his personal feelings aside in favor of getting more important matters under control. Bearing a realistic agenda with measurable checkpoints for tangible progress, Te creates a (sometimes sorely missed) sense of the realities of how business is handled in a self-interested world.

If Fi is, for some reason, poorly developed, NeTe may create an unpredictable and volatile personality torn between desire for admiration of his creative expressions and a need to uphold and enforce objective order on the world around him. One of the best examples of "NeTe loop" that I can think of is Steve Carrell's character on the American version of The Office--deathly desirous of the approval and adulation of his employees (Ne), he snaps abruptly into Te mode and begins barking orders and criticisms whenever his attempts to reach out for personal connections (Fi) are rejected. As a defense mechanism against feelings of being personally attacked, Te takes the opportunity to remind everyone of his objectively enforceable authority ("The Boss") in order to make others feel as belittled as he does by what he sees as their deliberate and inhumane rejection of the value of his personal identity. Later, Ne reminds him that he's not going to get anyone to like him with that sort of behavior, and Fi feels bad for upsetting people--it knows all too well what that feels like--but he's not getting the kind of validation that an ENFP thrives on, so his Fi is forced to hide behind an angry, exaggerated Te mask."

Source: From "ENFP a Jungian Conitive Fuction Analysis" by simulatedworld

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Do you suffer from vanity?

No, I enjoy every minute of it.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
@Enfpleasantly

If Fi is, for some reason, poorly developed, NeTe may create an unpredictable and volatile personality torn between desire for admiration of his creative expressions and a need to uphold and enforce objective order on the world around him. One of the best examples of "NeTe loop" that I can think of is Steve Carrell's character on the American version of The Office--deathly desirous of the approval and adulation of his employees (Ne), he snaps abruptly into Te mode and begins barking orders and criticisms whenever his attempts to reach out for personal connections (Fi) are rejected. As a defense mechanism against feelings of being personally attacked, Te takes the opportunity to remind everyone of his objectively enforceable authority ("The Boss") in order to make others feel as belittled as he does by what he sees as their deliberate and inhumane rejection of the value of his personal identity. Later, Ne reminds him that he's not going to get anyone to like him with that sort of behavior, and Fi feels bad for upsetting people--it knows all too well what that feels like--but he's not getting the kind of validation that an ENFP thrives on, so his Fi is forced to hide behind an angry, exaggerated Te mask."

I was like this from 18-21. But as SOM mentioned, I was using Te like and Fi auxiliary user would. I can still get into this Ne Te funk which is why I spend most of my time alone.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Do you take too much pride in your work?

I don't think so. I take pride when I know I've worked hard and have honestly achieved my accomplishments.

Achievements?

Somewhat. If it's something I really wanted and strived for, then I will find pride. I do not like to brag though, so I only let the people I love know if I feel it's very important to me.

Facial/body features?

I put a lot of effort in keeping myself looking healthy. In that, I've learned to accept and cherish the body that I have and to put my health first... because it's important for my survival. I'm honestly more proud to show off my toned calves and arms because I put a lot of time, sweat, blood, and tears into challenging my physique past it's abilities. I don't love myself to the point where I believe I'm a 'blessing to the world' or that 'I deserve everything'. There needs to be a balance between pride and humbleness.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you take too much pride in your work?

I don' think so... sometimes I think "wow~ I don't mind that~" But mostly I think
"I could have done better~!!" Maybe I'm just lazy at school, but even the stuff I enjoy and put effort into, I still think I could improve it, or it jsut looks dodgy, or there's something not quite right...

Achievements?
With acheievements I usually feel that I didn't really derseve them~ Like "How did this happen~??"
I feel like maybe I don't work hard enough on stuff~??
Honestly, half the time I think it's due to help I got from others, if I achieve somehting on my own, I feel happy when others compliment it, esepcially if I don't know them, or if it seems really sincere~
I feel like I get help with stuff too much, and then I can't tell what I've acheived by myself...

Facial/body features?

I sometimes become a little obsessive over it, but I think I'm a bit lazy to do much (like exercise... so much effort *sighs*)
I put moisteriser on my face everyday, and sometimes I just stare at my face in the mirror for ages and think 'how could I improve this~??" HOwever, I try and do the same thing for my personality, but it's difficult~
Sometimes I'll look at the face of a celebrity I find attractive, and think~ what's the difference between her face and mine, and what can I change easily~??
Waaay to much obsession~ ~>~<
Also, I always try and change myself, so of course I'll add in my physical factors~

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Suffer from how great I am? Never.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
4w3. I mean, hello, vanity is what I do best!
Project an image that doesn't at all correlate with how I truly feel about the state of things.

This character from 30 Rock accurately describes how I am around... normal people.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am quite secure in my superiority, but usually I keep it to myself.

I loathe bragging, and find people who brag and talk about how good they are to be generally pathetic and insecure.

It might be a cultural thing. Where I come from, it's considered very bad manners to speak too well of yourself. Instead, you're supposed to shoot yourself down a bit if someone tells you you're good. This selflessness contrasts quite violently with what I've seen of american culture, which I perceive as egocentric and bombastic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts