Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite self-explanatory... do you?

I actually talk about it with my INFP friend who took it in the same class as me sometimes. She told me she thought I was an ENTP, and I told her I didn't think so but anyway, that's not the point...

Back on topic, in real life, what are your MBTI conversations like, if any?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep! I talk about MBTI with a few friends occasionally.

"Oh, so you're an INTJ?"
"Yeah, evil scientist. That's me. All of my friends are some variation of INTJ as well."
"Cute! :D"

Usually like that... :p

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
A couple years ago some friends/housemates and I got into it for like a week and we'd be like, "Oh. You are such an ENTJ," when the ENTJ would be making us schedules for things. Or, "I'm only telling you this because as an ESFJ I think it's important."

It was all very silly and shallow and lighthearted. We still do it occasionally because it makes us laugh and we're stupid about it. Most of my real life friends at least know very very basic MBTI because they got pulled into that whole nonsense a couple years ago.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just talked to my aunt & a friend tonight about it...I was like "I'm an ENFP" and they wanted to know what that meant, and I was like "E stands for extroverted, which i know is kinda shocking," and they just laughed when I said that.

I'm really interested in knowing what my aunt is (she's allergic to shyness, always talks about how outgoing her kids are (they aren't), and is one of those people who describes herself in ways that are totally opposite of who she really is...but she has good intentions and is quite sensitive)...i think she's an xSFx?

I want everyone I know to take the test. Seriously.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I've talked to a family friend, my dad and my Aunt about it, and a few people who were interesting in knowing what an ''ENFP'' were, but apart from that, not really. I've found Meyer Briggs to be bad for my social skills, because I now try to fit people into squares and understand their behaviour, instead of just accepting them as an individual. Its easy to give people I don't like opposing functions, because *they couldn't possible be as wonderful as me*. I need to push Meyer Briggs back where it belongs, with things like Birth Order etc... it describes how someone is to an extent, but it doesn't define them, or explain everything. There are six billion + people on Earth, and we are all individuals, and should be treated as such. This is something I need to learn.

·
Banned
3 Posts
OHH yesss

Me and my lovely boyfriend talk about MBTI all the time. We try to type our friends and people we just meet and have to be around. It's super fun in my opinion to try to understand other people and why they are the way that they are.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I don't have anyone in my life who is knowledgeable enough. My NJ family will humour me but they haven't done the leg work like I have. My ENFP fiance, who is also an E4, is highly averse to being "put in a box."

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A couple years ago some friends/housemates and I got into it for like a week and we'd be like, "Oh. You are such an ENTJ," when the ENTJ would be making us schedules for things. Or, "I'm only telling you this because as an ESFJ I think it's important."

It was all very silly and shallow and lighthearted. We still do it occasionally because it makes us laugh and we're stupid about it. Most of my real life friends at least know very very basic MBTI because they got pulled into that whole nonsense a couple years ago.
Yes, I relate to this. I talked about my art class with my INFP friend and I said:

"Yeah, I hate our art teacher. She starts random projects our of no where and by the time we get back to our original projects, we don't even remember the tasks."

She laughed and said:
"Yeah, but you're an ENFP, aren't you? Isn't that how they roll? Starting random projects and crap? You sure you're not an ENFJ?"

It was kind of funny actually.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yes.. Wait!!! This isn't the real world?
Okay.. Yeah.. My little circle of friends that I hang out with the most.
We all know our types.. ENFP (me), ENFP (girl), ENFP (guy), ENFJ (girl), INFP (guy).
We've talked about all sorts of randomness.. Like, during church one day, I type some of the top influences in my life.
1.My father: Like it or not, he's my father, he's been an influence.
2.My pastor: ExFP (possibly leaning towards ESFP).. But he's not silly/retarded like what some people think of ESFPs.
3.My youth pastor (the pastor's son): INTP.. He's a total thinker. He's always reading advanced philosophical stuff from anywhere from the Greek philosophers to Blaise Pascal and Soren Kierkegaard. He'd potentially be an INTJ, but he's SO disorganized he can't even pick out his own outfits.. He was so miserable when he was out on a trip without his wife.. lol
4.Morris, an elderly gentleman: ENFJ He went to our YOUTH group, because he preferred the atmosphere.. He would walk around and tell each and every person how special they are.. He was AWESOME. :D he was the nicest guy ever. I miss him.
5.Nikola Tesla: INTJ, I've seen a lot of arguments about his typing, a lot of people think he's an INTP.. But I believe he's an INTJ, because he's an introverted intuitive thinker, who was very reclusive, and VERY VERY OCD, weird compulsions.. He really only came out to display his new amazing inventions. Also, his best friend was Mark Twain, who was said to be an ENFP.. INTJ ENFP friendship!
6.Leonardo Da Vinci: ENFP.. WHAT? yes, he was an ENFP! A lot of people type as something else, but ENFPs CAN BE INVENTORS! And he was so much more than an inventor! I can relate to him, so much! He was an Inventor/artist/musician/etc, here's a clip from a page about him. Tell me if you think ENFP.
"Leonardo da Vinci was described by his early biographers as a man with great personal appeal, kindness, and generosity. He was generally well-loved by his contemporaries.
According to Vasari, "Leonardo's disposition was so lovable that he commanded everyone's affection". He was "a sparkling conversationalist" who charmed Ludovico il Moro with his wit. Vasari sums him up by saying "In appearance he was striking and handsome, and his magnificent presence brought comfort to the most troubled soul; he was so persuasive that he could bend other people to his will." And here's where he's a Perceiver: Giorgio Vasari says of the child Leonardo "He would have been very proficient in his early lessons, if he had not been so volatile and flexible; for he was always setting himself to learn a multitude of things, most of which were shortly abandoned. When he began the study of arithmetic, he made, within a few months, such remarkable progress that he could baffle his master with the questions and problems that he raised… All the time, through all his other enterprises, Leonardo never ceased drawing…"

7.Steve Jobs: I/ENTP: No matter, he was a genius.. I've been a mac user since I was 3, on a Macintosh Performa. His brilliance is an inspires me to invent new technology.

Honourable mention: Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne (movies versions): ENTP and I'd guess INTP for Wayne. What can I say.. Inventors, real or fictional, are an inspiration to me. Though Stark is probably more of an inspiration, because he has a WAY better personality.. Especially since Stark is played by Robert Downey Jr, a nice ENFP actor... One of my favorites!

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
I sometimes think it is easier to type by enneagram than it is by mbti.

If you get to type enough people who are all different in their own way, I think you'll find there's more to personality than just that. This all made more sense when I tied it into enneagram and mbti.

I try not to indulge in it too much and use it more for understanding potential pitfalls in myself.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I try to type nearly everyone I meet, and often ask people if they've ever taken the test a few minutes into conversation. I'm sure most of my friends are sick of talking about it, but the core of my friends talk about it a LOT, especially cognitive function theory. We need lives. Please help. Send donations to...

·
Banned
613 Posts
Yes.. Wait!!! This isn't the real world?
Okay.. Yeah.. My little circle of friends that I hang out with the most.
We all know our types.. ENFP (me), ENFP (girl), ENFP (guy), ENFJ (girl), INFP (guy).
We've talked about all sorts of randomness.. Like, during church one day, I type some of the top influences in my life.
1.My father: Like it or not, he's my father, he's been an influence.
2.My pastor: ExFP (possibly leaning towards ESFP).. But he's not silly/retarded like what some people think of ESFPs.
3.My youth pastor (the pastor's son): INTP.. He's a total thinker. He's always reading advanced philosophical stuff from anywhere from the Greek philosophers to Blaise Pascal and Soren Kierkegaard. He'd potentially be an INTJ, but he's SO disorganized he can't even pick out his own outfits.. He was so miserable when he was out on a trip without his wife.. lol
4.Morris, an elderly gentleman: ENFJ He went to our YOUTH group, because he preferred the atmosphere.. He would walk around and tell each and every person how special they are.. He was AWESOME. :D he was the nicest guy ever. I miss him.
5.Nikola Tesla: INTJ, I've seen a lot of arguments about his typing, a lot of people think he's an INTP.. But I believe he's an INTJ, because he's an introverted intuitive thinker, who was very reclusive, and VERY VERY OCD, weird compulsions.. He really only came out to display his new amazing inventions. Also, his best friend was Mark Twain, who was said to be an ENFP.. INTJ ENFP friendship!
6.Leonardo Da Vinci: ENFP.. WHAT? yes, he was an ENFP! A lot of people type as something else, but ENFPs CAN BE INVENTORS! And he was so much more than an inventor! I can relate to him, so much! He was an Inventor/artist/musician/etc, here's a clip from a page about him. Tell me if you think ENFP.
"Leonardo da Vinci was described by his early biographers as a man with great personal appeal, kindness, and generosity. He was generally well-loved by his contemporaries.
According to Vasari, "Leonardo's disposition was so lovable that he commanded everyone's affection". He was "a sparkling conversationalist" who charmed Ludovico il Moro with his wit. Vasari sums him up by saying "In appearance he was striking and handsome, and his magnificent presence brought comfort to the most troubled soul; he was so persuasive that he could bend other people to his will." And here's where he's a Perceiver: Giorgio Vasari says of the child Leonardo "He would have been very proficient in his early lessons, if he had not been so volatile and flexible; for he was always setting himself to learn a multitude of things, most of which were shortly abandoned. When he began the study of arithmetic, he made, within a few months, such remarkable progress that he could baffle his master with the questions and problems that he raised… All the time, through all his other enterprises, Leonardo never ceased drawing…"

7.Steve Jobs: I/ENTP: No matter, he was a genius.. I've been a mac user since I was 3, on a Macintosh Performa. His brilliance is an inspires me to invent new technology.

Honourable mention: Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne (movies versions): ENTP and I'd guess INTP for Wayne. What can I say.. Inventors, real or fictional, are an inspiration to me. Though Stark is probably more of an inspiration, because he has a WAY better personality.. Especially since Stark is played by Robert Downey Jr, a nice ENFP actor... One of my favorites!
Definitely ENFPs can be inventors, and many would mistake me for an ENFP. BTW Robert Downey Jr is listed as ENTP here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I try to type nearly everyone I meet
Me too. Its just so fun to observe people in this way.

I don't normally bring MBTI into conversation when people don't know about it.

This is how I talk MBTI:
I talk about it immensely with my INFP brother, because he's also into it. We get along very well with our Ne, and share the P, some of our Fi values clash though. We both get annoyed by strong S and J preference people and we tend to bring it up quite often (because these people are abundant).

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Definitely ENFPs can be inventors, and many would mistake me for an ENFP. BTW Robert Downey Jr is listed as ENTP here.
I always thought RD Jr would be an ENTP, because he so frequently plays ENTPs.. But I read a few places that outside of acting, he's a really kind ENFP.. Of course, I put off checking that out for myself. lol I have noticed, though.. There are a lot of websites that have painfully wrong typing on certain people.
CelebrityTypes also types Da Vinci as an INTP, but he was considered to be: Charming, comforting, kind, generous, in general I read him as an extrovert.
And also I'd put him as a feeler.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts