Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My significant other is convinced that my disconnected talking as I wake up or when I'm about to fall asleep is extremely abnormal, and I think that although it isn't the most common thing, that it's still pretty common. I would like to know whether you have these experiences or similar ones, or if you have friends or family that do.

Here's what happens to me: If I'm extremely exhausted and I'm laying down in bed partially drifting off into sleep, or if I've just been sleeping and I'm woken up while really tired (usually in the middle of the night), I won't be fully alert and will instead say weird disconnected things. I was woken up in my sleep last night as she informed me that the room was really hot, to which I replied in a disconnected fashion, "I'll switch ... the outcome". Prior to that, however, she shuffled around and I seemed to make indistinguishable noises in my sleep. When she asked me something, I responded with "Colored people.. the Atlantic slave trade.." and I seemed to be very disgusted. I do things like this when I'm really exhausted and still partially in a dream-like state. Other times, when I'm really exhausted and fighting to stay up, I sometimes have difficulty controlling my limbs in a fine motor-control type of way, and I instead am more jerky in my movements. I don't think this is abnormal, but, you tell me.

Have you had experiences like this, or do you know someone who has?

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I apparently do multiple things at random occasions, like walking and sleep texting.
Apparently I learned how to turn off alarms in my sleep too, even ones requiring passwords.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Sure, I talk a lot apparently. I say things like "I hurt myself", for some reason. One of my friends told me that we even had some kind of conversation together one night when I had just fallen asleep, but I do not remember any of it.

Reactions: Loaf

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
I'm as still and quiet as a rock. One of my brothers talks though, the other one walks and talks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That actually sounds really similar to what I do. I have been notorious for talking in my sleep, ever since I was a small child.
Recently, my sister told me that, as she was going to bed, I shot up and said "I could start an MBTI blog if I had the dedication!".
I will also say some really peculiar/out of context things if I get woken up from deep sleep. Most of the time, that happens because whatever dream I am having is sort of still going as I am in that "half awake state".
In regards to motor control, it depends on how tired I am.

Reactions: Clyme

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
When I was a weird, awkward little girl who barely ever talked in front of people other than my parents and never even talked to any of my schoolmates and just sat around my house staring curiously at everything and making ideas up for various things, I apparently talked to myself a lot, especially in the middle of the night. Although I believe I was awake during this period of time.

Reactions: Ihatepeople

·
MOTM June 2015
4,393 Posts
My husband does this. It can be quite funny sometimes, because the things he says often don't make sense to me.
I often fall asleep with my glasses on, and my husband will sometimes take them off and lay them on the stand beside the bed. I remember one time being awake and he raised his hand towards the night stand and seemed to be laying something on it. He didn't have anything in his hand. I said, "what are you doing?" He said putting your glasses up. I started giggling and he woke up and had absolutely no memory of telling me he was putting my glasses up. We have even had 2 or 3 sentence nonsensical conversations before he woke up and realized he was conversing in his sleep. These type of conversations(when he's half asleep) are usually very silly but funny.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
I remember being woken up this morning and talking to my husfiend about how he's the tabletop of a three-legged table.

I have no idea what I was going on about.

Anyway, I do this all the time. It's normal in my case, at least.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can't say I agree with her definition of abnormal behavior. It might be unusual at best.. anyway.

I was usually exhausted after a day at work constantly talking to people and then coming home to my girlfriend, and many times we would talk some before going to sleep and I was a tad ahead of her when it came to falling asleep. All of this meaning I'd be somewhat conscious and aware of what she was saying but still sort of in a more lucid dream state. I'd reply to a question with something relating to the main point of her question, but not really answering the question at hand.

When I'm having nightmares or just bad dreams it's not unusual I wake myself up by shuffling around and mumbling something or trying to scream something, albeit a very hushed scream.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I can fall asleep in mid sentence, then wake up and start another if there are other people in the room talking.

But I had this roommate one time. We both worked in a restaurant and shared an apartment for a time. He was a heavy alcoholic and coke head. So I was sleeping in my room one night when he stumbled in wasted and went straight to his room and passed out. At around 4:00 AM I heard the door to my room open and was awakened by him pissing on me in my bed. I was backed into the corner screaming like a wild animal and he just said, "Oh mellow out, Chez." and went back to bed. I was so mad and of course I couldn't get back to sleep. I had to go to the living room just to get out of my urine-soaked futon. When he got up and came out for his morning smoke, coke (the soft drink this time) and TV with the stereo on I said, "I didn't know you were a somnambulist." He said, "Oh no, what did I do?" I told him and he seemed remorseful. Told me he used to pee in his mom's dresser when he was a kid and thought he had outgrown that kind of thing. I told him he owed me a futon but he never paid for it. I moved out soon after that but kind of felt bad for him. A little talking and limb movement is much better than stumbling around your house looking for an inappropriate place to pee.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
On a few occasions I have talked in my sleep, but mostly what happens to me is I get stuck in between being awake and asleep, where my body can't move but I can start dreaming, and I start seeing scary things or hear an extremely loud buzzing in my ears and I scream, and then I can move again.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I used to talk in my sleep when I was a kid, but now I just mumble. But then also I turn into a ninja when I'm asleep. I usually wake up either next to my bed or upside down. You shouldn't worry too much about it and he needs to stop whining about it. If he doesn't like it he can sleep on the couch.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Yes to both. Not often in my sleep and I talk out loud to myself sometimes. I also sleep walk under major stress.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
My friend did that quite a bit and one time she walked through the livingroom in the wee hours of the morning while I was sleeping on her couch and I woke and sat up and she turned to me to start a kind of incoherent babble then walked into the kitchen like she was looking for something then walked straight to bed. When I asked her what she was on about later, she didn't remember it.

You could get a sleep study done if you are concerned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.