Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when I am talking to someone I move my hands a lot. Especially if I am trying to describe something, I tend to visualise it and my hands start making the actions of what I'm visualising.

We have a Japanese housemate who is here for only one semester. His English is pretty good but I often notice when he is struggling to grasp what I am saying so I find myself being even more expressive through my hands.

I was talking to him about how in a story of mine my cat goes through his cat flap and the only way for me to follow him was to go through the cat flap too, but it was too small so in my story the cat flap increased in size for me to go through. I was practically drawing the cat flap in the air. I could see him watching my hands haha.

Does anyone else do this?

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
Well, they do if you hold your pointer finger over your thumb and move the pointer finger up and down! :laughing:

Seriously, umbrellasky, yes my hands are moving as I speak to help express what I am saying! :wink:

To put it simply...I talk with my hands!:wink:

Reactions: The Vizier

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I do it a little bit.

I used to have a lot of trouble with body language. Looking people in the eye was what I struggled with the most, but I'm getting better.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not typically...

but I am incredibly easy to influence. if you talk with your hands, i'll pick it up from you. if you talk with your hands, and i see you *all* the time, i will incorporate it into my behaviors. ill do that with accents, funny expressions, facial quirks, etc.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Not typically...

but I am incredibly easy to influence. if you talk with your hands, i'll pick it up from you. if you talk with your hands, and i see you *all* the time, i will incorporate it into my behaviors. ill do that with accents, funny expressions, facial quirks, etc.
I need to hang out with someone to change my accent. Mine makes me sound like an idiot. :dry:

·
Registered
108 Posts
there's few things I can say without moving my hands.

Typically when I'm trying to explain something (ie: explaining something to someone for an exam, you know things about math, science,w.e) I move my right hand in a circular motion close to my head

And when i can't get a word out (ie: saying a report in class) I snap my fingers really hard bout 3 times and most of the time I am able to finish it fast.

The rest is just putting my hands in front of me and bending the fingers in weird ways...on this situation, If I think about it I stop doing it.

For me, when people do it too much its like they think you don't understand and you are stupid or something, and when they don't do it the conversation has no emotion.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
More than I even realize...

Reactions: MissNobody

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I notice I twiddle my fingers a lot like I'm playing piano. Touch the back of my ears, my eyebrow, my lips, point in the air, make swaying motions. It always catches people's attention I guess since the rest of my body and voice generally seems restricted, monotone

They kind of have a life of their own and don't always connect to what I'm speaking about at the moment

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah I love to talk with my hands. I have noticed that the more comfortable I am with people, the more I talk with my hands. I suppose if I were with real life INFJs like you guys then my hands would move more. But if I were not so comfortable then my hands would more less or not at all. Haha, to observe my level of comfort, watch my hands. :crazy:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I do it a lot, sometimes I practically act whole things out, and put on the voices. I sometimes wish I did it less.

My INFJ friend does it too, but not to the degree of acting it out. We do it far more together, as if we are sketching ideas for each other in the air...we know each other so well, and think similarly enough, I can go: so, you see it's like *makes odd circular guestre* Friend: Ahhh...so kind of *copies mortion, the adds to it* Me: yes! *other friends look on as if we are crazy*

My INFJ friend (has to be a shorter way to say that) does it most when retelling a story from a book or TV show. When she is talking with me she loses her self concousness and gets very expressive. Just so anemated and full of excitment. I often tease her and say she needs sock puppets to finish the effect, I sort of imagine her acting it out with them.

I've been told by a Chinese student I went to uni with, that I have very German manerisims, so she thought I was German for a while. Funnily enough I am of German decent, but I have liniage from several Europien countries, including Italian by the way (Italian liniage for the win!). I think what she meant was I am very carful in my movment, and I can be quite precise.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't use my hands very much when making conversation.

But if I'm explaining something, especially giving instruction, I use a lot of body language to make sure that everything is communicated clearly. Also if I'm giving a speech on an idea, I would use hands to in a way make the idea visible and physical in front of the audience.

And then, sometimes I use hands and really all my body to try to transfer sensory impressions when talking to people.

And, yeah, also if I have this image in my head about how things connect and make sense, and I don't find the words, I tend to visualise very spatially and that can also show in my use of my hands.

So, I guess, I do... :crazy:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
East meets West

Hand movement has become a topic of interest to me, as I am now in a presentation class. I don't move my hands, however, I clasp them tightly, when I am nervous. It is like all of my energy goes there. I have to work on that in class.

I've noticed that when I am talking to someone I move my hands a lot. Especially if I am trying to describe something, I tend to visualize it and my hands start making the actions of what I'm visualizing.

We have a Japanese housemate who is here for only one semester. His English is pretty good but I often notice when he is struggling to grasp what I am saying so I find myself being even more expressive through my hands.

I was talking to him about how in a story of mine my cat goes through his cat flap and the only way for me to follow him was to go through the cat flap too, but it was too small so in my story the cat flap increased in size for me to go through. I was practically drawing the cat flap in the air. I could see him watching my hands haha.

Does anyone else do this?
umbrellasky - I have quite the calm exterior, one wouldn't know it on here, by the nature of my posts. I rarely move my hands when speaking. perhaps it is my eastern background that has caused this -- in contrast to being say, Italian or something. As a japanese person, your house mate may certainly be curious. Generally asians are not expressive in that way, with over usage of loud hand movements! He must be amused, in a good way.

I always thought it was because I was Italian.

But yeah, I'm with ya.
Btmangan - Likely because you are Italian. Duh, it makes sense now. How your posts are sweet and passionate. Ok, on second glance, I am now understanding the collective soul song a bit more...I notice it is in your Sig. Which is what you were telling me before, I just didn't make the connection. For a dark haired girl, I can be so blond! tee hee (no offense blonds, I am kidding)

I dated two Italians once. A green eye'd one and a brown eye'd one. I tend to like European men. I suppose it is the contrast. They may read my lack of outward expression as mystery, who knows...Here is an excerpt of Eat Pray Love that you all may like, the book opens this way:

"I wish Giovanni would kiss me...Giovanni is my Tandem Exchange partner. That sounds like an innuendo, but unfortunately it's not. All it really means is that we meet a few evenings a week here in rome to practice each other's languages. We speak first in Italian, and he is patient with me; then we speak in English, and I am patient with him. I discovered Giovanni a few weeks after I'd arrived in Rome...Tall, dark and handsome...with those iant brown liquid-centre Italian eyes that just unstitch me..." Elizabeth goes onto fantasize.

I'm reading this book, to discuss it with a friend, I figure I may as well share some of it as I go along! I hope that doesn't bother you all. All that I do in life somehow, becomes intermingled. I suppose it is the same for you all too.

silly... hands don't have mouths.
GreenCoyote - always the comedian!

Yeah I love to talk with my hands. I have noticed that the more comfortable I am with people, the more I talk with my hands. I suppose if I were with real life INFJs like you guys then my hands would move more. But if I were not so comfortable then my hands would more less or not at all. Haha, to observe my level of comfort, watch my hands. :crazy:
The Vizier - to continue what I was saying above. We are a lot a like. When I was younger, I was overly expressive with my hands. I caught myself on that, now I barely move them! But now that you say this, in tense or unknown situations, or around unknown people I tend to not move as freely. Around people I know, I naturally move my hands.

...I've been told by a Chinese student I went to uni with, that I have very German manerisims, so she thought I was German for a while. Funnily enough I am of German decent, but I have liniage from several Europien countries, including Italian by the way (Italian liniage for the win!). I think what she meant was I am very carful in my movment, and I can be quite precise.
Filigeedreamer - As mentioned before in my post here, certainly there seems to be East / West differences in verbal and physical communication. When my parents arrived to Canada, many years ago, they were quite afraid! They first lived in Little Italy (Toronto) and moved out rather quickly. The loudness of the conversations, and passionate displays kind of scared them! hehehe

It is strange. I did work once for a close knit Canadian couple at a small company. I was amazing at my job, but I did not express much external passion. I generally remained cool. They were suspicious of me, etc (slight racists also). They wanted me to become upset when things went wrong, and be elated when things went well. I am pretty calm, externally.

I learned from them, but didn't take their behavior too personally. I was disappointed in some of their interpretations though, but they weren't from the Big City, so I don't really fault too many persons that have not dealt with other cultures before. Depending on the business type, I have some advantages. I appear to be cool under pressure.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
umbrellasky - I have quite the calm exterior, one wouldn't know it on here, by the nature of my posts. I rarely move my hands when speaking. perhaps it is my eastern background that has caused this -- in contrast to being say, Italian or something. As a japanese person, your house mate may certainly be curious. Generally asians are not expressive in that way, with over usage of loud hand movements! He must be amused, in a good way.
That's really interesting I never thought about cultural differences! I think you're right he probably was amused by me hehe.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Filigeedreamer - As mentioned before in my post here, certainly there seems to be East / West differences in verbal and physical communication. When my parents arrived to Canada, many years ago, they were quite afraid! They first lived in Little Italy (Toronto) and moved out rather quickly. The loudness of the conversations, and passionate displays kind of scared them! hehehe

It is strange. I did work once for a close knit Canadian couple at a small company. I was amazing at my job, but I did not express much external passion. I generally remained cool. They were suspicious of me, etc (slight racists also). They wanted me to become upset when things went wrong, and be elated when things went well. I am pretty calm, externally.

I learned from them, but didn't take their behavior too personally. I was disappointed in some of their interpretations though, but they weren't from the Big City, so I don't really fault too many persons that have not dealt with other cultures before. Depending on the business type, I have some advantages. I appear to be cool under pressure.
I find cultural differences quite interesting, especially between similar cultures. I ended up getting friendly with two American girls I met on holiday in Italy. We were comenting on how Italian's differed from our own cultures. I found they paid a lot more attention to their appearence, especially the men. They wore a lot of designer clothing ect. The other two girls really didn't like it, and thought it came across rather gay. I didn't think it seemed like that at all, and it was quite funny. But then I've noticed American media can portray Europien men as less masculin and more in touch with their femine side. When I've been to America I've also noticed they seem to wear less "fashionable" clothes by UK standards. Their dress is less embelished, I think.

My ex was half Canadian and moved to the UK (where I am) in his teens. He found it a huge culture shock, which he wasn't expecting, as we speak the same language. He thinks British boys sometimes try too hard with their looks, especially my brother, lol. Aparently we are very rude compaired to what he is used to, he opens doors for people all the time ect, but I have found he and several Americans I have met don't say please or thank you as often, especially to waiting staff.

Back to hand movments, and expression...I can find Americans and Canadians a bit intimidating, as they seem quite easy with expressing themselves and emotion. They can come across as overly emotional or a bit sappy by British standards, and they definatly have a different sense of humoure. American humour can feel quite heavy handed at times. A lot of Americans don't seem to get British comedy at all though, and I know my ex's dad, who is still in Canada, really didn't get some of the sardonic British films he showed him. He's been here a long time now, so he's picked up on it and couldn't understand why his dad didn't get things.

With that in mind, going from East to West must be very odd indead. I know the Chinese girl I met found me less intimidating, as I am not often loud or brash, unless I am feeling frustraited or passionate. I did use slightly more hand movement with her, and I found she kept her movments close her her body, and quite small. She could seem rather distant, and I think others sometimes translated this as being cold or arogent. She was a very sweet person though, and I think very unsure of British people at first.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I move my hands A LOT. If you looked at me, it would appear I'm conducting an orchestra lol

Specially when I'm trying to communicate a complex subject, my hands take the form of the abstract object and become sync with one another. It's as if they had a life of their own.

Reactions: Dalien

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
All over the place. If they made up a sport called hand-dancing, I'd be queen of it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts