Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you tell people that you are INFP when you meet someone new? Say, if you join a website (interest, dating), do you indicate INFP on your profile?

Do you think letting people know that you are an INFP will open you up for manipulation?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Online I might identify as INFP if it comes up in context.
In person, I don't identify as one because I rarely encounter people who are into MBTI.

I don't see how it would open me up for manipulation. That's not something I worry about.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
As soon as I find someone in real life who knows or cares, I'll probably blurt it out in relief.
So far, no-one.

I don't care what they do with that information. Worst they can do is not understand, which tends to happen anyway.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Nope. If I tell people I'm an introvert and they still don't get it, why in the hell would I want to tell them I'm INFP. :laughing:
Basically online only on relevant forums, offline never.

·
Banned
710 Posts
I tried talking to my family about it, but it usually ends up me just explaining how the 16 types work, then having them completely forget by the time I try to pick up where I left off. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes people put their MBTI type on online dating websites. I think it's kind of cool, as if you are interested in the subject you kind of get a little further insight into what they are like.

·
Banned
573 Posts
I don't even have to let anyone know that I am INFP. It's only natural for me to be the odd one out. Therefore, everyone knows that I'm INFPeculiar :tongue:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
No, unless I want my family to take the MBTI test or if someone asks me what my personality type was.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nope unless they ask. I DO like asking people to take the test though :D And then telling some friend that this other friend is this type xD

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Only when other people bring it up. Even then, I'm wary of revealing my MBTI, because in my experience I've had mostly looks of disdain and rude comments which makes me feel nervous. I'm not a typist and I don't judge people based upon their MBTI, but I guess when I say that I'm such and such, it makes people who aren't that type feel like they are somewhat inferior. That couldn't be further from the truth, I think every type has its strengths/weaknesses, good/bad points etc. Nobody is perfect. But I've only known a handful of people who understood MBTI and were able to converse without the aggro-ignorance.

Reactions: Raain

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would love to be able to tell everyone who I really am, instead of wearing what feels like a heinous mask all the time. I mean I don't change who I am in these cases necessarily; it's more like I have an unbiased and agreeable state, set up in my mind, in which I just try and perceive, and mirror in a sense, how other people function and limit how much of my true self seeps through.
It truly is a vastly alone world for the INFP isn't it?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I don't think I've ever met anyone who knew what the MBTI is so I never mention it. Might be an over 50 thing. But I have said "Google INFP" to a few people who were struggling hard to figure me out & I couldn't really explain myself in ways that satisfied them. They went "What's INFP?" So I began explaining the MBTI & about put them to sleep in 20 seconds. I remember mentioning to a psychologist that I was an INFP & she replied "Huh?" I mentioned the MBTI & she said "Oh, yeah I think I heard about that." Seems to be top secret. :wink: One side note: I emailed a link of ESTJ characteristics to an ESTJ coworker & he read it, laughed out loud & said "THAT...is me! Exactly!"

·
Registered
106 Posts
I remember mentioning to a psychologist that I was an INFP & she replied "Huh?" I mentioned the MBTI & she said "Oh, yeah I think I heard about that." Seems to be top secret.
That's interesting you say that because my old psychologist was the one who got me onto MBTI, she actually recommended I did the test, changed my life and perception drastically. She also straight up guessed I was an INFP, pretty certain she was an INFx herself though. I'd like to think if I met another "absolute" INFP (for lack of a better word) I would be able to identify it to an extent though. This was only maybe 5-6 years ago however, and she made it out that MBTI based tests were a relatively popular or crucial psychoanalytical tool in her world these days, would be interested to know, if you don't mind me asking, when abouts you questioned this psych about MBTI?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If someone I know brings up the MBTI and asks, I'll say I am. If I bring it up and they ask, I'll say I am. Or if it's somehow relevant to talk about it, I'll bring it up.

Otherwise, nope. But there's no more to that than it simply not being relevant to bring it up in other situations.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
In person I don't know anybody who is into mbti, so no I don't say anything.

Online, I have it in every personal description of every social media account I have, I am rather proud of being an INFP, to be honest. But! I do find that people have tried to manipulate me, specifically there was one person who CLEARLY had done research on INFPs because she knew exactly what to say to me and how to say it, and her approach towards me changed overnight, it was weird. She went from disliking my core values and saying the wrong things all the time by accident (for example, she'd try to ask me for a date and then say "I hate vegans" and I'd say "I'm a vegan" and she's be like :blushed:, she messed up all the time), to suddenly liking my core values that she had disliked before, and also she would twist my words to try manipulate me into convincing me that she was agreeing, when in fact she wasn't, it was a fucking mess and I could see her BS from miles. I realized she had been researching mbti because her change in attitude changed as soon as I wrote a post in my blog about being INFP.

I tend to be extremely suspicious of people who agree with me all the time, I won't be manipulated, no sir.

Also, I know how SJs and STs tend to hate INFPs, so I always wait until I figure out someone's type before I decide whether or not I will reveal mine. I refuse to be put into a box before they know me. If it's an ST or SJ, I will first be myself, see if they enjoy me as a person for a long time, and then say my type, when they already like me and they will be surprised "Omg you're an INFP? But I hate INFPs!" and I will have the chance to say "You're clearly stereotyping people and you're wrong and should stop with the nonsense"

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
That's interesting you say that because my old psychologist was the one who got me onto MBTI, she actually recommended I did the test, changed my life and perception drastically. She also straight up guessed I was an INFP, pretty certain she was an INFx herself though. I'd like to think if I met another "absolute" INFP (for lack of a better word) I would be able to identify it to an extent though. This was only maybe 5-6 years ago however, and she made it out that MBTI based tests were a relatively popular or crucial psychoanalytical tool in her world these days, would be interested to know, if you don't mind me asking, when abouts you questioned this psych about MBTI?
1991. Seems it would be a good thing for a psychologist to know.

Reactions: Cellar_Door

·
Registered
106 Posts
I tend to be extremely suspicious of people who agree with me all the time, I won't be manipulated, no sir.
I want to thank this 9000 times over. I despise people trying to manipulate me, it can make me completely change my mind about a friend, their morals and their intentions altogether. I mean I like to think i'm rather tolerant and forgiving, but if someone tries to manipulate me to do something or get something out of me, that is the line and you will be lucky if I ever think / talk to you the same.

In terms of trying to win you over by getting to know your profile, I can understand that if she truly liked you as she's taken the time to understand you, but if it's necessary for her to change her approach and be generally agreeable when she doesn't actually agree, I think suggests blatant incompatibility.

I personally like people who challenge my opinion to an extent, as I feel they actually listen and understand, but only if it is strictly open minded and non judgmentally.

If they stomp on my value system I will end them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I find that certain types seem more likely to truly want to understand MBTI, and are truly able to grasp the concepts. The more "minority", "misunderstood", and "abstract thinking" a person is, the more they want to grasp it.

N's - Tend to show more interest (minority & abstract thinker)
I's - Tend to show more interest (minority & misunderstood)
P's - Tend to show more interest (minority & misunderstood)

F men & T women - They seem to show relief in learning about it (minority & misunderstood)

So, the less of these letters a person has, the less likely they are to care about MBTI. Even if you explain it to them, they will forget it by the next time you talk to them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't be afraid of who you are.
You have to let yourself shine through and just be!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts