Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you tend to lose/forget things easily? I've lost phones, wallets, my passport articles of clothing, you name it. I also often misplace my glasses or just things I need all the time, and forget where I put things. I can literally put something somewhere and the next moment totally forget where it is, I'm worse than a lot of old people. I know I can be forgetful, careless, but always being aware of what I'm doing doesn't come naturally to me. Too absorbed in what I'm doing. My mum chastises me over it, and thinks there's something wrong with me. Is being an INFP at least somewhat of an excuse? (state type)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yes, I lost things that are that important. Being perceiver does play a role, but I was not like this my whole life, so I do not think is an INFP thing though. I think that due to anxiety, I pay attention to what is making me anxious at the moment, and normally I forget/lose other things. My INTP uncle loses things easily though. He has to be reminded "do not leave your umbrella there and there," "do not lose this and that."

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes, it is something of an excuse.

I'm an ENTP, and my Si is worse than yours. I literally can't remember things, because my mind never makes note of them. I always leave something behind, sometimes even the groceries I just bought. I think it's funny how you mention "old people", because I hear people saying "I just forgot thing X, I must be getting old" and I just think that's so cute. Maybe I'll remember stuff better as I get older.

Anyway, it has helped me to make mental note of things that are really important, e.g., I have the passport. I am putting it in the outer pocket here. Where? Here, in the outer pocket. So I won't forget.

I also have a special bowl by my doorway for my keys so that I can never lock myself in or out, and the ritual is you HAVE TO either put the keys in or take them out each time you go past. Or forces of darkness will seep from the floorboards while I sleep and devour my soul...or something. You get the idea.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Nope. Everything has its' place and that's the reason why.

If I ever misplace anything, I am very hard on myself for being stupid.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not really. I might forget I put something somewhere for a short while, but after about 5 seconds, or 5 minutes at max, I realize I forgot it and go back to take it.

It's pretty hilarious when I get out of the house, I can go back and forth just to take the things that I forgot.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
ENTP
It used to happen really much when I was a child. I used to forget everything (brushing my teeth, doing homework, ec.), and I also used to lose all kind of things, pencils, books, clothes... It's nothing weird, actually, since I have ADD.
I still forget things, but never as much as I did before. For example, I don't forget to brush my teeth or take baths anymore, and if I don't do my homework it's because I don't want to, not because I forgot. I still forget things like medical appointments and deadlines (which I costantly need to be reminded of) a lot. Also, I often immediately forget what someone has told me only after a few moments they've told me. But as I said, I have ADD so that's just probably related to my short attention span.
And I also don't lose things anymore.

My father is an ENTP as well and has ADD just like me, but he didn't do any therapy or treatment, and in fact he still loses and forget things a lot just like when he was younger.
But, as opposite to me, he remembers appointments and deadlines really well.

·
Warden-Commander
24,113 Posts
All the time. Nothing more to say, really.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Usually I am pretty good, but I just locked my keys in my car....so I don't feel too good atm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One time I put my passport in my hat, then put my hat on. That was fun.

I'm constantly misplacing and losing and forgetting. I have an extremely sub-par working memory and, though I try to solve things through organisation and structure, actually bothering with it is so dull that it doesn't tend to work.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a neat and organized house, and everything is in an area where I can easily remember where they are and access them. However, I do often have to check my pocket for my phone, or my work bag for my phone and papers multiple times because then I fear I may lose them due to lack of trust in my environment. But as a due consequence, I often do not lose my items... well, I do sometimes but not often.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I lose everything I touch. My math teacher gives me two copies of each assignment because she's so used to me losing the first one. I remember appointment and deadlines really well, but little things like remembering to take a library book back to school in the morning might take me an entire month to actually remember.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ENFJ - Yes and pretty often. If I'm working on something and I put a tool down then get distracted with another task chances are when I get back to what I was originally doing I have probably forgotten exactly where I put it and end up searching. I would like to think I'm organized but.... probably not... :unsure:

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
Having both of the sensing functions as my fourth (Se) and my eighth (Si)... yes, I tend to lose things as soon as I set them down and take my mind off of them for about two minutes. I'm not exaggerating.

I feel like I have dementia when it comes to this. I'll be getting things together in the morning before I head out to work, I'll set my keys down while I go grab something else, and then once I'm done with that I have to look for my keys again because I completely forgot where I had set them down.

INFJs -- We're just so darn wonderful... Until you make us deal with a tangible object.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ENTP or INTP here! And yeah I'm so forgetful. I've lost my student ID twice in a week before and its $20 to replace! I also lose accessories a lot (such as sunglasses, headbands, hats, jewelry) so I make sure to never wear anything too expensive. But I am very careful about my keys and phone for some reason, I almost never misplace these items and I always check to have them before I leave somewhere. I think its because not having the ability to contact people or get into my own place/car would frustrate me beyond belief!

·
Registered
257 Posts
If I don't put them in their place, like my mobile has to go in my right forward pocket, my keys the left, wallet back left pocket etc.
if they're somewhere else yeah, there is a distinct possibility I'll forget them :laughing:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I lost my doorknob before, not a replacement, the actual knob that came with my door. Put it down for a second, can't tell you what happened to it. Bandits maybe?

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
Every time I don't want to lose something, I'll keep it in my big tote bag that I always go out with. It's like the key word for lost item. The password is tote bag.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts