Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, I feel like 2010 feels a bit different from today, but I don't know if that was cause I was still in my childhood back then (I was 8) I remember when back in 2010 digital cameras were still quite common and blackberry phones were still popular. Even back in 2011 I remember making a birthday cake for my mom with my older sister and we took a picture of ourselves with a digital camera. I can actually remember walking out of Walmart and seeing someone with a slide phone texting. Apps like Instagram and Snapchat didn't exist and most teenagers were using Facebook at the time. The music back then also sounds different. I think most would definitely sound out of place if they were released today. One thing I noticed was that side bangs and long hair on guys were still quite common back then. I saw a picture from 2010 and not only did the girls in the photo have emo hair, but they also took it with a digital camera (it was a mirror selfie) I hardly see that nowadays, at least where I'm at. Does anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can see a difference, though not too much yet. Most of the music sounds different from back then and now but that's it.

Emo is starting to make a come back though.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Certainly, it was seven years ago.
Back then, the Recession wasn't over yet, the 7th Gaming Generation was still at its peak as Call of Duty mania was taking over, smartphones hadn't yet overtaken conventional cell phones in sales, Minecraft and Angry Birds were brand new, YouTube still had customizable channels, there was no Spapchat, Vine, Pinterest, or Instagram, and hell even MySpace still had a small amount of relevance.
The music back then is also certainly dated. I see plenty of comments expressing nostalgia on videos for "Not Afraid", "Love the Way You Lie", "Airplanes", etc.

I definitely do feel the early 10s (2010-Early 2013) is dated now, as someone who was in middle school and freshman year back then.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Er I think 2010 is somewhat dated I mean yes Instagram and Snapchat didn't exist back then but that was the year I think most people started to get smartphones as opposed to slider phones. Early 2010 was alot more dated than late 2010 to me cus early 2010 was heavy influenced by 2009. However personally is doesn't feel that dated to me cus I was already 13 for most of the year.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In terms of technology,I would said 2010 is some dated since smartphone only become a thing in 2011/2012 in my country but in terms of childhood I don't feel dated since I'm a preteen in 2010

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
While it's slightly dated, I also don't think it's that much more dated than it was circa 2014. Once iPhones and ig entered adoption by young people in 2012, it hasn't actually changed all that much, just improved. Though in all fairness, much of what we currently do was already in action by 2010, however in rudimentary phases. If you compare 2010 to say, 2003, it would be drastically more similar to today imo than back then.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

*Windows 7 was new. Windows 8 and 10 were non-existant.
*Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 were current.
*PS2 was still getting games, albeit mostly sports and Disney games.
*Xbox Live for the original Xbox was discontinued in 2010.
*Nintendo released the DSi XL, there were rumors about the 3DS.
*iPad was released.
*4th gen iPod released.
*Apple products still had audio jacks :laughing:.
*YouTube cosmic panda layout wasn't release until 2012.
*YouTube accounts weren't linked to Google+ accounts.
*Facebook was just becoming popular.

To be honest, I don't really consider any of this technology obsolete, just a bit dated. Though smartphone use wasn't as widespread as it is today.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, it does feel little dated, although not hugely - it feels similar to now in my opinion to comparing 2003/4 to 2010. In terms of a quick rundown:

*Fashion - yeah, 2010 fashion was quite different to now, at least in Britain. Most guys had longish hair, emo was still in fashion, and clothing was still relatively loose
*Music - I don't think music from 2010 was hugely different to now. More videos are HD, and the general style of chart stuff has become a little dribblier, but that's about it.
*Branding - typefaces, logos, ads and branding generally look flatter now, with some stuff being slightly 50s-influenced.
*Technology - smartphones are far more powerful and commonplace than they were in 2010, but otherwise aren't hugely different.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In short, I'd say 2010 is moderately dated but not terribly distant. The jumpstart of contemporary musical scene, the onset of smartphones (even though the smartphone technology had definitely come long ways since then) and some other things all happened around 2010.

2009 and early 2010 were like the slow beginning of what we call the "early '10s" era which was in full position by the middle of 2010 and extended into early 2013 (and maybe late 2013 as well or even a tiny bit of '14 - now that I think about it, although I wasn't really sure about it a year or two ago, '14 really seemed to be a changing year, both overall and personally - 2013 feels different than '15 for instance)

You know, even as late as 2013 and early '14 is starting to feel a little dated now (in a much more subtle way than 2003 to '07 for instance, but it's still there), much as I hate to say it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Technology's come a long way in a number of areas.

- Getting your full genome sequenced cost around $50,000 or $60,000 in 2010. It's only around $1000 now, and might potentially drop again to $500 by the end of this year.
- Electric vehicles were considered a joke in 2010, with the early entries being very underwhelming. They have come far enough to be serious contenders with gasoline cars, and most major car companies started pledging last year to electrify their fleet.
- Seriously, when it comes to energy sources, even 2016 is very dated. Just last year there was a huge, unprecedented surge in countries pledging to transition to renewable energy by the 2020s, 2030s, or 2040s.
- At the beginning of 2010, there were three supercomputers in the world that could be measured in petaflops, and they cost tens of millions. There were 181 as of November 2017, and there might be several hundred by the end of this year (CPUs were released in late 2017 that cut down the price of one petaflop to around $30,000).
- Virtual Reality was a dead, forgotten field in 2010. As of last year, one poll said that 11 percent of households in the US own a VR device. I love VR, so this is a big deal to me.
- Artificial Intelligence has made huge strides since the Deep Learning revolution began in 2012. AI now has superhuman capabilities in some area that were laughably weak or deemed impossible to master in 2010.
- Though self driving cars will be more of a 2020s technology, the first Level 3 self-driving car (fully autonomous in areas with a speed limit of 37 MPH or less) is to be released this year and basically every major car company has committed to releasing their own self-driving vehicles throughout the '20s. In 2010, it was just some crazy moonshot idea that only Google was putting serious effort into.
- Quantum computers were considered just theoretical in 2010. In 2018 they exist and should surpass conventional computing pretty soon. Most scientists now agree that it's only a matter of 'when' they become prominent, not 'if' - and the 'when' is usually agreed upon as being within the near future, 202x.
- Only around 23 percent of the global population had an internet connection the January of 2010. That number has improved about 3-4 percent each year, and now stands at around 51 or 52 percent here in January 2018.

I don't know much about clothing or music styles. I'm largely out of touch with that stuff. ^^; In terms of technology and lifestyles, however, I think the gulf between 2020 and 2028 will vastly eclipse that between 2010 and 2018. The 2010s are basically laying the groundwork for technologies that will really change our lives during the 2020s.

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
I'd imagine being pretty bored, even if there's fun things to do you know what's gonna happen. No new input for 8 years is insane.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In some ways yes, other ways, no

Yes/Dated:
slider phones are obsolete now, as they were still used along side smartphones until smartphones took over around 2011.

Some Forms of Social media- Facebook was the norm for teenagers, and most people who were preteens or teens back in 2010 migrated over to Snapchat and Instagram now

Fashion- People wore a lot of name brands in 2010 such as Hollister, Abercrombie&Fitch, etc. as well as snapbacks. Now clothing is less about name brands and more about style and slim fit.

Not Dated/Hasn't Changed:
The Internet- After web 2.0 and YouTube got released the Internet hasn't changed much. Just faster, HD and more content, and more accessible. The difference from 2010-2018 in term of Internet is not nearly as big from 2002-2010.

Video- HD and 3D films were already in abundance back in 2010, now we just have 4K and Smart TVs, but flatscreens were the norm by 2010, although not as big in size.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts