Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not trying to offend anyone or be racist but I have been in the UK for a bit and dated a lot of English and foreign men. I have lived in France and in the West indies. I have friends of lots of different nationalities. But seriously it seems to me that English people really struggle to express their feelings. I am also posting this because there were that trailer at the cinema about that woman spy trying to date 2 men at the same time. she describes them to her female friend. One was (different adjective for a man) the problem with the other was " he is English". And to any foreign person that does make sense when I say it to my friends. But not to English people.

Do you agree or disagree? I don't even explain the combo English ESTJ!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am not trying to offend anyone or be racist but I have been in the UK for a bit and dated a lot of English and foreign men. I have lived in France and in the West indies. I have friends of lots of different nationalities. But seriously it seems to me that English people really struggle to express their feelings. I am also posting this because there were that trailer at the cinema about that woman spy trying to date 2 men at the same time. she describes them to her female friend. One was (different adjective for a man) the problem with the other was " he is English". And to any foreign person that does make sense when I say it to my friends. But not to English people.

I disagree. I think that with english people does it take longer time to see if they are emotionally impaired or not. Dont go dramatic with expressing their feelings is part of their education and upbreading, not emotional problem as such.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
English are known for not being very emotionally expressive, but that doesn't mean they're emotionally stupid. Unless it relates to expressing those emotions in a non-English way.

<blink>

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The types and methods of emotional expression are culturally determined. It's what tells you when it's OK to cry, or when it'e being overly dramatic, for example.

I'd imagine, though, if you wanted to date an english man, but wanted emotional expressivity, then perhaps a more proletarian man would be in order. It seems in anglosaxon cultures, the higher up the class ladder, the less emotion is to be expressed.

·
Registered
Me
1,688 Posts

Well I know some will take offence at such a question but as an english man myself ive often wondered the same. I think I as an individual am emotionally impaired and it seems I only show my emotions when im at my most stressed and unhappy.

However it would foolish of me to relate myself as some perfect example of proof just because im English.

I only talk of myself here and there is no wish for projection onto others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts