Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a thread on a different site where an ENFJ girl had an ENFP boyfriend and she said she thought he was so flaky and that he talked too much about problems that she as an ENFJ had too and was unable to give advice to him. She said that she thought he should see a shrink (in that negative sarcastic way like "he's got issues" or something).
Do you think that ENFJs and ENFPs are compatible? Do you hate them, love them, gotta have them? Know any ENFPs in your life that you guys get along with? I guess this question arises because I was trying to find out if ENFPs and ENFJs are compatible. I have been dating an ENFJ for almost a year now and I can't tell if the reasons for our misunderstandings are because we are quasi-identicals or if it's just those minor mis-communications that arise from dating outside your own type. Or maybe it's just because he's a judger and I'm a perceiver that he doesn't understand that I'm not as serious or set on things getting accomplished.
Or maybe it's just that we're different people and has nothing to do with typology at all. I'm so confused. Any guidance would be fantastic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I love ENFPs as friends. I have many friends with this personality type and I love them dearly. They are all very diverse- so I can't make a generalization about all of them. I certainly know some awesome ones who aren't at all flaky and have no issues...

I have dated a few and the relationships didn't last. The emotional connections were amazing- but I found that they did flake a little more than I did and it bothered me. The one ENFP ex I am thinking of used to get very depressed and talk about killing himself. Of course this would devastate me and I would be all over trying to help him... but he would never take any advice. Then I found out that he had cheated on me with 3 different girls and had a secret cocaine addiction, so I had to leave him- which was super hard- because I still loved him- but I had to love myself more and do the right thing... He was the sweetest person though and I know he adored me- but he had no self-control and I find that kind of repulsive.

In terms of general flakiness, a lot of our friends would complain that he would flake out. People would ask him to do things and he would either say yes or he would leave it open (when he had no intention of actually attending)... it was like he always wanted to keep his options open and do what was right for him, he wanted the freedom to ditch plans if a better social opportunity came up. I don't like to leave people in the lurch and it makes me feel terribly guilty and bad and there were a few times I was flaky by association.

Having said all of that- I really love ENFPs. This was one guy. We were really young at the time (He was 18-20) and I have no doubt he has grown into a better person. And I wasn't perfect either FYI. :happy:

·
Registered
146 Posts
My best friend is an ENFP and I can't think of any time that she flaked on me and didn't have a good reason to... so no I really don't think that ENFPs are flaky in general, but I suppose the personality profile can be, it depends on the level of maturity of the person.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ENFPs Flaky??!?! YES!!!!!!!!

lol lemme explain.. all my ENFP friends love to party, but they dislike commiting to something far in advance, so i cant call them, a week in advance or anything because they will just say we will see, or they will say yes and flake last minute.

and YES!!! they also tend to call me out on things they notice about my behavior, its because of my ENFPs that i was able to address my passive aggresiveness.. (which i didnt even know i had until she brought it up)

the most fun ive ever had was hanging out with my ENFP friends, i wish sometimes I was related to them, just so i can gurrantee a spot in their life forever! lol

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My best friend is an ENFP and I can't think of any time that she flaked on me and didn't have a good reason to... so no I really don't think that ENFPs are flaky in general, but I suppose the personality profile can be, it depends on the level of maturity of the person.
What qualifies a good reason?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to thank you guys for pointing out this trend because I have noticed it in myself before and now I realize I get angry with myself when I realize I'm doing this to people I love.
It's just so weird because I feel like my ENFJ boyfriend does this to me a lot which makes me angry because I try so hard not to be that way. Although he always has a "good" reason to flake out on me at the last minute. It's like if his mom, friends, family, boss want him to do something--all of a sudden he's gone.
Is this an ENFJ problem or is it just that he's not that into me? We've almost been dating a year, now. And it's still like this. Maybe Extraverts should only date introverts so that the introvert will tag along. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love ENFPs as friends. I have many friends with this personality type and I love them dearly. They are all very diverse- so I can't make a generalization about all of them. I certainly know some awesome ones who aren't at all flaky and have no issues...

I have dated a few and the relationships didn't last. The emotional connections were amazing- but I found that they did flake a little more than I did and it bothered me. The one ENFP ex I am thinking of used to get very depressed and talk about killing himself. Of course this would devastate me and I would be all over trying to help him... but he would never take any advice. Then I found out that he had cheated on me with 3 different girls and had a secret cocaine addiction, so I had to leave him- which was super hard- because I still loved him- but I had to love myself more and do the right thing... He was the sweetest person though and I know he adored me- but he had no self-control and I find that kind of repulsive.

In terms of general flakiness, a lot of our friends would complain that he would flake out. People would ask him to do things and he would either say yes or he would leave it open (when he had no intention of actually attending)... it was like he always wanted to keep his options open and do what was right for him, he wanted the freedom to ditch plans if a better social opportunity came up. I don't like to leave people in the lurch and it makes me feel terribly guilty and bad and there were a few times I was flaky by association.

Having said all of that- I really love ENFPs. This was one guy. We were really young at the time (He was 18-20) and I have no doubt he has grown into a better person. And I wasn't perfect either FYI. :happy:
You were right to dump him. And I'm glad you pointed out the addiction situation because now that I think about it, every ENFP I know including myself has a problem with self-control. But I've never cheated on my ENFJ boyfriend because he's just too cute. :crazy:

I wonder if it's the ENFP trend to be a bit crazy as far as depressio goes. It's that our feelings are so introverted that they color the way we see the world. In this way we can be a bit annoying because we say things like "The whole world is awful." or "I love the world." It's almost like being bipolar or something.
Question!!! Ah!
Do you guys think this trend is difficult to understand or relate to? Do you just hate talking about emotions like that? Do you wish ENFPs would just cry instead of talking about their feelings as though they are some grandiose sunset covering the architecture of life?

·
Registered
146 Posts
What qualifies a good reason?
Oh like something family related or being doubled up on plans... I dunno honestly I
Can't remember any specifics, just that there was some good reason that she had to change and I didn't have a good reason to object...

If she ever did flake for something stupid, i really can't remember what the deal was... Maube im too much of an idealist?

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
People would ask him to do things and he would either say yes or he would leave it open (when he had no intention of actually attending)... it was like he always wanted to keep his options open and do what was right for him, he wanted the freedom to ditch plans if a better social opportunity came up. :happy:
Oh I know a guy like this. He was heaps of fun to be around & I used to think he was a good friend at one stage but then he started doing the above so I just backed off and decided to leave him to it. I get quite annoyed with that kind of carry on. I pretty much don't see/ hear from him anymore except the odd comment on my FB page. I don't know what MBTI he is. I know in terms of temperments he is a SANGUINE/CHOLERIC though, I wonder if he is ENFP?

·
Registered
56 Posts
What I think it boils down to is the J vs P function. If I were to generalize:

J's
More judgemental often see the world in black and white wrong vs right
organized
keeps track of time
planner/event planner
Action oriented

P's
Likely to see the world in shades of gray, less likely to pick a side
not so organized
not as time oriented
more spontaneous

I think there are strenghts in both of these. I think the P's are wise to see the world in shades of gray..J's are quick to jump to conclusions and pick a side on arguments. I've become more of a P in this area by trying hard to see all sides to an issue. However, its great to be a J as far as being organized, this just makes life easier.

So to answer the question if I needed to get something done and to trust that it will get done I will pick an ENFJ over an ENFP. Not because ENFP's are flakey per say but because ENFJ's are more organized and time oriented and likely to finish the project on time.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Four of my best friends are ENFJs. They surround me and approach me. It's weird. We make wonderful friends. But they do like to problem solve. So if you just want to complain, tell them that you just want to complain. They will appreciate it, otherwise they will knock themselves out trying to come up with a solution to your problem. Warn them in advance that you didn't want answers. Haha.

My ex husband was an ENFJ. We were married for 8 years. I believe him to be a very dark example of an ENFJ. But in the beginning, I married him because he was incredible flexible and appeared to like me for who I am. ENFJs tend to like being the position of "helper". I think he saw me as a sweet docile woman. Hahaha. I am a lot stronger now. He inspired me to go beyond and outside of the box. But I also found him suffocating. I felt he nearly strangled me. I needed him to have his own life too.

Eventually he turned violent and domestic violence ensued the last couple of years. I am currently in a very stressful and complex court battle against this man. We have been divorced for 4 years, separated for 7, and he still wants control over my life. He is a very passionate man. He is quite emotional. He also uses emotional words to manipulate people. He says what he thinks the people want to hear, he will bring them food, put on your coat, and give you a tissue. He is refined and elegant. But if you are the opposite sex and don't like him, he will destroy you by any means possible and sometimes do it with a smile still on his face. He is very used to manipulating women and people.

Right now my ENFJ ex husband is currently harrassing my ENFJ best friend. It is interesting to hear her translate his motives. This woman will fight fire for me and use her emotions and knowledge of people to help them. He is using his understanding of people to get anything he wants.

One thing I would really say to do often for an ENFJ, is to remind them about how much their gestures mean to you. Or point out how they have helped you in some way. I know my girlfriend likes to hear that she was the one who first discovered something important that I needed to do. She likes to know she has made an impact in a positive way on my life or other people's. She wants that validation.

Also, I believe ENFJs get hurt so much more easily than I do. I don't really care about social conventions. But they really want to be treated well and talked to politely. If you were to change your tone or tell them something blunt be very careful. Some can take it, some can't.

I see the relationship with my ENFJs as me being their counselor. I help them see a different perspective and figure out the reasons why other's behave to way they do. I help them to put their mental energies back on themselves and how powerful they are. There is no doubt that they are "good inside". They often take my advice and my ideas right away. It's exciting to see.

ENFJs help me problem solve and put things into action. Practical things. Yes, the focus on the "hear and now" and sometimes it splits my head apart. But I ned to get there anyway, so thank God for ENFJs. They also network a lot. I do too, but my ENFJ friends to do what I call "sell out" more than me. Meaning, if I don't like someone, I don't care to play "nice" due to social conventions or where that connection can get me. But my ENFJ friends tend to connect with socially because of where it could get them. But then they also set themselves up when they realize these people aren't worthy of their time or efforts.

ENFJs confide in me. They really can and do tell me everything. I find my ENFJ friends EXTREMELY chatty. Hahaha. They also like to be around people way more than me.

In regards to ENFPs, I have had a romantic relationship with an ENFP who is still a very good friend. I also have one ENFP girlfriend. It's weird when we are in a group together. It's like there is this struggle to be the ENFP of the group. Lol. But one on one, they give me POWERFUL advice. It usually makes a deep impact on me and they respect me as a person. I KNOW they believe in me and my strength. I trust them whole heartedly with their answer. It's usually in line with my own belief system.

I don't like romantic relationships with ENFP/ENFP, it's a little sexier to have slight difference. But it was a blast when I was with ENFP. It was like fairy tale land. But it did fizzle out. Well actually, we are still friends 17 years later so I shouldn't say "fizzle". ENFPs are very respectful people. But they also pull back once they've made a connection. I do that too. I'll be there for you deeply, but it's hard to integrate you everywhere in my life. In contrast, ENFJs can and will integrate you everywhere if they like you.

I don't think my ENFP friends are flaky. But consider the source. :tongue: I happen to enjoy it when people cancel. It lets me know I can cancel and they won't take it personally. But I do think I'm flaky. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I realized this the other day when my boyfriend and I went to the movie Inception. I left the film rattling on and on about how we knew we were really here at all whereas he still maintained a sharp view of what was real and not real without question. I am always questioning everything to the point where I can barely function. I didn't say it was better but every type thinks theirs is the best! :wink: I don't actually think mine is the best anymore. Now that I have questioned even that. And I think there are definitely some good things about being a judger. However, I am stuck questioning whether it is possible for me to change to being a judger or if I can just be more of a judger how to accomplish that and what the consequences will be. And on and on. I think another major difference is that perceivers have to be in the mood to do things and judgers just do them anyway.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pinkrasputin, thank you so much for that post. Everything you said was just so helpful. I really liked the part about ENFPs fighting over who will be the ENFP of the group. I have felt that way when I have been romantically involved with ENFPs, too. And your ex husband sounds a lot like an ENTJ I used to date. I can tell you mean that it depends on the person and not the personality type. Anyone can use their powers for good or for evil. I am so going to remember to be grateful to ENFJs. I have found that my ENFP friends give me powerful advice too. That's why I keep them around and prefer to hang out with them one on one. My ENFP friend and I can say anything to each other. I call him "A-hole," etc. It's nice to have a level of comfort with someone where you can say anything and laugh because you really know what the other person is feeling about you. I can't do that with ENFJs. It's like you always have to be polite which isn't super fun. I wonder if that level of psychological distance is present between ENFP and other types. And if it is only between ENFPs that understanding like that can be reached. Where you feel almost like you understand the other person completely. And it's just so comforting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hah, the question about enfp/enfj compatibilty is high on my list as well, since i happen to be dating one right now, and sometimes i just can't help to wonder about (or even be annoyed with) things that he does.
though i understand that such irritations stem from the differences in our leading functions, it still seems so..hopeless sometimes, difficult to cope with. i think the most difficult part is that enfps don't fit in with our extroverted feeling frame of reference that makes us almost slavish to respecting others' needs. at least my boyfriend just says something like "why do you care so much about what those other people think?" when i scold him for being unsensitive to someone or try to make him think about what consequences his actions will have on anyone aside himself.
for now i think that eventually enfps and enfjs are compatible just like any two types, any two people that have fallen for each other or become friends - it might just take slightly more work than maintaining a relationship with our dual or equal or whatnot that fits better. and since us enfjs are so ready to adjust..we might as well make it real good, if we are all into it. it's just that it might not be the best idea, since, well, it's better if both parties try to compromise when in a relationships, but from the enfps i know, even though they are all very, very wonderful people, the need for compromise (especially if something that they hold "basic" or a "value" of theirs has to be put up for a compromise) is incomprehensible to them - they just go their way and you either have to live with it or, pardon my french, fuck off. and that can result in enfps being annoyed too much about the fact that the enfj is asking for something so "irrational" and that, in turn, can eventually wear everyone out, which is definitely a huge threat for the relationship.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's just so baffling to me that you all seem to have the same complaints that I have about some of my ENFJ friends. I had this ENFJ girlfriend once who I believed only thought or cared about manipulating others to get what she wanted. She found ways to trick and trap her ENFP boyfriend (ex now) and she consulted me on how to accomplish it. I jokingly told her how assuming she wouldn't want to be with someone that way. How remarkable it was to me when she actually did it. I think maybe ENFJs and ENFPs see different elements of how our actions affect other people. Sometimes it is necessary to piss people off. And maybe it's more destructive to avoid confrontation sometimes than to hit it head on.
For example, my ENFJ friend who manipulated her ENFP boyfriend. He told her the truth: "We are not compatible, I'm only sleeping with you because I'm horny..." etc. Although these things made her upset and made her cry, she continued to put herself in that position. And then she made herself look like the victim to everybody else by complaining that he was using her.
I've been frustrated with my ENFJ boyfriend for refusing to admit in a conversation that there are any problems in our relationship.
Maybe these aren't problems that all ENFJs have. If they aren't, then, oh boy, have I met a lucky few who don't fit the typical portrait of an ENFJ.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
tion. And then she made herself look like the victim to everybody else by complaining that he was using her.
I've been frustrated with my ENFJ boyfriend for refusing to admit in a conversation that there are any problems in our relationship.
Maybe these aren't problems that all ENFJs have. If they aren't, then, oh boy, have I met a lucky few who don't fit the typical portrait of an ENFJ.
I have one really good ENFP friend! I think the world of him and he is awesome! Unfortunately.. He is flaky! Sporatic... our conversations are all over the place.
I think I have your answer though. You said you wanted to admit there are problems in your relationship. Honestly, that shows ****** in our armor. I don't like discussing my failures just tell me how to fix it! I don't want to hear or talk about how we are doomed for failure. Tell him how to succeed! Tell him what you want and what you need. Right to the point! Talking about problems and looking for issues in my mind is a waste of time or poor use of time. Build up not tear down. My best advice: RELAX! You need to stop and not only smell the roses but enjoy them too. Don't spend time thinking about when the roses will die.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, I'm seeing your point now. For real. See, (and here I go pointing out a problem again) but I personally have to search to figure out what the heck is bothering me exactly. Are you saying that I shouldn't involve him in the process of me figuring out what the problem is? Well, in any regard that's what I'm taking away from all of this. And I appreciate that because I think you're right that involving him in that process is probably bothering him more than the actual problems would. And I think he thinks I'm telling him to tell me out right when he's upset about something which when he does it really doesn't give any room for debate about what the problem is exactly. He's pretty forthright about it. Lol. We are so different but I think I'm starting to understand more now. You guys are very different about emotions. My emotions are so flipping complex and confusing because they're all tangled up in my perceptions--I feel like I have to sift through flour to see what they are at all. Your emotions are so much more present.
It's just when I consult my ENFP friends to figure out where the root of a specific problem lies I end up with solutions like: "He might be the best boyfriend you've ever had but you've got to dump him because you're not compatible. Some people are compatible some people aren't."

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Okay, I'm seeing your point now. For real. See, (and here I go pointing out a problem again) but I personally have to search to figure out what the heck is bothering me exactly. Are you saying that I shouldn't involve him in the process of me figuring out what the problem is? Well, in any regard that's what I'm taking away from all of this. And I appreciate that because I think you're right that involving him in that process is probably bothering him more than the actual problems would. And I think he thinks I'm telling him to tell me out right when he's upset about something which when he does it really doesn't give any room for debate about what the problem is exactly. He's pretty forthright about it. Lol. We are so different but I think I'm starting to understand more now. You guys are very different about emotions. My emotions are so flipping complex and confusing because they're all tangled up in my perceptions--I feel like I have to sift through flour to see what they are at all. Your emotions are so much more present.
It's just when I consult my ENFP friends to figure out where the root of a specific problem lies I end up with solutions like: "He might be the best boyfriend you've ever had but you've got to dump him because you're not compatible. Some people are compatible some people aren't."
I am saying involve him in the process. However the process you are using is wrong for the ENFJ. Instead.. of looking for the problems look for the solutions.Example
Bad Approach: You don't do this right!
Good Approach: I get mad/uncomfortable when X happens. How can I/we fix it?
Asking us in the form of a question would help the situation. We like helping as opposed to being the problem.
For me I tell my "Look you don't have to beat me up on the issue I already did for you!" when I make mistakes I really really really beat myself up more than you will. I have apologized people to death!
If he truly makes you happy then thats what really matters!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts