Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think feelers tend to be more extraverted than thinkers? Do you think they tend to be more warm/friendly too?
I know functions play a role, like ENFP is less as introverted among feelers because of secondary Fi, while ENTP has Fe, but I wonder if feelers tend to be more extraverted than their respective thinker counterparts? Would ENFP be less or moreso than ENTP, or the same? Or INTP vs INFP? or ISFJ vs ISTJ or ESTJ vs ESFJ? I guess it would depend.
I wonder if feelers come across as more warm/friendly/personable and agreeable too? At least on the surface.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I don't think extraversion has much to do with whether one is a feeler or a thinker - I for example know three ENFPs and I consider myself more extraverted than them. However, I do know thinkers who seem more introverted than their feeling counterparts so I guess the two don't really correlate that much. In my opinion the type doesn't define the person in a sense that the level of extraversion/introversion is likely to vary a lot within each MBTI personality.

It seems that feelers tend to seem warmer/friendlier/whatever though although I know exceptions to that as well.

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
I think extroverted feelers can come across as more friendly than extroverted thinkers, but it depends on the situation. I often use myself and my (I'm pretty sure) ESTJ brother as an example of Fe vs. Te. My brother will appear friendly if he's on a job, or if he meets a close friend or family member he hasn't seen in a while, but at any other time, he doesn't appear friendly at all. He has a pretty blank expression. I have a former INTJ workmate who would wear that same blank expression as well. I tend to smile a lot. I think it's an Fe thing to want everyone around you to feel at ease, not want to cause any unwanted tension among others.

Introverted feelers smile a lot, too, I find. Some appear friendly, particularly ESFPs. But ESTPs come across as equally friendly. I find it hard to tell the two types apart. I find Auxiliary Ti types can sometimes appear more friendly than Fi doms, and some auxiliary Fe types. It depends. Ti doms, sometimes come across as friendly to me, as well. It's really hit or miss with Ti doms though, I find. Some are friendly and some would rather be miles away from the nearest person.

I think the types that come across as the friendliest, in short, are the extroverted feeling types. But, I think that's an illusion sometimes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think extroverted feelers can come across as more friendly than extroverted thinkers, but it depends on the situation. I often use myself and my (I'm pretty sure) ESTJ brother as an example of Fe vs. Te. My brother will appear friendly if he's on a job, or if he meets a close friend or family member he hasn't seen in a while, but at any other time, he doesn't appear friendly at all. He has a pretty blank expression. I have a former INTJ workmate who would wear that same blank expression as well. I tend to smile a lot. I think it's an Fe thing to want everyone around you to feel at ease, not want to cause any unwanted tension among others.

Introverted feelers smile a lot, too, I find. Some appear friendly, particularly ESFPs. But ESTPs come across as equally friendly. I find it hard to tell the two types apart. I find Auxiliary Ti types can sometimes appear more friendly than Fi doms, and some auxiliary Fe types. It depends. Ti doms, sometimes come across as friendly to me, as well. It's really hit or miss with Ti doms though, I find. Some are friendly and some would rather be miles away from the nearest person.

I think the types that come across as the friendliest, in short, are the extroverted feeling types. But, I think that's an illusion sometimes.
Not saying Fe can't be genuine, but would you say Fi-driven friendliness tends to be more genuine/authentic?

·
Registered
745 Posts
My brother will appear friendly if he's on a job, or if he meets a close friend or family member he hasn't seen in a while, but at any other time, he doesn't appear friendly at all. He has a pretty blank expression. I have a former INTJ workmate who would wear that same blank expression as well. I tend to smile a lot. I think it's an Fe thing to want everyone around you to feel at ease, not want to cause any unwanted tension among others.
Definitely agree with your estimation of Te. My father is by and large, pretty unpleasant and always has a look of "don't talk to me" around the house. But if we have company? He's all of a sudden Mr. Family Man, enthusiastic, etc. He comes across like an Fe dom, but he fakes it. I actually thought he was an ESFJ for a while because of this, but he places way too much emphasis on logic and order for that to be the case.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't think people assume feelers are more extraverted; I think it's the other way around. I feel like we tend to describe extraverts in an Fe caricature - people sometimes act as if every extravert is outgoing with tons of friends and they spend their time sucking the lifeforce out of everyone around them. I always emphasize that extraversion deals with the external world, not just the people in it. So I definitely don't think feelers come off as more extraverted.

As for warmth, that all has to do with the perceptions of those whom surround you, and people tend to assume that dealing with value-based/people-focused systems means you must be super nice and friendly. Once again, we tend to assume Fe in these cases, as if Fe users go around questing to find the next person who can benefit from their empathic counseling. We have this association - in America and other masculine and individualistic societies - of logic-loving intellectuals and self-imposed solitary status. Basically, we think a person is super logical therefore super smart therefore totally socially inept therefore they must float around like an iceberg hoping to find some unfortunate ship to sink. So in MB terms, we assume a Thinker does their Thinking all on their own; lots of dichotomy tests act as if Ti is the only kind of Thinking, just like Fe is the only kind of Feeling. This brings up some interesting possibilities of subconscious premises, but that is a subject perhaps for another time.

In summation, we tend to grossly simplify functions, preferences, and types to make things easier according to some standard. Rather unfortunate, I think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fe-dom people come across as the most instantly likeable in theory. These types tend to make judgements very quickly based on how nice you are, after the judgment has been made they will extravert feeling judgement because they are so sure in their convictions (I.E praise, positivity, understanding). Fi-dom people theoretically are less sure of their feeling judgements because they are Percievers so they internalize feelings because judgements in the mind are a lot more flexible.
People who have Fe (TPs and FJs) in their function stack may come across as instantly more warm because if you are nice to them they will judge very soon that you are a nice person. While people who have Fi (TJs and FPs) take longer to adopt a warm persona.
So, FJs and FPs normally have the upper hand in terms of niceness but they are 2 very different forms of niceness with FJs niceness more extensive while FPs niceness more intensive.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think people assume feelers are more extraverted; I think it's the other way around. I feel like we tend to describe extraverts in an Fe caricature - people sometimes act as if every extravert is outgoing with tons of friends and they spend their time sucking the lifeforce out of everyone around them. I always emphasize that extraversion deals with the external world, not just the people in it. So I definitely don't think feelers come off as more extraverted.

As for warmth, that all has to do with the perceptions of those whom surround you, and people tend to assume that dealing with value-based/people-focused systems means you must be super nice and friendly. Once again, we tend to assume Fe in these cases, as if Fe users go around questing to find the next person who can benefit from their empathic counseling. We have this association - in America and other masculine and individualistic societies - of logic-loving intellectuals and self-imposed solitary status. Basically, we think a person is super logical therefore super smart therefore totally socially inept therefore they must float around like an iceberg hoping to find some unfortunate ship to sink. So in MB terms, we assume a Thinker does their Thinking all on their own; lots of dichotomy tests act as if Ti is the only kind of Thinking, just like Fe is the only kind of Feeling. This brings up some interesting possibilities of subconscious premises, but that is a subject perhaps for another time.

In summation, we tend to grossly simplify functions, preferences, and types to make things easier according to some standard. Rather unfortunate, I think.
But as a result they'd still associate feelers a bit more with extraversion than thinking.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fe-dom people come across as the most instantly likeable in theory. These types tend to make judgements very quickly based on how nice you are, after the judgment has been made they will extravert feeling judgement because they are so sure in their convictions (I.E praise, positivity, understanding). Fi-dom people theoretically are less sure of their feeling judgements because they are Percievers so they internalize feelings because judgements in the mind are a lot more flexible.
People who have Fe (TPs and FJs) in their function stack may come across as instantly more warm because if you are nice to them they will judge very soon that you are a nice person. While people who have Fi (TJs and FPs) take longer to adopt a warm persona.
So, FJs and FPs normally have the upper hand in terms of niceness but they are 2 very different forms of niceness with FJs niceness more extensive while FPs niceness more intensive.
Yes, the whole broad vs focused dichotomy can be applied to any of the functions, like Fi vs Fe, Si vs Se, Ni vs Ne, Ti vs Te.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the subject of feelers being more extraverted than thinkers, I would probably agree with that. If we look at why everyone is introverted or extraverted, it stems from how much dopamine we need to gain to be content. Introverts need less dopamine than Extraverts, so extraverts focus on the external world more because it is a lot more stimulating as it is a lot more unpredictable. Because introverts don't need as much dopamine they focus on environments that are more predictable (the internal world), where everything can be controlled. This is why introverts like to spend time alone because they are not continually creating dopamine rushes of "what's going to happen next?" because everything can be controlled.
This is why feelers are a tiny bit more extraverted, they focus on people/relationships more than objects.
People are a lot more stimulating normally than objects, they are not controlled and are more unpredictable than objects.

An ENTJ and an ENFJ may be focused on the external world to the same level, but Extraversion is not even about how much you focus on the external world,it's about how much dopamine you need to feel happy. In an imaginary situation of these 2 types preferred way of making decisions, the ENTJ focuses on making decisions based on standardised logic that are set in rules (Te). The ENFJ makes decisions based on values shared by a group (Fe). The values shared by a group are more fast changing and less obvious in nature, therefore more unpredictable in comparison to standardised logic that Te uses. Therefore it is a lot more stimulating because it is more unpredictable.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the subject of feelers being more extraverted than thinkers, I would probably agree with that. If we look at why everyone is introverted or extraverted, it stems from how much dopamine we need to gain to be content. Introverts need less dopamine than Extraverts, so extraverts focus on the external world more because it is a lot more stimulating as it is a lot more unpredictable. Because introverts don't need as much dopamine they focus on environments that are more predictable (the internal world), where everything can be controlled. This is why introverts like to spend time alone because they are not continually creating dopamine rushes of "what's going to happen next?" because everything can be controlled.
This is why feelers are a tiny bit more extraverted, they focus on people/relationships more than objects.
People are a lot more stimulating normally than objects, they are not controlled and are more unpredictable than objects.

An ENTJ and an ENFJ may be focused on the external world to the same level, but Extraversion is not even about how much you focus on the external world,it's about how much dopamine you need to feel happy. In an imaginary situation of these 2 types preferred way of making decisions, the ENTJ focuses on making decisions based on standardised logic that are set in rules (Te). The ENFJ makes decisions based on values shared by a group (Fe). The values shared by a group are more fast changing and less obvious in nature, therefore more unpredictable in comparison to standardised logic that Te uses. Therefore it is a lot more stimulating because it is more unpredictable.
Thats an excellent way of putting it! Yes, you're right, feelers tend to be concerned more with people, making things personal, so there's a greater INTEREST in people, even if it's online.etc. Plus yes they are a bit more unpredictable, so there's that too.

·
Registered
Retired
7,007 Posts
Not saying Fe can't be genuine, but would you say Fi-driven friendliness tends to be more genuine/authentic?
I think so. I find Fi types are... it's easy to tell if they like you. They make it known. With Fe's, sometimes it's hard to tell if they really like you, or they just don't want you to feel bad. That's probably why most of my friends have been ENFPs or INFPs. Not to say Fe's can't be sincere though. I do have an ENFJ friend who is capable of a great deal of sincerity. He's very friendly to everyone, yes, but he only becomes close friends with a few people.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think so. I find Fi types are... it's easy to tell if they like you. They make it known. With Fe's, sometimes it's hard to tell if they really like you, or they just don't want you to feel bad. That's probably why most of my friends have been ENFPs or INFPs. Not to say Fe's can't be sincere though. I do have an ENFJ friend who is capable of a great deal of sincerity. He's very friendly to everyone, yes, but he only becomes close friends with a few people.
Interesting. You'd think Fe would make it better known, but if you mean in a genuine way, yes, you could be onto something. It's not all Fi vs Fe either, that's a simplification. I think INFPs emanate a genuineness: okay that's sounding a bit precious, INFJs can too, but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Feelers aren't more warm/friendly. That is a myth, particularly when dealing with Fi.

Thinkers may be mistaken for more introverted than they are but no they aren't any more so.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nah. Extraverts seem extraverted and Introverts seem introverted, and whether or not you come off as 'friendly' mostly depends on how emotionally healthy you are.

·
Registered
655 Posts
as an Fi user, i'd have to disagree. i don't think of myself as more extroverted. i think i am warm, with certain people, but on the outside i'm more aloof and self-contained. i mean, if a stranger talks to me, i will be kind and polite, but i usually won't initiate conversation, which seems like more of an extroverted thing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
In reference to the response to my last post:

Yes, but "associate" does not denote in which direction the tendency travels (which may just be one of those nitpicky things for me; let's blame tertiary Ti). Because if the question is "Do Feelers tend to be more Extraverted than Thinkers?", my answer is no. Even if the question was "Do we perceive Feelers to be more Extraverted?", I would still say no. For example, if you told me to imagine the strongest Feeler I could, it would be an INFP friend of mine, who is certainly not extraverted. I do not personally conceive or experience F --> E. But if the question is "Do we associate Feeling and Extraversion?", then my answer is yes.

Not entirely sure if all that was necessary, (and my experience with Fi-dominant people leads me to believe you'll probably be a bit annoyed with it) but I did want to clarify.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.