Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greg Graffin, for those of you who do not know, is the lead singer of Bad Religion.

I'm thinking either INTP or INTJ. Your thoughts/opinions?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
You know what I'm thinking? Sounds like the name of a terrible band.

·
Registered
515 Posts
He's awesome. I have no clue what his type is. I've seen him live twice. Definitely an NT. But I can see ENTJ, ENTP, INTJ, or INTP. He does have very good stage presence which makes me think he might have Se. So that would likely be ENTJ, but then again his lyrics seem to scream Ti.

Hmm anyone else have any other explanations?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
If lyrics can have cognitive functions, then I am going to kill myself.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Hmm...the lyrics. Yes, I think they can indicate it. Graffin's lyrics have this..."you should fucking think about this shit but I'm not telling you what to do about it" aspect to them. He tells well-formed imaginative stories in less than two minutes. Combined with his less than E (sorry, @Ambiguous, I disagree...having seen them more than 10 times) stage presence I'd lean more towards INTP than anything else. I'd be much more inclined to call Brett Gurewitz an INTJ or ENTJ, but I don't know that much about him.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hmm...the lyrics. Yes, I think they can indicate it. Graffin's lyrics have this..."you should fucking think about this shit but I'm not telling you what to do about it" aspect to them. He tells well-formed imaginative stories in less than two minutes. Combined with his less than E (sorry, @Ambiguous, I disagree...having seen them more than 10 times) stage presence I'd lean more towards INTP than anything else. I'd be much more inclined to call Brett Gurewitz an INTJ or ENTJ, but I don't know that much about him.
I posted that last post quite a while ago, and its funny cause I was just thinking about this again the other day. Yeah I can see INTP.

I'm also very curious what his Enneagram type would be. I'm wondering if it's 6, or 8, or 5.

I'm leaning toward 8 right now but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I keep reading this as Meg Griffin.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I looked over who wrote which song on their early albums and it seems that Graffin has a thing for writing some of the more introspective and in a way, emotional song. He's not an expressive person at all, but I assume from his lyrics that he's a NF of sorts. INFx . Also, he seems in a mission of sorts against egocentricism.

"When? [from "Suffer", written by Graffin]"

I've seen a lot of things in five years.
I struggle just to hold back the tears.
But everyfuckingwhere I go,
I see the pathos that I know
Will spell the termination of us all.
Someone's got to tell me, do you see
That everything around you has a hidden tragedy?
Seeds of happiness have never
Found a place to grow,
And our generation doesn't know.
When, when will you try
To change the logarithmic face of kissing things goodbye?
When, when will you know
That human life is so short and death is oh so slow?
I've tried to make things make sense but I can't.
I'm happy just to watch them all and laugh.
And if you think you've got it made,
Just revel in your selfish ways,
'Cuz when the world stops turning so will you!
"

·
decorum worshiper
8,993 Posts
I think he's definitely an introvert. He's very soft spoken in interviews. I'd say INTP or ISTP, he doesn't seem like an Ni-dom to me.

When typing him you'd also have to consider his work in biology and his academic interests. Which might indicate INTP over ISTP.

You know what I'm thinking? Sounds like the name of a terrible band.
When you make a band that lasts for 30+ years and becomes one of the most influential bands of your genre I'll definitely be sure just to make some type of snide remark about the name.

·
Registered
535 Posts
You know, I just watched another interview with him and he's like he always was. The boring professor type that you can't imagine as being anything but a boring proffesor. No offense, I think its really cool that someone like him trowed himself out there in the punk world.

He said he's sensitive and even if one children thinks bad of him that affects him.
Yet I can see him as INFx from interviews, no way. He has neither the social tact of secondary Fe or the gentle non-conformism of primary Fi .
Neither he has the directness of INTJ's. Fe seems to be somewhere, aware of etiquette but non-expressive. INTP just seems to fit best with their repressed Fe and lack of Se.
That thing about him being sensitive at criticism seems so much like a feeler thing, but it could just be anxiety from not doing one's job right which INTPs can have.

Yeah, there's some emotion in his songs, but most of what he wrote is mostly characterized by the lack of it. If he's a feeler of sorts, he sure has trouble expressing it, which as an INFP I can understand, but music seems like the ideal place to finally release it, yet most of the emotion in his songs seems to be there out of necessity. He's mostly critical of dogmas but an INTJ would show more angry determination than him.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think he's definitely an introvert. He's very soft spoken in interviews. I'd say INTP or ISTP, he doesn't seem like an Ni-dom to me.

When typing him you'd also have to consider his work in biology and his academic interests. Which might indicate INTP over ISTP.

When you make a band that lasts for 30+ years and becomes one of the most influential bands of your genre I'll definitely be sure just to make some type of snide remark about the name.
Not necessarly his academic interests, but I would not choose ISTP because of complete lack of Se when performing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts