Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have noticed a few other members have posted threads asking for our verdict on whether we think they are INFJ's.

I hope nobody minds if I also create a thread asking the same thing. I understand that you can only base your opinion on my posts on this forum and what I present to you here may be different to how I come across in real life.

For those of you that have taken notice of my posts on this forum, do you think that I am an INFJ?

Thanks for your time! :laughing:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Here is a list of my 'traits'

· I do not take criticism well; however, I am learning the benefits of constructive criticism.

· Easily upset

· Sore loser when it comes to playing games!

· Patient

· Helpful

· Agreeable

· Constant need to please people

· Self motivated

· Polite

· Friendly

· Gentle / soft spoken

· Perfectionist

· Uptight / Serious

· Conscientious (this was on all of my school reports…)

· I try to see things from other people’s perspective

· I hate to see other people ignored

· My family are my friends. I have one friend who isn’t family.

· I feel awkward around people I don’t know and tend to be very quiet

· When someone expresses an interest in me this warms my heart and puts a big grin on my face.

· I much prefer to talk to people one to one.

· When I was in school I often felt overlooked by my friends. I would join in discussions and feel like no one was listening.

· One of the worst things someone can do to me is not pay attention when I’m talking to them. It’s like somehow my voice gets lost, unheard, especially in a group. I almost have to pick my moments very carefully.

· I suffer from anxiety disorder (something I’m learning to manage)

· My colleagues at work are always telling me that I am different from most people my age. One manager was even surprised when I told them how old I was, they said my level of maturity was that of someone much older.

· Seeing other people upset upsets me

· When something upsets me (happy or sad) I usually end up crying. I feel an overwhelming emotion inside and it is so difficult for me to hold back the tears.

· My mom said that when I was a child and she played ‘sad’ music I would start crying.

· I have a strong desire to feel connected, with everyone and everything. I use music, art, and writing to feel this connection. Music especially.

· I’m a terrible liar.

· I can be moody.

· Other people’s moods can effect my mood.

· I can get frustrated and come across as angry if I feel that someone does not understand my point.

· If someone asks me to do something I have a hard time saying no.

· I find it difficult to ask for help – I feel like I should be able to do everything on my own and be able to cope

· I am calm on the outside with a lot going on inside

· If someone brings up a subject I am passionate I will become very talkative and enthusiastic.

· Whilst I keep my life structured everything else around me is a mess…my bedroom is always untidy.

· Before I go anywhere new I have to know exactly where I am going, what time etc. For example I went to see a play in a theatre local to me. Instead of working out how to get there the night the show was on I actually worked it out several days before and I did a test run to make sure I wouldn’t get lost on the night. (This may be part of my anxiety disorder).

· I don’t like to commit to social events until I’ve had time to talk myself into going to them.

· I then (usually at night when I’m trying to get to sleep!) think about who will be at the event and start fantasising different scenarios and what I might say and do whilst I’m there. It’s almost like I am preparing myself.

· I’ve just started University and before hand I spent a lot of time working out my budget for the year. I worked out what I will need to take with me. I’ve created a folder just for Uni where I have put all my letters, finance and accommodation details.

· I find filling out forms a chore, organising car insurance etc a chore and I will often leave it until the last minute to do these things; however, I am learning to get things done sooner so it is one less thing to worry about.

· I have resigned from my job to go to University and my manager said she will miss me because I am dedicated, conscientious; I sort out problems and can see the bigger picture.

· Family sometimes refer to me as being naïve because I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt until I am proven wrong, but this doesn’t mean to say that I believe them I just tend not to voice my feelings about other people.

· In a group I tend to be the listener and will only contribute when I have feel that I have something worth saying.

· I look to others to check that my response to a situation fits in with how they are responding. (Such as laughing when others laugh).

· I sometimes feel that I have no opinions of my own and that I take on everyone else’s opinions. However there are some things I do feel very strongly about.

· At home I usually end up being the one to cook or clean (my brother is more than happy to let me do it...) However if I feel that I have done more than my fair share I will stand up for myself…but then I feel guilty for complaining.

· It takes me a long time to feel comfortable around people. For example I have been in my current job for just over 2 years now and it is only in the last 6 months that I have noticed how my behaviour is less controlled and I have begun feel like I can be myself around my colleagues. This includes speaking up and contributing ideas in group discussions.

· However, I have been at Uni for two weeks now and I feel that I have already worked out what my housemates personalities are like and how to meet their individual needs.

· I love to be creative, I jump back and forth between music, drawing, writing

· I used to work part-time because I found working full-time too emotionally draining. I need time to reflect and re-charge.

· I think about my future a lot and who I’d like to be to the point where I forget that in order to get to place I want to be I need to being doing the work now!

· I am often told that I am a good teacher and at work I was usually the one to train new staff.

· My average day consists of going on the Internet where I go on sites like this so that I can give my opinion on various topics. I like to learn so I will search topics that interest me and read about them/watch videos. I like to read, write, play music. I like to watch movies. I spend a lot of time ponder over what my life could be like rather then doing something bout it. Although I have started to do something by going to University.

· I think a lot about whether there is a God. So I watch programs about religion and Evolution. I still can’t decide whether there is a God or not. My heart wants to believe there is but my head says there isn’t. I just like the idea that there is something spiritual that connects us all. Like how the creatures in the film Avatar can connect to the earth. Or in the film The Fountain I loved the idea of being buried under a fruit tree so that when I die all the nutrients from my body are absorbed by the tree, which grows fruit, which in turn feeds the birds and animals. So my death brings life.

· I have a close friend who tests as an ESTJ. He seems to understand and accept me for being ‘different’. Not only that but he likes a lot of the same things I like which at first was really strange because I’ve never met anyone I’ve had so much in common with. He manages to bring me out of myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Oh, most definitly! If you don't mind, why are you asking?

·
Registered
294 Posts
When you posted your song a while back and talked about how you could play by ear and taught yourself...I had the thought that you might be an ISFJ, since Si is the function that seems to be most linked to memorization of tones, etc. But, that's just one isolated instance, so don't take my word on anything. Only you can know what Type you really are.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I have in past thought that you might be ISFP because several times you have described how much you feel when you are alone, and you generally seem to have very feeling harmonizing type of personality, which to me is indicative of Fi. You also seem to be more focused on a particular moment you're in. ISFPs occasionally mis-test as INFJ. Doesn't help that INFJs and ISFPs usually come out to be good friends in life, so then we feel comfortable interacting with each other over the internet too and there is a sense of belonging.

Only way to confirm which type you are is to read in detail about cognitive functions as you know yourself best - other people simply don't know you as well to give a very accurate evaluation :)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
INFJs can often resemble other types, so it is highly likely you are an INFJ. If you are something else my top guesses would be INFP, ISFJ, or ISFP. From what I have seen of you at PerC, I am pretty sure you are an IxFx.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I too think that you are a "true" infj, but there are many of us with competing/balancing P/J. If you are in doubt whether you are infj or infp, you could have a look here: INFJ or INFP? a closer look
Brilliant link! Thanks!

That gave me further evidence that I'm not INFP...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have noticed a few other members have posted threads asking for our verdict on whether we think they are INFJ's.

I hope nobody minds if I also create a thread asking the same thing. I understand that you can only base your opinion on my posts on this forum and what I present to you here may be different to how I come across in real life.

For those of you that have taken notice of my posts on this forum, do you think that I am an INFJ?

Thanks for your time! :laughing:
This tells me you are INFJ.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you posted your song a while back and talked about how you could play by ear and taught yourself...I had the thought that you might be an ISFJ, since Si is the function that seems to be most linked to memorization of tones, etc. But, that's just one isolated instance, so don't take my word on anything. Only you can know what Type you really are.
That's really interesting. I will have to look at that type.

With my music I make up my own songs and play them but it is much harder for me to play other people's songs from ear. I can sometimes work out bits of songs but I've never spent time trying to work out entire songs by ear as I'm pretty sure it would take me forever and It would most likely be wrong.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have in past thought that you might be ISFP because several times you have described how much you feel when you are alone, and you generally seem to have very feeling harmonizing type of personality, which to me is indicative of Fi. You also seem to be more focused on a particular moment you're in. ISFPs occasionally mis-test as INFJ. Doesn't help that INFJs and ISFPs usually come out to be good friends in life, so then we feel comfortable interacting with each other over the internet too and there is a sense of belonging.

Only way to confirm which type you are is to read in detail about cognitive functions as you know yourself best - other people simply don't know you as well to give a very accurate evaluation :)
Hi Vel,

Yes I'm definitely a feeler and I feel things deeply and often very overwhelmingly so. Do you think it would be worth me recording myself talking and posting on the INFJ videos thread? Are you able to tell much about the person from these videos?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Hi Vel,

Yes I'm definitely a feeler and I feel things deeply and often very overwhelmingly so. Do you think it would be worth me recording myself talking and posting on the INFJ videos thread? Are you able to tell much about the person from these videos?

Thanks!
Feeling can be of different types though - introverted or extraverted. If your feeling is introverted you will experience feelings most when you are alone introverting, thinking to yourself - this corresponds to IxFP. If your feeling is extraverted you will feel more when extraverting, interacting with people or pets or some living things - this corresponds to IxFJ.

I think you should just make a post in "What's my personality type?" subforum, that's at the very top. Then let people give their opinion. There is a questionnaire in Revy2Hand's thread that you can use - the more you write in form of answers the better.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Feeling can be of different types though - introverted or extraverted. If your feeling is introverted you will experience feelings most when you are alone introverting, thinking to yourself - this corresponds to IxFP. If your feeling is extraverted you will feel more when extraverting, interacting with people or pets or some living things - this corresponds to IxFJ.

I think you should just make a post in "What's my personality type?" subforum, that's at the very top. Then let people give their opinion. There is a questionnaire in Revy2Hand's thread that you can use - the more you write in form of answers the better.
Thanks I will take a look at that subforum.

I think I have a mixture of both extravert and introverted. When I am alone, for example, listening to music I can feel some very strong emotions. But then the other day I went to a drama class and a lot of the people there were VERY engergectic. At first I felt slightly overwhelmed because I'm not used to being around such energetic people, but then I started to feel evergised by this and felt that I too could be more expressive and loud and not worry about making a fool out of myself.

Then later back at home I felt very tired! haha. It was a lot of fun though!

·
Registered
294 Posts
But then the other day I went to a drama class and a lot of the people there were VERY engergectic. At first I felt slightly overwhelmed because I'm not used to being around such energetic people, but then I started to feel evergised by this and felt that I too could be more expressive and loud and not worry about making a fool out of myself.

Your Se was probably taking over in the moment...

Reactions: MissNobody

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your Se was probably taking over in the moment...
Interesting! So would that be:

INFJ:

Dominant: Introverted Intuition
Auxilliary: Extraverted Feeling
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

ISFP:

Dominant: Introverted Feeling
Auxilliary: Extraverted Sensing
Tertiary: Introverted Intuition
Inferior: Extraverted Thinking

Because the more I look into the ISFP personality type the more i'm thinking this could be me...but then again when I looked into the INFJ type I thought the same thing so I could be going round in circles here! :crazy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think I have a mixture of both extravert and introverted. When I am alone, for example, listening to music I can feel some very strong emotions. But then the other day I went to a drama class and a lot of the people there were VERY engergectic. At first I felt slightly overwhelmed because I'm not used to being around such energetic people, but then I started to feel evergised by this and felt that I too could be more expressive and loud and not worry about making a fool out of myself.

When deciding whether you use Fe or Fi you will have to think not what happened in one instance but do a long-term evaluation of yourself, and see which function one you use more naturally and more frequently. According to MBTI theory you cannot use Fe and Fi equally - one will dominate over the other. So if you think over many instances then you will see that you use either Fi or Fe more often.

INFJs can use Fi but sporadically. We mostly use Fe. ISFPs can use Fe also sporadically, they mostly use Fi.

Because the more I look into the ISFP personality type the more i'm thinking this could be me...but then again when I looked into the INFJ type I thought the same thing so I could be going round in circles here! :crazy:
ISFPs share INFJ's introverted intuition and extraverted sensing. But our decision making functions are different:
ISFP: Fi Te - introverted feeling primary, extraverted logic inferior
INFP: Fe Ti - extraverted feeling auxiliary, introverted logic tertiary

So if you can determine whether you use more Fi or Fe then you can establish your type correctly.

You can read more about Fi and Fe on these websites and remember that it is not 1 instance of each (INFJs can at times display Fi and ISFPs can display Fe) but which one comes more naturally to you, which one you use most often:
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
ENFP Wiki
Function Attitude

1 - 20 of 25 Posts