Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
When I walked into the men's room by accident all I got was strange looks...

Love the video. "Is this a cry for help?" :ROFLMAO:

But no, taking the knee isn't important when proposing. Doing it in a public men's room definitely beats some grand public spectacle. But the thought of it does make me laugh out loud, though. I'd prefer it to be someplace nice and private. Humor is a huge plus because I'd prefer a genuine expression instead of some forced romantic gesture.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I walked into the men's room by accident all I got was strange looks...

Love the video. "Is this a cry for help?" :ROFLMAO:

But no, taking the knee isn't important when proposing. Doing it in a public men's room definitely beats some grand public spectacle. But the thought of it does make me laugh out loud, though. I'd prefer it to be someplace nice and private. Humor is a huge plus because I'd prefer a genuine expression instead of some forced romantic gesture.
:D (y) Thanks for sharing your view...Glad you saw the funny side, and connected with the underlying concept. Do you know your MBTI personality type?

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
19,662 Posts
I did when I proposed to my future ex-wife. Right on her front porch.

·
Host
19,662 Posts
Did she seem surprised?
She was shocked. I arranged us to get portraits taken for Christmas that year. Now she had a ring to show off in the portraits.

Reactions: PersonaBelle

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
8 Posts
I think I'd prefer a discussion of marriage that leads to popping the question so that there is established certainty and I have ample time to think about it. I think I'd be a little embarrassed by someone 'taking the knee' - I wouldn't likely say 'yes' even if I wanted to, just out of shock, and I wouldn't want the other person to have to deal with what appears to be my hesitance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'd prefer a discussion of marriage that leads to popping the question so that there is established certainty and I have ample time to think about it. I think I'd be a little embarrassed by someone 'taking the knee' - I wouldn't likely say 'yes' even if I wanted to, just out of shock, and I wouldn't want the other person to have to deal with what appears to be my hesitance.
Thanks for sharing your insight, it makes sense.

·
Host
19,662 Posts
She was shocked. I arranged us to get portraits taken for Christmas that year. Now she had a ring to show off in the portraits.
ADDENDUM: We had been dating for 2 years at this point and we had an extended engagement. I proposed to her on January 29th 1997. We didn't get married until June 13th of 1999. We had talked extensively about it and were committed to one another at this point. Sadly, we would drift apart after 15+ years of marriage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ADDENDUM: We had been dating for 2 years at this point and we had an extended engagement. I proposed to her on January 29th 1997. We didn't get married until June 13th of 1999. We had talked extensively about it and were committed to one another at this point. Sadly, we would drift apart after 15+ years of marriage.
Must be hard to separate after such a long time together, are you still friends though?

·
Host
19,662 Posts
Must be hard to separate after such a long time together, are you still friends though?
So far we still text, but we live in different states. She recently got engaged again. I wish her happiness.

Reactions: PersonaBelle

·
Registered
788 Posts
“Surprise proposals” seems to be a romantic thing invented and introduced at some point. My wife and I just talk about it openly from the beginning. No surprises. My proposal was just asking her to marry me after a nice dinner. If we dated and didn’t marry, we’d breakup. If we didn’t breakup we end up married.

We focus on being good to each other and making the other happy and working at it. Everything else is optional icing on the cake for us. Even the wedding was icing. The actual marriage is the cake.

But if lack of “romantic gesture” actually affects “the marriage” then it's worth considering more. But every couple is different. We’ve encountered overly romantic couples. My wife and I just aren’t traditionally romantic, but we’re sweet to each other nonetheless and we’re happy with that.

TL;DR: If it really, actually matters to your long term relationship/marriage then do it. Work out together what’s important in a marriage.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Considering whether to accept marriage proposal is "Ne going..." this is why I need to leave the typology community.

Reactions: Joe Black

·
Registered
Mr. Blue Sky
1,644 Posts
Taking the knee is a gesture of submission, as is marriage. The two go hand in hand.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taking the knee is a gesture of submission, as is marriage. The two go hand in hand.
I can see how you are seeing it this way. Historically, its was originally supposed to be a mark of respect for the woman, as it's supposedly meant to be an honour for the man to marry her.

I found this on google:

"Kneeling is also done to genuflect when entering a church or temple. When proposing, kneeling can have the same spiritual connotation and can be seen as a sign of respect. Royalty: Knights kneel while being awarded honours from kings and queens. This can hold true for a proposal of marriage and can be seen as an honour."

I think the submission concept you brought up is interesting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whatever is sincere. There is old charm to the knee, and tradition, but I could imagine many ways and contexts in which that particular action wouldn't at all matter.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Then why doesn't the woman also do it? (As a sign of mutual submission)...and why was it started during times when practices / norms determined that women were supposed to be submissive to their husbands (man = head of household)?

• Haha
Reactions: Infinitus
1 - 20 of 30 Posts