Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and other people divvy themselves out more to their secondary and tertiary types than those people? And maybe that's why some people will say something like "Nah, I'm 100% 1w2, and tritype is horse shit.", and other people like me for example will consciously feel the motivations of our secondary and tertiary type. But please, if you don't believe in tritype, save trying to "convert" the rest of us.

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
It's possible, and I often see it in people. But usually it's their last fix they have little relation to.
If you can only relate to your core triad and not the other triads then I reckon it's a sign that you're out of touch with aspects of yourself.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible, and I often see it in people. But usually it's their last fix they have little relation to.
If you can only relate to your core triad and not the other triads then I reckon it's a sign that you're out of touch with aspects of yourself.
Or maybe it simply means nothing except that your more dominated by one type and wing. Just like how some people can be smack dab in the middle of a type and exhibit little of either wing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
im actl pretty curious cos I believe in instincts cos I confirmed my type and the desc is like wow I finally find out that im not the only one like that while my sis believe in tritype bcos she feel like it describes her wholly. then im jus like how is it that we both believe in so different aspects of enneagram? I actl dun geddit, how is it that some find themselves in instincts while others find themselves in tritypes?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Doesn't primary type mean it's the most dominant or influential type? If the secondary type is more influential then shouldn't it be considered your primary type?

Perhaps you're more intending a discussion of primary/wing vs. Tritype?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't primary type mean it's the most dominant or influential type? If the secondary type is more influential then shouldn't it be considered your primary type?

Perhaps you're more intending a discussion of primary/wing vs. Tritype?
You misunderstood. I didn't mean that some people use their secondary type more than their primary type. I meant some people use their secondary type more than other people use their secondary type. I was hoping and assuming that would be obvious. That's why I specifically said "than those people".

·
Registered
I demand the return of the crazy face! :crazy:
2,071 Posts
other people like me for example will consciously feel the motivations of our secondary and tertiary type
Same here. I'm 714. I experience the secondary type, strong 1 fix. But I don't feel the heart/4 fix very much, lol.

I do think some people have stronger and weaker fixes.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I guess the confusion is because I don't use Tritype. For me, secondary type has to do with the wing and not Tritype. It seems when using Tritype, the type/wing pair is being considered as one type, the primary type.

Regarding the OP, I think Tritype is "horse shit" because I don't experience my movement to other types as simply picking one from each center. It's too simplistic and arbitrary to describe my actual experience.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,935 Posts
and other people divvy themselves out more to their secondary and tertiary types than those people? And maybe that's why some people will say something like "Nah, I'm 100% 1w2, and tritype is horse shit.", and other people like me for example will consciously feel the motivations of our secondary and tertiary type. But please, if you don't believe in tritype, save trying to "convert" the rest of us.
I tend to think some people are extremely myopic when it comes to their type. They cannot see the other things that add "flavor" to their makeup. Also, tritypes are not universally embraced by all enneagram experts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a 853 with a very strong 7 wing and sx/so. The 5 is obvious. It's a very strong fix and makes me a much more intellectual and analytical 8. The 3 is sometimes evident, but it's much more remote and weaker. I've questioned it multiple times, wondering whether the heart type is a 2 or 4. But after comparing myself to 854s and a 582, it's clear that's not me. Plus, I am definitely "triple strategic," extremely capable of suppressing emotion in my decision-making and very strategic.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a 853 with a very strong 7 wing and sx/so. The 5 is obvious. It's a very strong fix and makes me a much more intellectual and analytical 8. The 3 is sometimes evident, but it's much more remote and weaker. I've questioned it multiple times, wondering whether the heart type is a 2 or 4. But after comparing myself to 854s and a 582, it's clear that's not me. Plus, I am definitely "triple strategic," extremely capable of suppressing emotion in my decision-making and very strategic.
I've sometimes felt that my 5 wing is practically as strong as my core 6, but I maybe feel that a little less nowadays. I think my 8 wing in my secondary 9 is very pronounced. Descriptions of the 468 tritype sound a lot like me sometimes. I have kind of a theory that I've explained before about how my secondary 9w8 plays out and interacts with my core 6's phobic and counterphobic reactions. I think both my secondary 9w8 and tertiary 4w3 are noticeable. I think some people who know the enneagram, but don't know me completely might even think I'm a 9w8. I also see a lot of how the 4w3 plays out in me having an "interesting" look and an "interesting" home décor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ock, it's interesting. I looked very 5ish for many years, but that was because I was in a state of disintegration to 5 for many years. In fact, when I look back, the descriptions of the disintegrated 8 who has moved to 5 fits who I was for much of my youth and adult life. That all gets magnified by the strong trifix on 5. This played out in MBTI as well. I thought I was an INTJ for years. It turns out that I was a depressive ENTJ.

My wing to the 5 is very likely 6. I can be very technical and analytic when needed, though I usually prefer direct action as the first course of action. I couldn't tell you the wing on my 3. I tend to be very protective of friends and caring, but that's likely explained by a stronger connection to 2 as a point of integration due to my primary SX instinct. The 3 heart type is definitely there. I can sometimes compare my progress with others and worry that I am a failure, even though the motivation for my achievements comes internally, rather than through external validation, but this is a fairly rare occurrence.

All this is fairly typical of 85x types. We are often xNTJs and less in tune with the heart. In my case, as an 853, I have all three types that suppress emotion in decision-making, which furthers that alienation.

I just had a thought after typing this. All this feels like too much talk and not enough action. It also feels narcissistic. I hope the lockdown ends soon so I can go back to conquering.

·
Registered
448 Posts
To answer the thread title, yes. That is the historical Enneagram.. It's dominant for a reason and if that seems ambiguous it just means there is more material to uncover. The primary type and the lines have so much depth it isn't even funny.

All you are telling me is that you can't speak to the depth, so you 'code' it with a parroted school of thought. What does this even mean?

The aim is to uncover what is existing, individually, for a person. Chances are, whatever you find will be consonant with general theory, it's organic after all? But it takes an investment, eg, self awareness, emotional honesty (even when it's ugly), partial release of the E-type, willingness to exist with something uncomfortable.

The primary non-starter for me with all these 'tri-type' things is that it's left so 'surface and behavioral', (convenient accessibility?) when humans are actually messy as fuck, full of emotions, fears and desires.

The only alternative theory that I have is that "tri-type" was created for people who wish not to access these things.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer the thread title, yes. That is the historical Enneagram.. It's dominant for a reason and if that seems ambiguous it just means there is more material to uncover. The primary type and the lines have so much depth it isn't even funny.

All you are telling me is that you can't speak to the depth, so you 'code' it with a parroted school of thought. What does this even mean?

The aim is to uncover what is existing, individually, for a person. Chances are, whatever you find will be consonant with general theory, it's organic after all? But it takes an investment, eg, self awareness, emotional honesty (even when it's ugly), partial release of the E-type, willingness to exist with something uncomfortable.

The primary non-starter for me with all these 'tri-type' things is that it's left so 'surface and behavioral', (convenient accessibility?) when humans are actually messy as fuck, full of emotions, fears and desires.

The only alternative theory that I have is that "tri-type" was created for people who wish not to access these things.
Well Idk. Tbh I don't really feel like I'm all that out of touch with myself, especially for a 6. But then of course I'm just saying that because I'm "not self-aware", right? That's a bit insulting tbh, but that's okay. I feel I have really explored myself through the years. I am an ISFP after all. teehee

·
Registered
I demand the return of the crazy face! :crazy:
2,071 Posts
I think it's the opposite-- a lot of people reject tritype because they don't want to think about how they respond to all three of the core emotions of anxiety, anger, and shame. I've especially noticed this with head types (and I say this as a head type). Let's just think-think-think and rationalize away our anger and shame! It seems (at least for some of us) our anxiety prevents us from wanting to delve into ourselves and honestly assess how we react to anger and shame. I think it's compounded for extraverted 7s, who may be uncomfortable with introspection on top of anxious about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it helps you actually make sense of yourself, regardless of others opinions on it trying to interfere with your process, then I'd say you're good, and naysayers can only invalidate parts of the 'system' they disagree with, not the people who those parts may work for in their own personal self-understanding/discovery.

If you know that what you're going for works, rock it, forget consensus, opinionated people and so called know-it-alls.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well Idk. Tbh I don't really feel like I'm all that out of touch with myself, especially for a 6. But then of course I'm just saying that because I'm "not self-aware", right? That's a bit insulting tbh, but that's okay. I feel I have really explored myself through the years. I am an ISFP after all. teehee
Understood, I realize I can be a real insulting piece of work.

Context: you started out being a real human, but then it went detached-human theory, I reacted.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Understood, I realize I can be a real insulting piece of work.

Context: you started out being a real human, but then it went detached-human theory, I reacted.
Not sure what you mean tbh. I'm not being a "real human" because I'm hypothesizing about the enneagram?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Full_fathom_4 Though this thread was kinda inspired by you, it was never meant to challenge you or what you believe. The thread wasn't directed at you at all. I was asking other people for their opinions because of genuine intellectual curiosity.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Full_fathom_4 Sorry, but I don't always obsess about who's feelings I'm gonna hurt with everything I say. I talk freely a lot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts