Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until the other day I always believed I was an INTJ but because of the quiz on this website and a lot of research, I now realize I'm an INTP

At the same time though I still have many INTJ qualities.
So my question is, do you think you can be more than one personality type?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't think there are that many people who fit exactly into one 'type', and since personalities and humans are such complex subjects I'd have to say I think it's possible to be more than one personality type.

I'm a borderline INFP/INTJ/INFJ (F/T & J/P are the only two that vary)... depending on the memories I recall in order to answer questions, as well as my understanding of the questions... but the most common result I get is INTP, and it's also the type I fit in best with.

Reactions: badgers

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Sure, we all have a combination of all Personality Types but it depends on which of our cognitive functions are the most dominant.

Then, there is that thing about putting on a mask in front of strangers and certain people and all that. I was convinced I was an INTP till my Fe started gnawing at my ankles. Now, I am not too sure. Made me look at the Enneagram Theory for a better explanation. :)

·
Banned
649 Posts
The answer is no. Besides, an INTP and an INTJ use completely different cognitive functions. Is your dominant function Ni (INTJ) or Ti (INTP)? Do you use your Ne to back up your Ti (like an INTP would) or do you use your Te to back up your Ni (like an INTJ would)? Figuring out the order of how comfortable and how well you use your cognitive functions would greatly help in distinguishing yourself as either an INTP or INTJ. Your personality type would be the order of cognitive functions that are the best fit with your own function order.
Cognitive function order:
INTP- Ti-Ne-Si-Fe
INTJ-Ni-Te-Fi-Se

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Well, depending on what cognitive function you're using, you could appear to be something else.
But what the MBTI tries to do is pick out the ones that you use the most, at least that's what I think.
I could appear to be an extremely sensitive, amiable, nice, and normal girl if I were to use my Fe a little more. But I'm usually more logical and withdrawn.
Depending on how good you are at switching between the functions, the more borderline you appear.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The answer is no. Besides, an INTP and an INTJ use completely different cognitive functions. Is your dominant function Ni (INTJ) or Ti (INTP)? Do you use your Ne to back up your Ti (like an INTP would) or do you use your Te to back up your Ni (like an INTJ would)? Figuring out the order of how comfortable and how well you use your cognitive functions would greatly help in distinguishing yourself as either an INTP or INTJ. Your personality type would be the order of cognitive functions that are the best fit with your own function order.
Cognitive function order:
INTP- Ti-Ne-Si-Fe
INTJ-Ni-Te-Fi-Se
This is exactly right. I'm new here but I've done a lot of research into the Jungian personality system and it is clear how much MBTI screws everything up with the dichotomies. There actually is no such function as P or J; those are just the groupings of N/S vs T/F, and determine which is extroverted (which you apply to the real world and which you apply internally). One can't be INTx and change according to their mood, the season, the phase of the moon or what have you, because doing that changes all of the functions (and their order, too).

What you may be seeing is some ways an INTP and an INTJ can seems similar in the results of their thought process. In the end, both are great critical thinkers and can come up with good solutions to different problems, but their way of coming to these are completely different. An INTP's lead is introverted thinking, supported by extraverted intuition, which means they see a bunch of possibilities and go in depth in thought about it (this is very simplistic analysis). An INTJ uses lead Ni to see the right answer with the model they've built internally, and use extraverted thinking to apply it and work out all of the practical things that go with that. I didn't explain it very well but that's sort of how it works.

A way you can tell between Ti and Te is how one speaks. If the person has to pause between spoken ideas to draw more from inside, he/she has Ti. If the person learns while speaking and make those connections through speech, he/she has Te.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It always seems like there's an NT side in me. Though if I look at the cognitive functions, I'm pretty certain I'm INFP. I've been thinking that maybe my Fi has gotten so ingrained and subtle and that I learned to use my Ti better consciously, but seeing as Ti is considered one of my shadow functions, I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It always seems like there's an NT side in me. Though if I look at the cognitive functions, I'm pretty certain I'm INFP. I've been thinking that maybe my Fi has gotten so ingrained and subtle and that I learned to use my Ti better consciously, but seeing as Ti is considered one of my shadow functions, I'm not so sure.
I rather doubt the existence of shadow functions... I think DaveSuperPowers put it best in his video about them (he has great MBTI videos). I'd post it here but I'm new so I don't have enough posts to do so (if you want to see it, look up DaveSuperPowers Shadow Functions).

The point is, as I see it, an INFP doesn't have Ti. And if you do, it's so low on your function order that using itinexplicably drains you. What you may have developed is a way to use Te in relation to your introverted feeling, allowing you to think about things internally but in the realm more of ideas than emotions. Or that could be something to do with development of extraverted intuition also.

One thing to consider also is your function order. I'm an INTP, so I have Fe, but it can sometimes seem like Fi because it's so low down on my function order. I don't make decisions on it and I keep it slightly hidden, not because it's introverted, but because it's not a large part of me and it's not very well developed at my age. The same thing could be occurring with your Te, making you believe it's Ti.

Reactions: Vin The Dreamer

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
A way you can tell between Ti and Te is how one speaks. If the person has to pause between spoken ideas to draw more from inside, he/she has Ti. If the person learns while speaking and make those connections through speech, he/she has Te.
By this definition I'm definitely Ti-dominant.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The test is definitely flawed in that it gives two polarized options (like E or I) rather than the sliding scale or spectrum that it actually is. Most people aren't entirely E or entirely I, etc. If you score lower on one trait, for example an INTJ who scores a low J, you may have INTP traits as well -- at least, this is how I understand it, but I could be wrong. << see what I did there? Uncharacteristic of an INTJ.

My personality is a mix of INTJ and INTP behaviours, and I usually score a low J on the tests.

I have met people who are very high in all areas and behave exactly like the written descriptions of their type... but they are few, I think, compared to the masses who aren't so polarized on their results.

Reactions: Draco

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The test is definitely flawed in that it gives two polarized options (like E or I) rather than the sliding scale or spectrum that it actually is. Most people aren't entirely E or entirely I, etc. If you score lower on one trait, for example an INTJ who scores a low J, you may have INTP traits as well -- at least, this is how I understand it, but I could be wrong. << see what I did there? Uncharacteristic of an INTJ.

My personality is a mix of INTJ and INTP behaviours, and I usually score a low J on the tests.

I have met people who are very high in all areas and behave exactly like the written descriptions of their type... but they are few, I think, compared to the masses who aren't so polarized on their results.
Except... with the Jungian theory that Meyers-Briggs is based on, it isn't a spectrum of dichotomies at all. In fact that's the problem with MBTI in assuming that it is and you're just one "one side" more than the other. No, it's based completely on your functions. A P makes your dominant perceiving function extraverted (your N or S), while a J makes the dominant judging function (your T or F). extraverted. I can resemble an ENTP sometimes, but that's because I'm using my Ne like an ENTP does. Meanwhile, an INTJ could look like an ENTJ by using their extraverted thinking.

It is not a sliding scale. One can use different functions at different times, and one can develop their functions differently, which can make it seem that way, but it isn't. Not from the fundamentals of the theory, at least. Don't trust the stuff you read from those tests and blogs online.

EDIT: Also, about scoring on those tests, note how they ask those questions. Not being on time to watch your soap operas (an actual absurd question on one supposed indicator) does not tell you whether you're P or J. It's just shorthand for your functions. Look at those, don't trust what the tests tell you. I once scored as INTJ and I am dead set on my being an INTP, based on the actual cognitive functions that drive it (Ti Ne Si Fe vs Ni Te Fi Se)

·
Registered
120 Posts
One fully developed, no, impossible. before the age of majority, yes, possible to slightly shift.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Except... with the Jungian theory that Meyers-Briggs is based on, it isn't a spectrum of dichotomies at all. In fact that's the problem with MBTI in assuming that it is and you're just one "one side" more than the other. No, it's based completely on your functions. A P makes your dominant perceiving function extraverted (your N or S), while a J makes the dominant judging function (your T or F). extraverted. I can resemble an ENTP sometimes, but that's because I'm using my Ne like an ENTP does. Meanwhile, an INTJ could look like an ENTJ by using their extraverted thinking.

It is not a sliding scale. One can use different functions at different times, and one can develop their functions differently, which can make it seem that way, but it isn't. Not from the fundamentals of the theory, at least. Don't trust the stuff you read from those tests and blogs online.

EDIT: Also, about scoring on those tests, note how they ask those questions. Not being on time to watch your soap operas (an actual absurd question on one supposed indicator) does not tell you whether you're P or J. It's just shorthand for your functions. Look at those, don't trust what the tests tell you. I once scored as INTJ and I am dead set on my being an INTP, based on the actual cognitive functions that drive it (Ti Ne Si Fe vs Ni Te Fi Se)
Hmm, okay. Then how would you determine what your type actually is without those tests? I also noticed the questions are ambiguous, for example "do you feel comfortable in groups" which will have different answers depending on the size of the group, so I never know what to put. I never really had complete trust in them.
I definitely have Ni as dominant, but there is so much on the INTJ boards that I don't agree with or relate to. I'm confused as hell.

Reactions: RoSoDude

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hmm, okay. Then how would you determine what your type actually is without those tests? I also noticed the questions are ambiguous, for example "do you feel comfortable in groups" which will have different answers depending on the size of the group, so I never know what to put. I never really had complete trust in them.
I definitely have Ni as dominant, but there is so much on the INTJ boards that I don't agree with or relate to. I'm confused as hell.
Well, the tests just HAPPENED to type me correctly, I went through all of the functions and looked at my thinking process and how I interact with others and, hopefully with negligible confirmation bias (lulz, we know how likely that is), I decided INTP was actually accurate for me.

If you think you have Ti (and thus Fe), the next steps involve where you have it. If you think you have it first, then great, you're either an INTP or ISTP (and you can examine how accurate this is with how naturally developed your Fe is). Now you have to decide if you have Ne (and Si) or Se (and Ni). Are you more excited by possibilities and what could be, or do you like living in the here and now, backing up your thinking with experience? Following up that, if you have the former, then is it accurate that you have a penchant for small details? Then you're Ne Si, which means you're INTP. If you're the latter and you do indeed sort of see the right answer, the long term solution, the overarching pattern, then you are indeed Se Ni and thus ISTP.

If you have Ni dominant (which would allow you to be INTJ or INFJ), then do the same thing with Te Fi vs Fe Ti. You just have to go through how you process, understand, and interact with the world. It's a bit screwy to understand at first, but once you get the hang of it the functional analysis is immensely more helpful than just the dichotomies. Myers-Briggs is more confusing and unhelpful than it seems. We are all Thinkers, we are all Feelers, we are all Intuits and we are all Sensors. What matters is what kind, and what your function ordering is.

Reactions: Poptart and badgers

·
Registered
120 Posts
Throw out cognitive functions. Go by temperaments. Functions confuse the hell out of anyone.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Maybe, I read the infp description and i find a lot of similarities with regard to sensitivity and emotional intelligence but i consistently test as an intp. I think i actively concern myself with the feelings of others and protecting those feelings more than other intps i know which often acts in my detriment when it comes to separating such sympathetic values from logic. I think this is just a matter of conditioning myself to be more compassionate and sensitive in order to function with my loved ones and friends. Since the functions within your MBTI are just preferences, theoretically, one can use the functions of any type that they want. Obviously, this wont be a natural occurrence because most people really don't even understand their MBTI or how to change it but it is possible.
I would think those that score borderline percentages can go either way and they probably just alter which preferences they use toward their surroundings (famiily life vs social life vs career life). I don't believe such an alteration is voluntary, people probably just grow and adopt whichever preference works best for them in specific instances. I really was never one to accept that your MBTI can't change, i think that it is more flexible and adaptable than that as opposed to, for instance, your DNA. n my opinion, the degree of flexibility of each type is truly subjective each individual.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the tests just HAPPENED to type me correctly, I went through all of the functions and looked at my thinking process and how I interact with others and, hopefully with negligible confirmation bias (lulz, we know how likely that is), I decided INTP was actually accurate for me.

If you think you have Ti (and thus Fe), the next steps involve where you have it. If you think you have it first, then great, you're either an INTP or ISTP (and you can examine how accurate this is with how naturally developed your Fe is). Now you have to decide if you have Ne (and Si) or Se (and Ni). Are you more excited by possibilities and what could be, or do you like living in the here and now, backing up your thinking with experience? Following up that, if you have the former, then is it accurate that you have a penchant for small details? Then you're Ne Si, which means you're INTP. If you're the latter and you do indeed sort of see the right answer, the long term solution, the overarching pattern, then you are indeed Se Ni and thus ISTP.

If you have Ni dominant (which would allow you to be INTJ or INFJ), then do the same thing with Te Fi vs Fe Ti. You just have to go through how you process, understand, and interact with the world. It's a bit screwy to understand at first, but once you get the hang of it the functional analysis is immensely more helpful than just the dichotomies. Myers-Briggs is more confusing and unhelpful than it seems. We are all Thinkers, we are all Feelers, we are all Intuits and we are all Sensors. What matters is what kind, and what your function ordering is.
Your responses are always so helpful. ^.^
Now I do have a question, I think I am Te because I always think out loud, as I said in the confessions thread. I talk to myself quite frequently. I don't hear voices or anything and I know no one is there, I just love thinking out loud. I deal with some of my biggest problems by saying them out loud, if they sound dumb when I say them to myself, then I know to forget that idea.
Would that be Te?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
And what if you do both?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Up until the other day I always believed I was an INTJ but because of the quiz on this website and a lot of research, I now realize I'm an INTP

At the same time though I still have many INTJ qualities.
So my question is, do you think you can be more than one personality type?
You can be weird variant of a type. Nobody is an archetype. That said, what qualities do you share with INTJs?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts