Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ENTP´s.
This post might also have fit in the education category. But I want your ENTP point of view on this.

Sooooo, I want to go to college/university/whatever you want to call a higher education institute. My situation is the following: I don´t have the citizenship of the country I live in which means I am getting 0 financial support from the state or my parents (they can´t afford to spare a penny), or my home country. I thought I could work, but I´d have to work at least full time to be able to ensure my living and the education and that wouldn´t leave me enough time to attend class and study. I tried looking for scholarships but I can´t find any that match my profile and I really really want to go to college. It was my dream since I was 10 to become a significant personality in this field (I want to become an engineer and I´m a woman) and I know that this is something that fits me because I´ve done so many introductions/summer schools/preparation courses in this major and I´m totally in love with it (I did that while I was in my home country).

It´s just that I really want this. And I am totally willing to work hard for it as long as it is something that brings me more knowledge in this field. So I thought I´d just start writing letters to different NGO´s who support women in research /science/technology hoping that they will consider my case and try to help me.

What do you think? Is it a dangerous move? Am I making fun of myself? Am I being too bold? Do you have any idea how else I could procede? Or how I could convince people of my case?

I´m really excited for this and I really want to study...

·
Registered
ENTP, 387
3,318 Posts
The way you describe your situation, it sounds like you have nothing to lose by going out on a limb and go a head with that plan. I most def don't think that would be making a fool of yourself. Sometimes you have to go big.

Things work differently in different countries, so besides that input I don't really have any other suggestions for you. Beat of luck though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Engineering has a significant financial safety net so long as you are certain you have the follow-through. Certainty requires that you've studied engineering for several years and absolutely love it.

It can't hurt to try your method.

I wish I knew more. You can also write to the schools you are applying to, their financial aid offices, post-acceptance? If your grades and achievements are exceptional, it may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way you describe your situation, it sounds like you have nothing to lose by going out on a limb and go a head with that plan. I most def don't think that would be making a fool of yourself. Sometimes you have to go big.

Things work differently in different countries, so besides that input I don't really have any other suggestions for you. Beat of luck though.
Thank you!

Engineering has a significant financial safety net so long as you are certain you have the follow-through. Certainty requires that you've studied engineering for several years and absolutely love it.

It can't hurt to try your method.

I wish I knew more. You can also write to the schools you are applying to, their financial aid offices, post-acceptance? If your grades and achievements are exceptional, it may be worth a shot.
I asked at everywhere without getting results... I unfortunately don´t have enough money to last through the first month of the semester so merit scholarships aren´t an option. I believe that I am able to follow through with this... I´m generally not that sure about important life decisions, but about this I am pretty sure...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hello @bluewolf30,

First, i commend you on your desire to reach your goal of being an engineer. It sounds like your very committed to it. Don't let that commitment fade.

You don't tell us what your home and adopted countries are. There may be good reasons for that, so i won't push it. However, it might be useful information. For example, here in the USA, you could receive such training from the military. For many Americans, the training the military offers is a major factor in their decision to enlist.. That may be the case where you are as well.

Many universities offer free or discounted tuition to their employees. I suspect you'll find this to be the case at one of the schools you'd like to attend. It would be worth investigating.

Many corporations have similar tuition assistance plans too. Consider getting in touch with the personnel offices of the larger engineering firms in your area, and explain your situation. They may be able to help get you a job with tuition benefits.

You might also consider crowd funding your education through one of the sites like Kickstarter or Indiegogo. There's a right way to launch such a campaign, so be sure to read everything you can about running a successful crowd funding campaign before you start.

You've said you would be willing to work your way through school and that's a very good thing. It may take some time for you to reach your goals. Maybe it will take you six or eight or ten years to complete your education going to school part time, but in the end you will still be an engineer, and it will be all the much sweeter when you finally arrive. So stay motivated and don't lose sight of your goal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Definitely check out if there are any scholarships financial aide etc you might be able to get, but I'd expect you should be able to take out loans to cover the cost of school.. of course it will depend what school you get into etc.. but engineering is financially secure lucrative field so should be able to pay em off loans in the future. It doesn't sound overly bold or presumptuous to me.. sounds like a smart responsible plan to me:) GoodLuck!!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello @bluewolf30,

First, i commend you on your desire to reach your goal of being an engineer. It sounds like your very committed to it. Don't let that commitment fade.

You don't tell us what your home and adopted countries are. There may be good reasons for that, so i won't push it. However, it might be useful information. For example, here in the USA, you could receive such training from the military. For many Americans, the training the military offers is a major factor in their decision to enlist.. That may be the case where you are as well.

Many universities offer free or discounted tuition to their employees. I suspect you'll find this to be the case at one of the schools you'd like to attend. It would be worth investigating.

Many corporations have similar tuition assistance plans too. Consider getting in touch with the personnel offices of the larger engineering firms in your area, and explain your situation. They may be able to help get you a job with tuition benefits.

You might also consider crowd funding your education through one of the sites like Kickstarter or Indiegogo. There's a right way to launch such a campaign, so be sure to read everything you can about running a successful crowd funding campaign before you start.

You've said you would be willing to work your way through school and that's a very good thing. It may take some time for you to reach your goals. Maybe it will take you six or eight or ten years to complete your education going to school part time, but in the end you will still be an engineer, and it will be all the much sweeter when you finally arrive. So stay motivated and don't lose sight of your goal.

Good luck!
Thanks for the crowdfunding idea.. I haven´t thought abou that before..

desire machine;32959050]Definitely check out if there are any scholarships financial aide etc you might be able to get, but I'd expect you should be able to take out loans to cover the cost of school.. of course it will depend what school you get into etc.. but engineering is financially secure lucrative field so should be able to pay em off loans in the future. It doesn't sound overly bold or presumptuous to me.. sounds like a smart responsible plan to me:) GoodLuck!!!!!
Thank you.. unfortunately my citizenship doesn´t allow me to take any loans...

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Interesting.

I found myself in a similar situation in as far as wanting an
education yet having life offer up no easy way to obtain it.

I did find a way around it.

I started working for a company that has engineers and
began the long road of using my naturel skills to ingrain
my worth to the company I work for.

After years of hard work and proving myself my work place
has decided to not only accommodate me going back to school
but indeed paying for it!

It is a long route to be sure but it worked!

I will be starting school early next year to become
an engineer on my works bank roll!

It may be a long, long road this way but in the mean time
you can support yourself through the job.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting.

I found myself in a similar situation in as far as wanting an
education yet having life offer up no easy way to obtain it.

I did find a way around it.

I started working for a company that has engineers and
began the long road of using my naturel skills to ingrain
my worth to the company I work for.

After years of hard work and proving myself my work place
has decided to not only accommodate me going back to school
but indeed paying for it!

It is a long route to be sure but it worked!

I will be starting school early next year to become
an engineer on my works bank roll!

It may be a long, long road this way but in the mean time
you can support yourself through the job.
Thank you. Why didn´t you try to ask for scholarships at different institutions?

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Thank you. Why didn´t you try to ask for scholarships at different institutions?
2 kids, 3 cars, mortgage .... 1 kid in braces the other in University..grandchild on the way

I could not stop working if I wanted to.

This is the only way at the moment.

I will clarify just a bit.
I am still going to have to work FULL TIME while I go to school part time.
SO my degree in effect is going to take the better part of 8 - 9 years while working.

That's why I said it is a very lengthy proposition.

But it is doable. And in the mean time I loose no pay and have
the school paid for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts