Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things to consider:

I go hard in the mother fucking kitchen,
Whole thang half thang, ***** I'm pitching!
Hit him with the soda make a ***** start whiffing.
Hit you with a choppa make a ***** start flipping!

-2 Chainz

Dreams of fuckin' a rap rap dude. (I'm just playin'. But I'm sayin'.)
Dreams of fuckin' a rap rap dude.

-Nicki Minaj

This is not to say that all current music is shallow, that would be an outright lie
But this new era of dancing to anything with a beat and ignoring/idolizing these over-sexualized simple lyrics makes me think the majority of us don't like thinking.

·
Registered
411 Posts
you aren't intellectually superior to anyone.
Isn't she? She could be. One's preference in almost anything is a sign of things. I mean, things don't happen for no reason or fall out of the sky. A smart person isn't suddenly hit in the head with a Nicki Minaj song when walking down the street one day.

It's rare that someone would so thoroughly enjoy music that is against their ideals because their ideals could very well counter the music. I think only masochists would do that.

If there's a person who has a high I.Q or is generally just concerned with reasonable pursuits AND they're not suffering from some heavy cognitive dissonance, but they mostly listen to the garbo like OP mentioned? I'd love to see this interesting person.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not on the topic of current popular music, which I don't like, but I'm a little older so not the target audience of this post... but talking about anti-intellectualism in general, I read the first Divergent book recently and I actually thought that was quite anti-intellectual. Seems to be aimed at Gen Z folk. I'd talk about why I think it's anti-intellectual in more detail but I don't want to derail too much or give spoilers, just thought I'd throw that into the discussion.

·
Banned
146 Posts
Im not too sure about anti-intellectual, but I'm pretty sure they are extremely ignorant. I mean this generation just focuses on either the details or the big picture. They don't consider everything else beyond media. They are really immature. I agree about the music. Is been getting harder to find good music. Even the non-mainstream music is getting influenced by those themes. I guess its all about "fun" to them. I've noticed a lot of.. hmm how do i put it.... "Fake" 7s, and "Fake" 4s. They either love to party, have fun and indulge themselves with things that would not benefit anyone, or expose their pain to the world for fame. Don't get me wrong, I'm overgeneralising. I am pissed at my generation. The 5s are getting harder to find. The real 7s, are seemingly hardworking, the real 4s are just hiding between all the noise and the silence.

·
Registered
260 Posts
you aren't intellectually superior to anyone.
No, she certainly isn't (even if she has convinced her self that she is), but it's quite normal for some members of 'our' generation to go out of their way to actively hate and revile anything that relates to it. They're 'old souls trapped in young bodies' - or that's what they would like to think.

Nothing but pretentious, contrived nonsense, by people who have deluded themselves into thinking that they're special because they don't like the mainstream. It's really quite odd - and I suspect these poor individuals have very few, if any, friends - hence their blinding resentment for their own peers (sad).

Though I suppose, if we're being fair, every generation has had people who have actively sought to disengage themselves from popular music of the day, simply because they deem themselves too good or smart.

Moving on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, she certainly isn't (even if she has convinced her self that she is), but it's quite normal for some members of 'our' generation to go out of their way to actively hate and revile anything that relates to it. They're 'old souls trapped in young bodies' - or that's what they would like to think.

Nothing but pretentious, contrived nonsense, by people who have deluded themselves into thinking that they're special because they don't like the mainstream. It's really quite odd - and I suspect these poor individuals have very few, if any, friends - hence their blinding resentment for their own peers (sad).

Though I suppose, if we're being fair, every generation has had people who have actively sought to disengage themselves from popular music of the day, simply because they deem themselves too good or smart.

Moving on.
The act of me hating a generation isn't me placing myself at a higher level. I'm not hating it because it's "cool" or "wow lets hate the mainstream lol so hipster"

I hate the mainstream for my own reasons. It's superficial, shallow, stupid, and bases itself on our very basic primitive functions rather than the thoughts and emotions we could also choose to exercise.

For example, in my town, everyone has meaningless sex with each other and no one wants a relationship, because relationships have feelings, and feelings are bad. So each night they drink and party to these songs where they don't have to have actual thoughts. I am actually actively discouraged from doing "smart talk" with several of my friends. Because they just want to dance, they just want to act on their physical reactions, focusing on the external world rather than on themselves.

It's disgusting and I don't understand why a person would avoid these wonderful things like thought and emotion. Maybe you're okay with constant evolution of generations, and maybe that blinds you to the fact that this one is full of fucking apathetic idiots, (you may think that's a curse word usage but actually that is the prevalent act), but leave me out of your value judgment.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not on the topic of current popular music, which I don't like, but I'm a little older so not the target audience of this post... but talking about anti-intellectualism in general, I read the first Divergent book recently and I actually thought that was quite anti-intellectual. Seems to be aimed at Gen Z folk. I'd talk about why I think it's anti-intellectual in more detail but I don't want to derail too much or give spoilers, just thought I'd throw that into the discussion.
I hated Divergent. I hated Tris's stream of consciousness and disliked her as a person. I actually took a pen with that one and underlined/made notes on all the parts I didn't like and why. It was very full.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Moving on.
I wanted to make a serious response so I tried to watch all of this.

But in the process I lost too many brain cells to say anything real so fuck this thread.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The act of me hating a generation isn't me placing myself at a higher level. I'm not hating it because it's "cool" or "wow lets hate the mainstream lol so hipster"

I hate the mainstream for my own reasons. It's superficial, shallow, stupid, and bases itself on our very basic primitive functions rather than the thoughts and emotions we could also choose to exercise.

For example, in my town, everyone has meaningless sex with each other and no one wants a relationship, because relationships have feelings, and feelings are bad. So each night they drink and party to these songs where they don't have to have actual thoughts. I am actually actively discouraged from doing "smart talk" with several of my friends. Because they just want to dance, they just want to act on their physical reactions, focusing on the external world rather than on themselves.

It's disgusting and I don't understand why a person would avoid these wonderful things like thought and emotion. Maybe you're okay with constant evolution of generations, and maybe that blinds you to the fact that this one is full of fucking apathetic idiots, (you may think that's a curse word usage but actually that is the prevalent act), but leave me out of your value judgment.
You think meaningless sex and drinking are the sole domain of Generation Z? Silly girl. If you actually bothered to do your research then you'd come to the conclusion that Generation Z are drinking far less than their older siblings and parents were - so god knows where you're getting this idea from.

Meaningless sex - are you an evangelist or something? You're coming across as very old-fashioned and judgmental - neither of which are attractive qualities. Hey, I like to have sex, but I don't always want to be in a relationship - so fucking sue me. it just so happens that sex is enjoyable and precedes romantic attachment??? Shocking, I know. Maybe you should try loosening up - you'd probably be less jaded. You notice your peers having fun, but you seem angry and irritated. You're the one at fault here.

Strange person. It's a wonder that you have any friends at all, when you're so intent on the idea that we're all 'fucking idiots' (I think you're talking about yourself, not anyone else).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You think meaningless sex and drinking are the sole domain of Generation Z? Silly girl. If you actually bothered to do your research then you'd come to the conclusion that Generation Z are drinking far less than their older siblings and parents were - so god knows where you're getting this idea from.

Meaningless sex - are you an evangelist or something? You're coming across as very old-fashioned and judgmental - neither of which are attractive qualities. Hey, I like to have sex, but I don't always want to be in a relationship - so fucking sue me. it just so happens that sex is enjoyable and precedes romantic attachment??? Shocking, I know. Maybe you should try loosening up - you'd probably be less jaded. You notice your peers having fun, but you seem angry and irritated. You're the one at fault here.

Strange person. It's a wonder that you have any friends at all, when you're so intent on the idea that we're all 'fucking idiots' (I think you're talking about yourself, not anyone else).

1. Yes, I believe meaningless sex is a bad thing. Not because it's "old fashioned," but because it's what I intrinsically believe.
2. "if I actually did my research" show me these sources? As for where I'm getting this idea from, I'm getting it from most people I know
3. I don't make friends with idiots, although I'm polite. Not "everyone" is an idiot. I'm generalizing.
4. You're trying to bring me into it because you see my generalization as an insult to yourself. I am sorry if you are part of this. Yes I still think what I think, but my belief that society is degrading is not the same as me saying I am "above you." You should be thinking in spectrums, not in hierarchies.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts

1. Yes, I believe meaningless sex is a bad thing. Not because it's "old fashioned," but because it's what I intrinsically believe.
2. "if I actually did my research" show me these sources? As for where I'm getting this idea from, I'm getting it from most people I know
3. I don't make friends with idiots, although I'm polite. Not "everyone" is an idiot. I'm generalizing.
4. You're trying to bring me into it because you see my generalization as an insult to yourself. I am sorry if you are part of this. Yes I still think what I think, but my belief that society is degrading is not the same as me saying I am "above you." You should be thinking in spectrums, not in hierarchies.
People like you are more annoying than the people you're complaining about, you know. I'm a loser with no friends outside the internet and not even I would want to be your friend. You're just mean.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Things to consider:

I go hard in the mother fucking kitchen,
Whole thang half thang, ***** I'm pitching!
Hit him with the soda make a ***** start whiffing.
Hit you with a choppa make a ***** start flipping!

-2 Chainz

Dreams of fuckin' a rap rap dude.

-Nicki Minaj

This is not to say that all current music is shallow, that would be an outright lie
But this new era of dancing to anything with a beat and ignoring/idolizing these over-sexualized simple lyrics makes me think the majority of us don't like thinking.
You are going off a false premise. Making bad music has little to do with being intellectual. Not all people who listen classical music are intellectuals, just as not all people listening to shitty music are stupid.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Isn't she? She could be. One's preference in almost anything is a sign of things. I mean, things don't happen for no reason or fall out of the sky. A smart person isn't suddenly hit in the head with a Nicki Minaj song when walking down the street one day.

It's rare that someone would so thoroughly enjoy music that is against their ideals because their ideals could very well counter the music. I think only masochists would do that.

If there's a person who has a high I.Q or is generally just concerned with reasonable pursuits AND they're not suffering from some heavy cognitive dissonance, but they mostly listen to the garbo like OP mentioned? I'd love to see this interesting person.
Well, it also has to do with your functions. Before looking at your type, I guessed you are Fi dom. :wink: Fi doms generally like music that helps them improve themselves.
They also relate to it a lot, almost to the point where they identify with a song. You should understand however, that it is not the same for everyone :kitteh:.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts