Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... I wrote a whole paragraph but then I deleted it. I don't really know how to explain this.

I mean this thought occurred to me.... that people are people and that they aren't perfect. And sometimes they can let you down. Thus, is it wise for us to adore people, especially people we don't know(famous/talented ones) ? Should we only place our faith in those closest to us?

I suddenly feel stupid for admiring people who I label as special when they could really be assholes in real life.. I don't even know why this is bothering me so much.

·
Registered
751 Posts
There aren't any famous people who I love to the point where I'd lift them to a higher status than anyone I know in real life. I don't really see much of a benefit in having idols or people to look up to, I'd rather just do my own thing and try my best to be satisfied with myself rather than trying to follow someone else's footsteps.

Though that's kind of an idealistic statement since there are qualities and accomplishments that other people have made that I'd like to do or have someday. I think it's only dangerous if you take it too far by placing unrealistic expectations on someone who will only turn out to be disappointingly human.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hrm... I spent a fair bit of time thinking about this(and like you deleted a whole paragraph before actually writing something postable). I guess it's always good to have someone to look up to, or adore(some would say that's Zooey Deschanel for me but that's another story for another time) but at the end of the day you shouldn't be investing yourself in the person, but what they do with their lives. If you ending up idolising a person instead of, well, thinking of them as a role-model(that implies you know very well they have flaws) there will be problems somewhere along the line.

So to answer your question, idolising people can be very bad, but 'believing' in people in general probably is a good thing... I try to do it all the time as it usually brings the best out in people.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I don't think anyone should place their faith in a human. Humans are vile, horrible creatures. They let people down over and over and over again. Put your faith into religion.

I do encourage finding someone who has a talent or quality that you aspire to have, and admiring the quality/talent and what it took to get there. Don't admire and/or idealize the person.

**Placing faith into a person is different than encouraging and being a friend, etc, to them.

Reactions: pericles

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't really idolize famous people and I'm usually extremely forgiving. However, there was someone close to me who I really believed in and sort of ended up betraying me. I've been having a difficult time getting over it, so I guess its dangerous. I'm less trusting than I used to be. But I still believe in innate goodness in everyone. Is that weird? :s

·
Registered
272 Posts
I mean this thought occurred to me.... that people are people and that they aren't perfect. And sometimes they can let you down. Thus, is it wise for us to adore people, especially people we don't know(famous/talented ones) ? Should we only place our faith in those closest to us?
It's not wise to believe that people will be perfect and won't let you down.

But, that doesn't mean that that you can't put your faith and trust in people. It really depends on whether you view humanity as most selfish creatures, or that most people are reasonably well intentioned (especially those that are within your special circle.)

Course, that doesn't mean that you can't bump into the wrong person, it's just something you'll have to learn to recognise using your own judgement.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I believe in their potential to be great, but I am ever mindful that they might not do anything with that potential.

People, in general, are fallable. To expect anyone to be perfect is unrealistic. Put noone on a pedestal, as that is when you will feel disappointed. People are people no matter what, and we have to remember that. Even the best people have their days. Expect nothing, and forgive others when they're wrong just as you would like to be forgiven. If someone repetitively treats you badly or unequally, cut ties. There's a difference between being forgiving and not having respect for yourself. Anyhow, I believe I have started to ramble. Believe in noone but yourself... that is my advice. Believe in others' potential, but not in THEM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts