Personality Cafe banner

Do you think it's likely we will evolve like this?

• Yes

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • No

Votes: 58 59.8%
  • No idea

Votes: 32 33.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
I chose the cop-out answer "no idea" because while I agree that our facial features will evolve I don't think it will be to the severity this guy depicts. I won't doubt it, but it just seems pretty unlikely.

If your poll was only yes or no I would probably say yes, because I believe we will evolve physically over the next few generations. If not by natural evolution then probably genetic reconstruction / stem cell stuff (I apologize my knowledge of stems cells and genetics is pretty basic)

added @Cael I should have watched your video first, I agree with what he is saying.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The artist has incentive to exaggerate some features perhaps to get attention on his work.

It makes sense that foreheads would become bigger perhaps to store larger brains.

The eyes would become larger as we might be living in dimly lit planets or moons far away from suns.

It's possible. The forehead part makes sense as I believe that we will have better nutrition, lifestyles and need for a larger brain. The eyes part is questionable. There would probably be technology so even in a dimly lit environment we may not need large eyes. And I'm not sure exactly that we would need larger eyes. With technology of lighting even more advanced in the future, it's not like the people with current sized eyes would die out and leave only the people with larger eyes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope not. But maybe I should time travel and become a fashion designer and design huge sunglasses and mega hats.

Is it only the eyes and forehead that would change? If enviornment is involved, how does our use of technology play into it. Much to think about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So were gonna look like anime characters?

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
It's highly unlikely. Very soon, we'll be giving the middle finger to mother nature and taking evolution in to our own hands. It's far more likely that we'll become an incredibly attractive race (we are vain, after all) whose cognitive abilities are greatly enhanced by integrated technology and / or genetic engineering. Think along the lines of Arnie in his prime, albeit 8ft tall with an IQ of 600+ ;-)

We will choose how we evolve, ultimately.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Simply put no. I am inclined to think humans will fit The City and The Stars books interpretation of the perfect human more: inherited memories, more optimised senses and minds, doing away with superfluities such as nails or excessive hair growth (adapted to suit the environment more) and shrinking of facial features so smell or taste cannot become clogged when overstimulated in new environments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, the artist is expression the long-term trend towards neotenised features. If you look at the direction the homo genus has taken, the trend towards youthful features is clear. These include large foreheads and large eyes, as well as longer body relative to limbs, upright posture, etc. Even today, society finds (especially women) with neotenised features to be more attractive. Even a slight preference will steadily drive evolution in that direction.

The artist's depiction is probably reasonable for a couple of hundred thousand years in the future, this is not a short-term thing.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Anyone read this?
(Dixon did a series of books on alternative evolution - The New Dinosaurs, & After Man: A Zoology of the Future. This was - as a primary school kid - the scary one. You've been warned.)

Plot summary from Wikipedia:

The book begins with the impact of genetic engineering. For 200 years modern humans morphed the genetics of other humans to create genetically-altered creatures. The aquamorphs and aquatics are marine humans with gillsinstead of lungs. One species - the vacuumorph - has been engineered for life in the vacuum of space. Its skin and eyes carry shields of skin to keep its body stable even without pressure. Civilization eventually collapses, with a few select humans escaping to colonize space. The humans that manufactured these species degrade to simple farmers and following a magnetic reversal, were driven to extinction. Other humans, the Hitek, become almost totally dependent on cybernetic technology. With Magnetic reversal imminent, the Hitek built genetically altered humans to occupy niches: Genetically-altered humans include a temperate woodland species, a prairie species, a junglespecies, and a tundra-dwelling species.
Since then the genetically-altered humans must face a new phenomenon. They can no longer be genetically tweaked in a lab, so all modifications must naturally evolve. Many new forms resulted from natural selection. Socials, colonial humans with a single reproductive parent, Fishers, otter-like fishing humans, Slothman sloth-like humans, Spiketeeth, saber-toothed predatory humans, and even parasitic humans developed through natural changes.
After five million years of uninterrupted evolution, the descendants of modern man that retreated into space returned. Then the world changed dramatically. Earth was xenoformed and covered in vast alien cities. The humans and other life forms in this new Earth must breathe air with low oxygen content. Thus the alien invaders use cyborg-technology to fuse the bodies of the few human species they find useful on the planet with air tanks and respiration systems. Genetic modification also returned and giant building humans and tiny connection humans were bred to aid city construction. Genetically created horse-like men serve as mounts for the invaders. Some engineered human species even became farmed like pigs or cattle. As with all civilization, this new era of man fell apart once again.
Eventually the spacefaring humans left, the Earth was left in ruins. With barely any oxygen left in the Earth's atmosphere, all terrestrial life on the planet perished. At the bottom of the world's oceans, at the oases that were the underwater hot springs, life continues. In the abyss, was Piscanthropus profundus, a deep-sea descendant of the now-extinct Aquatic evolved. It is implied that Piscathropus profundus would eventually recolonize Earth's surface.

According to Dixon, we'll probably end up looking like these:

Sweet dreams!

·
Banned
465 Posts
I think we will end up looking like this:

Some of us already do.

Anyway, the answer is no (actually "hell no, this shit is fucking ridiculous"), because I can see no possible evolutionary advantage such a thing would provide, unless we are invaded by a race of cartoon aliens and develop a need to camouflage ourselves. Plus we've looked more or less the same for thousands of years already. And then a simple click on the article link reveals this:

"For what it’s worth, I think Lamm’s work is conceptually cool, but wanted to get on-the-record that this is dreaming, not science," Matthew Herper wrote in Forbes, adding that the images had caused a stir among some scientists and science communicators.
The Huffington Post reached out to biologist Dr. Mark Siegal, an associate professor at New York University, to get his thoughts on the matter, but he declined: "Sorry, but I find this so far outside the realm of evolutionary biology that I'd rather not comment."

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
If you look at the direction the homo genus has taken, the trend towards youthful features is clear. These include large foreheads and large eyes, as well as longer body relative to limbs, upright posture, etc.
Let us not ignore people who are attracted to cougars and sugar daddies here

No really, some people don't want to have sex with you if you look too young

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, let's think about why this is plausible. It is true that there is a positive correlation between social group size and brain size, and it is also true that the number of people we deal with on a daily basis has increased dramatically in a relatively small period of time. It's reasonable to conclude that evolution will continue to favour people with larger brains.

So, how might we end up with larger brains? One of the simplest ways is through neoteny, whereby we retain childlike proportions into adulthood, and a side-effect of this would be the large eyes. It's simple because it involves few genetic mutations, and that simplicity coupled with the potential advantages makes it plausible.

(And yeah, if obesity trends continue, we will probably also end up being like the Wall-E humans.)

·
empty calories
992 Posts
It makes sense that foreheads would become bigger perhaps to store larger brains.

The eyes would become larger as we might be living in dimly lit planets or moons far away from suns.

It's possible. The forehead part makes sense as I believe that we will have better nutrition, lifestyles and need for a larger brain. The eyes part is questionable. There would probably be technology so even in a dimly lit environment we may not need large eyes. And I'm not sure exactly that we would need larger eyes. With technology of lighting even more advanced in the future, it's not like the people with current sized eyes would die out and leave only the people with larger eyes.
animals would certainly evolve big eyes for living in the dark, but the life of a human is a lot different than that of a nocturnal animal... The eyes of humans would most likely increase in size simply due to sexual selection.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.