Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I do believe that some miscommunication can arise from said differences and can see how birds of a feather might flock together, but given that everyone is capable of both S and N I’d be inclined to say it is not as dramatic as most people make it out to be.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
No, not at all. There is a middle ground and most people are probably much closer to it than they think.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There's a lot of things people can disconnect with each other over: politics, religion, generational experiences, money, favorite colors, food preparation, morning vs night people, sega vs nintendo, windows vs mac, redheads vs brunettes, etc. None of those have anything to do with N or S preferences. The whole N/S divide that some people report is just a cypher for some other disagreement, plain and simple.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
High-functioning "commonalities," makes one susceptible [if not many humanoids]; for mistyping and mistakes. How "often," do humanoids confuse themselves with rocks, drain pipes or kitchen knives? :rolleye:

Anyway, 'sensors/intuitives' come in degrees. Which means distinctions; not differences. Some distinction(s) make differences - and some don't.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Their behaviors are the only thing different. Intuitives and sensors are both regular human beings. There's evil and good.
I always wonder why there should be a special snowflake kind of shit going on with intuitives.

Actually, the one who always complain of not being able to connect are intuitives. Why? It's due to the lies in the heads.

Intuitives are being in their heads too much. There's no problem on that if what they will think are useful ideas. Then they can be more advantageous.

Sensors also feel disconnected. They just don't have the capability to analyze stuffs too much. Like they mostly see things as it is.

Intuitive overanalyzes, so they are more prone to have stronger opinion regarding the "disconnection" issues.

It's just the matter of how strong someone's opinion is - Which intuitives always win at.

Each one of us feel disconnected. No one is special.

·
Registered
118 Posts
because sj types are most likely to have children and people who have kids are more likely to have lower iqs so when they born a N the N notices how flawed, dull and irrational the sjs parent logic is. Most of it is just from bad experience

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,762 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
because sj types are most likely to have children and people who have kids are more likely to have lower iqs so when they born a N the N notices how flawed, dull and irrational the sjs parent logic is. Most of it is just from bad experience
I guess you have hundreds of children then. If not thousands.

Reila said:
I am of the opinion that there is no S/N divide. It is all about the cognitive functions, not silly dichotomies.
You know very well what he meant. This is such a non-answer. The 'silly' dichotomies are build upon cognitive functions. Let me rephrase the question then:

Do you think a person with a preference for Si or Se is really that different from a person with a preference for Ni or Ne?

@OP: To be honest I think the N/S dichotomy is the least impactful. Every single person should learn to be good at theoretical reasoning, practical reasoning, creativity, memorialisation, concretizing and abstracting. No matter the preference. And if someone has problems with one field, they should practice it twice as hard.

Why a person wants to intentionally cripple their cognition is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I think it represents the biggest divide in thought process between all the letter combinations. When I see how someone thinks it's usually pretty easy to tell whether or not they would fit on the N or S side. So in communities like this where we mainly see each other sharing thoughts, I think the divide would be the biggest. But if you are half way in between you may feel like you can relate to both sides like @Aluminum Frost who seems to be halfway in between INTP and ISTP.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am of the opinion that there is no S/N divide. It is all about the cognitive functions, not silly dichotomies.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Do you think a person with a preference for Si or Se is really that different from a person with a preference for Ni or Ne?

Chill out, human specimen. I wasn't even talking to you. Doom_Knight, more like White_Knight.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel like S/N is the weakest for a few reasons:

1. People have a harder time knowing where to draw the line between what's sensing and what's intuition, they seem to bleed into each-other more than other dichotomies.

2. Outside of the mbti community who complains about the differences between themselves and people of the opposite perception preference? I've yet to see it. The other 3 though? People complain about all the time outside of mbti.

3. The people who say there's a divide can never really coherently explain why they think that.

I am open to hearing why other people would disagree though.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess you have hundreds of children then. If not thousands.

You know very well what he meant. This is such a non-answer. The 'silly' dichotomies are build upon cognitive functions. Let me rephrase the question then:

@OP: To be honest I think the N/S dichotomy is the least impactful. Every single person should learn to be good at theoretical reasoning, practical reasoning, creativity, memorialisation, concretizing and abstracting. No matter the preference. And if someone has problems with one field, they should practice it twice as hard.

I agree with both of you

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I don't buy the whole function thing anymore.

Basically only the two middle letter in the type corrolate in what the person's type would be, in this case it either be NF,NT,ST, or SF. The next part would be whether you're introverted or extroverted, in which you show whether you express feeling/thinking inwards or outwards, while J/P basically refers to whether you prefer to use T/F over N/S.

One thing I don't understand is the introverted section, why is an ISFJ, who is a judger along with being a introvert, have Si as their dominant? Shouldn't it be Fi since that's their judging function? Why the hell are they a judger when their dominant function is a PERCEIVING FUNCTION?

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
In my experience, N/S is the biggest divide in ease of communication, especially at an acquaintance/work level, so before people get so close that other differences become an issue.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I feel like S/N is the weakest for a few reasons:

1. People have a harder time knowing where to draw the line between what's sensing and what's intuition, they seem to bleed into each-other more than other dichotomies.
I do believe that certain people like to blur them but it's mainly to make cognitive function theory work for them.
2. Outside of the mbti community who complains about the differences between themselves and people of the opposite perception preference? I've yet to see it. The other 3 though? People complain about all the time outside of mbti.
It usually isn't stated in such direct terms, like intuitives getting frustrated with sensers for being shortsighted or not looking outside of the box, and sensers getting frustrated for intuitives for forgetting concrete information and living in their own fantasy world.

As shown above, S/N was observed to have a significant correlation with the most measured things (49% of things tested had a S/N correlation while it'd be expected to be 5% by random chance).

On the flip side, S/N x J/P correlations and F/T x J/P correlations were completely within the realm of what would be expected by complete randomness if they had no effect at all (by that it means there is no evidence for function axes based on MBTI results and suggests that we should use only single letters to make predictions based on MBTI results, perhaps with the lone exception of I/N x P/S correlations).

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do believe that certain people like to blur them but it's mainly to make cognitive function theory work for them.

It usually isn't stated in such direct terms, like intuitives getting frustrated with sensers for being shortsighted or not looking outside of the box, and sensers getting frustrated for intuitives for forgetting concrete information and living in their own fantasy world.

As shown above, S/N was observed to have a significant correlation with the most measured things (49% of things tested had a S/N correlation while it'd be expected to be 5% by random chance).

On the flip side, S/N x J/P correlations and F/T x J/P correlations were completely within the realm of what would be expected by complete randomness if they had no effect at all (by that it means there is no evidence for function axes based on MBTI results and suggests that we should use only single letters to make predictions based on MBTI results, perhaps with the lone exception of I/N x P/S correlations).
I just meant in general, I wasn't referring to functions. By letters it's not defined well either.

I honestly don't know how to read that chart.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts